Howard Pulley Day 1 Rundown

jmag21

Reaction score
I see that KSTP beat me to the punch with their video highlights. Mine aren't on as high-quality a camera, but I still captured some good moments. First, let me say that the first game was actually quite fun, despite having no (current) Gophers. There were some impressive players for Pulley. Zierdan looked very savvy, but perhaps a bit slight to be a prospect for us. There was a big rangy left-hander who looked like he had a bunch of potential, and a kid with an odd J in his last name from St. Thomas who could really shoot. Other than that, I didn't care that much, because I was there to see Gophers, and I wasn't disappointed. So, here's my rundown of the four people I came to see.

First, Halverson's very athletic. Very. Unfortunately, he can't rebound, which is what we need from a hustle guy. Granted, he was going against some beefy guys, but his court awareness wasn't that great either. Plus, his offensive game is very limited. However, his athleticism means that he could be an energy guy when we need to press or something.

Second, Coleman had a lot of points, but a ton of shots. And they weren't going in. Most of his points were from the stripe, which is fine, we need an aggressive player, and I like his attitude. However, his decision-making was questionable all night. Too often dribbled into double-teams, threw up ill advised shots, and could not BUY a jumper. He'll be okay, but I'd be surprised if he was a big-time contributor this year.

Third, Andre is the real deal athletically. Very, very quick. His shot has a bit of a hitch in it, and he takes too long to get it off. However, he can get around guys, make his own shot, and sink it. Plus, he plays tough D, and looks like he's having fun out there. He's got good court vision, was making good passes, and generally looks like he may be able to help us out of the point guard spot. Again, this is Pulley, so you can't anoint him just yet, but it's easy to see that the kid's athletic, smart, and tough to stay in front of. I'm excited to see him in the maroon and gold.

Fourth, the undisputed star of the night was Oto. That kid was a revelation. His shot is absolutely pure. If he shoots like that for us, we can stop worrying about Blake. And I'm serious. It was that sweet (check the highlights if you don't believe me). Plus, he played physical in the post, blocked several shots, bodied people and was aggressive, AND, showed a very unexpected athleticism. He was able to go by people, get in the lane, and finish. I was very, very impressed, and again, although I know it's Pulley, and D was not always evident, a few things are clear. Oto's a legit 6'8 to 6'9. He's extremely athletic and coordinated. His shooting stroke is a thing of beauty. He's got a nasty streak on D and in rebounding. And he can handle the ball. My anticipation on him went from about 2 to about 10 in no time flat.

The new facility isn't as nice as the S.A. No nice man selling popcorn, the seats are less comfortable, and it's a little out of the way. That said, parking was easy, and it was a good experience. Highly recommended. I'll be back. Plus, there were tons of other cool people there (Trevor, Rodney, and Gopher Lady were all in attendance), even though I didn't have the time to say hi to them.

Anyway, here's the video.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m1pYsIVtpDY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good stuff Jmag. Oto will play a lot as he offers a skill set that no other current Gopher has. Good combo of size, shooting and pretty decent athleticism. I actually was a little more impressed with Coleman because the bad things he did, he won't do in games. He hogged the ball, but you have to love the agressiveness and his shooting form is fine when he's not forcing it. Hollins is going to be terrific.

None of these guys turned the ball over while looking tentative. Errors were from agression.

More highlights

<iframe width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z8-MqVkl6go" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for the recap and the videos. I can see what you are saying about Coleman's jumper, but his strength really seems to standout on a couple of plays where he's going up against bigger, stronger, older players in the paint. If he can develop an adequate jumper (big if), I think he'll be really good. On the downside, it appears from this video that his form needs a complete make over as his release/follow thru seems off. I thought all 3 guys had moments where they looked good and moments that made you wonder about them in the combined 8 min or so of video.

Thanks for posting the videos. I don't care about the setting... that made me pretty damn excited about Oto. I'd be surprised if he doesn't become a fan favorite over the next few years.

nickname

Oto-matic is definitely what this team needs. He is going to cause a lot of match up problems for opponents, he can play 2,3 or 4 and be a scorer at all spots.

I love Oto-matic too. Great nickname. Me and my friends were pondering the possibilities of an O to Mo chant, or vice versa, if there's a particularly good assist from Oto to Mo Walker.

Otto

Oto-matic is definitely what this team needs. He is going to cause a lot of match up problems for opponents, he can play 2,3 or 4 and be a scorer at all spots.

Otto is 6'8" and has nice athleticism for a pf. He is in no way a 2. Just because someone can shoot the three and has court awareness doesnt mean they can defend a guard. I would assume Otto would see time at the 5 before the 2. That being said, this video show lots of great highlights from him. Good atheticism, decent toughness, good ball handling, quick release, good shot. He reminds me of a stronger but slightly less athletic Mike Bauer. Bauer looked like an all american during HP, but I think because of injuries he never developed any other part of his game besides shooting 3's and blocking a couple shots for the gophers.

He also looks a little like Szerbiak did at Miami of Ohio.

Love the nickname. I can hear the chants in the Barn already after he drains a 3... Ot-o-ma-tic! Ot-o-ma-tic! Ot-o-ma-tic!

He also looks a little like Szerbiak did at Miami of Ohio.

Man, don't say that. I'm not sure I could take another guy throwing his head down from the wing driving to the basket, missing, not getting fouled and then complaining for the next four years.

Man, don't say that. I'm not sure I could take another guy throwing his head down from the wing driving to the basket, missing, not getting fouled and then complaining for the next four years.

Another thing I liked about all three of the young Gophers is that they all just went about their business, played hard, had fun and didn't talk a bunch of trash (while the other team did all night).

Another thing I liked about all three of the young Gophers is that they all just went about their business, played hard, had fun and didn't talk a bunch of trash (while the other team did all night).

Well, yeah, I agree with you. They seem like solid citizens, which will be good for our basketball team. But the little dude on the other team who was jawing at fans at the refs all night was great entertainment.

Oto and Hollins look ready to play. Especially Oto. With his size and shot, he will present problems on pick and roll.

Oseniek and Hollins both showed solid offensive skills. I was impressed. They will both contribute next year. It appears that they will have alot more depth.

Got stuck next to some fans from that other team, and wow. I don't think they'd ever watched basketball before in their lives. Very loud and vocal and seemed to absolutley hate every Gopher player, especially Andre and Oto. Oto kept "hurting" their Carl, and Andre they just found annoying. Joe got a pump fake and got fouled on the jumper (as happens in the NBA constantly), and they swore it should have been offensive because Joe hit him while he was just trying to block the shot.

Made for a more fun, yet pretty annoying, second game.

Already knew Oto was athletic and long, and it was reported he could shoot, but I like seeing him handle the ball with confidence in those vids. Expand that to handle the pressure of B1G level defense and he could be a match up nightmare.

Andre reminds me so much of russel westbrook. If you saw some of those rebounds that kid got man.... People are understating joe's game though. Yea he took a lot of shots, but a side from scoring, (in which he was the leader) the kid played great D, went hard at rebounds and steals, went right at Dan V and took the contact, layed it in off the backboard for a 3 point play. Oh and he shot like 85% from freethrows yesterday.

Joe being a good free throw shooter I think bodes well for him having the ability to make shots from the field.Where will Oto get his minutes at the three or four?And what returning player will lose time if Oto is the real deal?Lord knows this team could use a shooter.

Joe being a good free throw shooter I think bodes well for him having the ability to make shots from the field.Where will Oto get his minutes at the three or four?And what returning player will lose time if Oto is the real deal?Lord knows this team could use a shooter.

He was guarding some big boys in the post, but although he was able to stand his ground at times, I'd still think he'd be better off at the three. If so, he might take some minutes from Rodney. I wish I could get out to HP tonight to see how Rodney's looking.

This was just 1 Pulley game so it is impossible to make predictions about how big a dent Oto will put in the playing time of other players. But I'll throw out a guess.

First, I think he will play more 3 than 4. Mbakwe will be imposible to move out of that spot and a very capable Mo Walker can also play the 4. If we can judge by last night, Oto is a shooter. You have to be a shooter to play the 3 position.

Second, if Oto plays small forward obviously Rodney will be the guy losing minutes. Rodney has his moments inside but when he has the ball outside the defense plays little attention to him. He has improved his jumper somewhat. But he is still not a go to guy.

The first thing Joe needs to adjust in regards to his jump shot is his balance; he didn't shoot one outside shot where he went straight up off two feet. I'm sure they will be working on this with him from day 1.

Oto was shooting well but in all honesty he is never going to have anywhere near the amount of separation he was getting by being guarded by that huge scrub, #21, in B10 play.

Oto was shooting well but in all honesty he is never going to have anywhere near the amount of separation he was getting by being guarded by that huge scrub, #21, in B10 play.

Oto is taller, faster, more athletic, and stronger than Blake. If Blake can get seperation, I am sure Oto should be able to as well. Especially since Oto shows a solid mid range game and a pretty good drive and finish as well. I just hope he learns the shot fake!

No one gets shots off quicker than Hoff

I agree about the separation comment. Yes, It looked like he got plenty of separation from his defender in a H Pulley game. This isn't the first time I've seen his shot and from day one I've had questions about his low release point on his shots. I know that the 6'8" frame helps and all, but this is a bit of a concern of mine. By the way, how does Howard Pulley work. Was that opposing team an instate team, or where were those guys from? That number 15 looked like a pretty solid player.

I agree about the separation comment. Yes, It looked like he got plenty of separation from his defender in a H Pulley game. This isn't the first time I've seen his shot and from day one I've had questions about his low release point on his shots. I know that the 6'8" frame helps and all, but this is a bit of a concern of mine. By the way, how does Howard Pulley work. Was that opposing team an instate team, or where were those guys from? That number 15 looked like a pretty solid player.

Ditto.
Looked as if he shoots a glorified set shot with very little elevation. It will be interesting to see him being guarded by a quality BT player. But he was almost automatic.

Ditto.
Looked as if he shoots a glorified set shot with very little elevation. It will be interesting to see him being guarded by a quality BT player. But he was almost automatic.

Yes...his shot reminds me a bit like Jon Leuer's from Bucky...and we all know he couldn't score for crap...:rolleyes: Although he is ~2 inches shorter...

Top Bottom