Looking for your feedback for Gopher Points for Bball/Hockey - UPDATED with details

GopherLady

Reaction score
GopherHole was invited to participate in a roundtable/forum discussion regarding the Gopher Points systems that will be rolled out in 2012. They will be talking about the plan, its timeline, and its implementation.

I will be attending to represent GopherHole, and since we are a site powered by all of you - I would like to get any of your thoughts/ideas on this so I can represent our posters to the best of my abilities. Let me know if there are any topics you'd like me to address. Thanks!

How important is loyalty vs money as a factor in determining seating? Which weighs more and at what point does one overtake the other?(IE.when does money outweigh loyalty?)

How important is loyalty vs money as a factor in determining seating? Which weighs more and at what point does one overtake the other?(IE.when does money outweigh loyalty?)

Would it be snotty for me to say that $ always outweighs loyalty at the U? Just kidding - I'm sure it will be similar to Gopher Points for Football, but that's a good thing to find out.

Here's the link to Gopher Points. ...

as it pertains to men's basketball.

https://www.mygophersports.com/Onli...ticle_id=13C3A7A5-B3BE-4B71-9C7C-1000A198D447

Nadine, my question would be. ...

If we choose to improve our Gopher Points totals between now and December 31st, can we designate that the money go SPECIFICALLY to men's basketball? I would prefer my donations go directly to the programs I want to support. Point being, while improving my Gopher Points totals for men's basketball, I'd want my hard-earned money to help the men's basketball program and not have the donation go toward sports for which I do not have season tickets or ones I could give a rat's a*s about.

GopherHole was invited to participate in a roundtable/forum discussion regarding the Gopher Points systems that will be rolled out in 2012. They will be talking about the plan, its timeline, and its implementation.

I will be attending to represent GopherHole, and since we are a site powered by all of you - I would like to get any of your thoughts/ideas on this so I can represent our posters to the best of my abilities. Let me know if there are any topics you'd like me to address. Thanks!

GL - this is interesting. You mean they haven't got the system finalized? As I look on the gophersports.com site, I see that the timetable shows that our Gopher Points status will be mailed out late this month. This should be a busy time for the department fielding all the questions and complaints -especially from some of our older Gopher fans, who may or may not feel good about the plans upcoming (depending on how points are allocated).

My main concern is that we be given credit for purchasing season tickets and/or donating money to either Gopher Men's hockey or Gopher Football when totalling our points. I buy season tickets to football and its a load of sh$t if that doesn't bump my points up for hoops. :)

as it pertains to men's basketball.

https://www.mygophersports.com/Onli...ticle_id=13C3A7A5-B3BE-4B71-9C7C-1000A198D447

Nadine, my question would be. ...

If we choose to improve our Gopher Points totals between now and December 31st, can we designate that the money go SPECIFICALLY to men's basketball? I would prefer my donations go directly to the programs I want to support. Point being, while improving my Gopher Points totals for men's basketball, I'd want my hard-earned money to help the men's basketball program and not have the donation go toward sports for which I do not have season tickets or ones I could give a rat's a*s about.

Im 99% sure you can. I know I donated to the U in my undergrad, and specified that it go to Men's hoops, and it's still on my Gopher Points record.

GL - this is interesting. You mean they haven't got the system finalized? As I look on the gophersports.com site, I see that the timetable shows that our Gopher Points status will be mailed out late this month. This should be a busy time for the department fielding all the questions and complaints -especially from some of our older Gopher fans, who may or may not feel good about the plans upcoming (depending on how points are allocated).

I'm pretty sure it's just about finalized, this is to go more indepth. Probably tweaking, getting any input, but most importantly, getting some people really informed so we can answer questions too as well as ask them.

My main concern is that we be given credit for purchasing season tickets and/or donating money to either Gopher Men's hockey or Gopher Football when totalling our points. I buy season tickets to football and its a load of sh$t if that doesn't bump my points up for hoops. :)

No kidding! I'd assume that would be the case.

I just got back from the Gopher Points meeting, here are the my very unedited notes that I took. Feel free to ask any questions, if I don't know the answers, I can find them for you:

• Ticket holders should be receiving the information next week
• Have come down on some pricing that they initially had
• Think they're really competitive between other B10 schools
• Priority is to constantly communicate
• Looking for additional revenue streams, and looked to other institutions to see that
• We're the last school in the Big 10 to do this - most use a priority points system
• They waited an extra year to do it right, even though that meant losing $, to get this all squared away
• At 1st they were going to do it just like football. When they started doing the math, they moved the pricing down so it's not as much as football.
• Wanted to keep the price per seat in hockey below $50/game
• It should drive about $1.5 revenue - $1 mil from bball, 500K from hockey to do this. That's at 95% capacity.
• A good majority of the money will go to scholarships 1st, (9 million scholarship bill, and tuition is increasing, 6% increase this year). $500,000 increase over last year
• Both facilities will receive enhancement - video, concourses, scoreboard, etc. so both programs will see added benefits
• Timeline - gave about a year and a half notice
• Had Gopher Points team on the concourses to answer questions at both hockey and bball games last year.
• Had designated staff of 2 people, and 5 interns during football process, and are doing that for here
• They are doing a lot on the web, can look at your seats at the end of July and see what they will be like. It will be the virtual look and view that you will have, like football had.
• It's about $, but it's about being fair and equitable
• 1000 for bball and 850 in hockey that will pay a preferred. 1800 in hockey, and 41% will be non donation. Under 6000 seats will not be donation, 8000 will have preferred costs
• The costs right now are a lot higher right now.
• 16% will not be donation in hockey, 6500 seats will require a donation
• Most schools don’t give you as many points as MN does for loyalty. Rewarding long time season ticket holders
• Point total determines when you will pick your seat
• Selection will be just like football - select when the queue hits, can do it online, can call in, can come in and do it in person.
• Encourage people to come by and stake out a bunch of seats that they want to have. Will have certain times when they'll have the venues open.
• Obstructed view seats - will not be able to be selected online, they'll sell them to you in person. Depends on the nature of the view.
• How do you select seats with groups - forms you fill out and put your information there, a lot of the groups came in, if you want to sit in a group. Encourage people to fill out the form in advance who want to sit together. They will be ready for you as you call in that day.
• Ticket prices won't drop, they'll stay the same.
• If you're in the preferred seating program right now, your costs will go down. Now under 1 million going to 3.1 million for this program.
• 10 million to 1.7 million - amount U gives to athletics, 3% of overall budget
• Really wanted to protect the long term season ticket holder
• Penn State did the same thing - what did they do for football? When they couldn't afford it, they didn't renew if they couldn't do it.

Questions:
- Points for hockey or football?
○ Points are sport specific only. In football they didn't want the 5 year ticket holder to not get as good of seats that only bought once. When they're done reseeding, they will go to a one unified point system. Will re index and look at weighting. When you do upgrades, that's when it would come into play.
- Can donate to Bball?
○ Yes and no. If you're making your gift for the seat, it will go directly to the seats. A general gift can be specified. Preferred seating gift, only goes to that sport.
- Grad school points?
○ Just one degree.
- Club seats?
○ Lofts are separate
- What about if all the non-donation seats fill up?
○ That happened in football. In the end, the non-donation 1st. If there are those seats left, you have to choose whatever is left
- Points for student tickets?
○ They are not rewarded for that, there wasn’t a good tracking in place. They are going to try to track that later on.
- Have you thought about changing the ticket prices per game for different sections?
○ It's being looked into, see where that bell curve lands
- How many season ticket holders are there right now for bball and hockey?
○ Men's Basketball
Total Season Ticket Accounts- 3,268
Total Season Tickets - 8,895
Men's Hockey
Total Season Ticket Accounts - 2,821
Total Season Tickets - 7,765

- Portion in 112 will still be recruit tickets

I anticipate this to be our last year in our seats. Given our years, we are in what I imagine will be some of the best 'no premium' seats likely to be grabbed by those ahead of us who could but don't want to ante up.

Its been fun, but I imagine we can still get good tickets for the games we want to attend at the fraction of the cost.

I anticipate this to be our last year in our seats. Given our years, we are in what I imagine will be some of the best 'no premium' seats likely to be grabbed by those ahead of us who could but don't want to ante up.

Its been fun, but I imagine we can still get good tickets for the games we want to attend at the fraction of the cost.

As the people that sit next to me, this would break my heart. I can't imagine a season without you. Unfortunately, I have a feeling we will lose a number of season ticket holders with this change. When you look at the donation, vs. non-dontion areas, many can just move up 2 rows, or over to not have preferred seating and the extra costs. I have a feeling those seat will go VERY fast, leaving only the high priced areas for people like ML and myself, that are probably in the middle of the pack. Quite honestly, I refuse to pay for these areas ( I could be persuaded for the $100 fees - but nothing more). It's frustrating enough to spend $35 on games, when scalpers are selling them for $10 or $15...to spend more, yikes!

I know why the U is doing this, but when you already have the highest regular tickets in the Big 10 (our cheapest season ticket is more expensive than any other school's) it's a tough pill to swallow. With that being said, I could never see myself not being a season ticket holder.

The U really needs to hope for a good year in basketball, or it could be even empiter than it has been the past few seasons.

My family has had season hockey tickets for 40+ years, and this will be our last season. If you thought Mariucci's ambiance has decreased lately this will destroy it even more as the corporate seats become even more concentrated on the red line.

Need to give it a chance

Not happy that football season tickets don't count for Gopher Points (for basketball), but I think we at least need to give it a chance. As Bud Grant always said, "Don't make a decision until you have to."

Need to patiently go through the entire process. I'm going to see what my Gopher Points total is within the next couple weeks, indicate that I want preferred seating (most likely the $100 option), weigh my options next spring during the seat selection process, then decide to renew or cut bait.

I seem to remember that a lot of people were surprised how good of seats they got for the TCF seat selection process. Perhaps the same could happen for basketball if you hang with your season tickets, as it appears a lot of people will drop out? That's going to make more decent seats available, quite likely even some non-donation (read: non-chairback) ones. It's quite possible our seats might not be quite as good as the ones we've had, but that doesn't mean we'll get bad seats. Not ideal, but I could live with that.

No question, I agree with the sentiment that 2011-12 is an IMPORTANT season for Gopher basketball. The basketball program needs to gain significant momentum heading into the preferred seating/seat reallocation season. Another season like 2010-11 and a lot of folks will find it much more difficult to swallow hard and re-up.

Why not just increase the cost of tickets 5 bucks or so????

• We're the last school in the Big 10 to do this - most use a priority points system

Did anyone challenge this statement? I see Myron quoted Mr. Crum as saying the same thing. The U seems to be dismissing the preferred fees they've been collecting since 1993 for lower level center sections. This has been a substantial source of income for the U Athletic Dept (on top of very high ticket prices), but because of accounting tricks, the preferred ticket fees don't get counted as revenue for the BB program.

I looked at other B10 teams sites and didn't see the evidence that all have gone to a preferred seating system for BB - show mw the proof!!

I'm in the same boat - after the dust settles on the reseating process, I'm likely to have to fork over a premium to sit in seats that are worse than what I previously had - no thanks.

I'll probably pick and choose the games I really want to see and try to buy them from someone selling them at the arena.

BOOK

Ticket price increase is split with the conference. This seating cost increase is kept by the U 100%.

Ticket price increase is split with the conference. This seating cost increase is kept by the U 100%.

Huh? Are you saying that there's revenue sharing in the Big 10 for sports ticket income? - that's news to me.

Top Bottom