Howard Pulley

jmag21

Reaction score
Who's excited? I'll be there tonight, and I'll try to post a rundown tonight or tomorrow. HP is always a highlight of my summer.

8:30 game has Andre Hollins, Joe Coleman and Oto Osenieks playing together. Should be interesting if they all show up.

Are these game open to the public? Sorry haven't been to one yet. And are they free?

Are these game open to the public? Sorry haven't been to one yet. And are they free?

Yes, open to the public (but NOT D1 coaches) and free. Free admission is a requirement - this is an NCAA Certified league.

I hope to stop by tonight, at a minimum for a bit of the second game, but more likely than not will get there for some of the first game as well. Look for the morbidly obese freak of nature sweating profusely and scarfing down hot dogs and other snacks like no other.

I think by rule they have to be free. Yes they're open to the public.

Edit: GW beat me to it.

Yes, open to the public (but NOT D1 coaches) and free. Free admission is a requirement - this is an NCAA Certified league.

I hope to stop by tonight, at a minimum for a bit of the second game, but more likely than not will get there for some of the first game as well. Look for the morbidly obese freak of nature sweating profusely and scarfing down hot dogs and other snacks like no other.

That narrows it to half the crowd.

I should be making it to the second game for sure. Maybe the first as well. If None of Andre, Joe, Oto show up I won't be happy. Most excited to see Andre though.

Also, in Monter's original write up he said this:

El-Amin Fish House ... are expected to look similar to last year’s team

Does that mean the return of Royce?

Do they have bleachers and seat or just stand around the court? Seems like AAU type courts

I'm curious to see the setup as well. It does look like AAU courts. Hopefully they have some temporary stands or something, because the Salvation Army gym was pretty ideal in terms of facilities (and caramel popcorn). I'm most excited to see Andre Hollins run the point with Coleman and Oto on the wings. Now if they can just convince Rubio to swing by to work on adapting to the American version of the game, that'd be nice too.

I'm curious to see the setup as well. It does look like AAU courts. Hopefully they have some temporary stands or something, because the Salvation Army gym was pretty ideal in terms of facilities (and caramel popcorn). I'm most excited to see Andre Hollins run the point with Coleman and Oto on the wings. Now if they can just convince Rubio to swing by to work on adapting to the American version of the game, that'd be nice too.

A surprise visit from Ricky Rubio would definitley be getting your money worth. And only a little more expensive than it would be to go see him at a Wolves game.

Reading people's tweets from Howard Pulley is really getting me excited about our young guys. Apparently Andre Hollins, Oto, and Coleman are all looking really good. This could be a big year for us if the young guys are legit.

GophersNow PiPress Gophers Now
Coleman finished with 32 pts. Oto had 28. Hollins had 19.

I'll be the first to throw it out there. How about this for a starting line up...

PG: Andre Hollins
SG: Joe Coleman
SF: Oto Osenieks
PF: Trevor Mbakwe
C: Ralph Sampson (or Eliot Eliason if he's as legit as we've been reading!)

Then a bench of...

PG: Julian Welch / Maverick Ahanmisi
SG: Austin Hollins / Chip Armelin
SF: Rodney Williams / Austin Hollins
PF: Andre Ingram / Rodney Williams
C: Eliot Eliason / Mo Walker

This team is starting to look deeper and deeper.

Reading people's tweets from Howard Pulley is really getting me excited about our young guys. Apparently Andre Hollins, Oto, and Coleman are all looking really good. This could be a big year for us if the young guys are legit.

Oto stoled the show tonight. I was surprised at how big the guy is. I bet goes he's 220 lbs. He did it all. he handled the ball well for a big man. He rebounded well. he shot the lights out from all over the court.

You could say Oto doesn't have a jump shot. It doesn't matter. What he does have is good enough. He shoots a kind of hybrid between a jump shot and a one hand set shot. The point is, it goes in.

Halverson also has good size. He must have put on 20 lbs. I remember him being listed at 190lbs. No more. I think he is going to help. I'd give him a few minutes.

Andre looked very good for a youngster. He is very quick and shoots well. He also made a few circus layups. He can get high enough to dunk the ball ,but he uses the backboard. I like that.

Coleman goes to the basket very well. He makes his free throws. However, he missed nearly everything he put up from outside.

Coleman, incredible motor. Never stops moving, ballhawk, plays D, even dunks on guys like 7 footer Dan Vanderveiran without hesitation. Oto, skilled shooter, goes both ways on the drive, gets boards, blocks shots. Hollins, incredibly fast and athletic, beautiful midrange game, unreal first step, needs to work on D. I'm sure he'll be fine with his speed though. This is gonna be a good year.

btw figi coleman was the leading scorer with 32 points, if he had a 3ball he couldve had 50

They all looked good. Hollins has great speed, and is elusive off the dribble, you will love him. Coleman is very, very aggressive, strong and fearless- went to the hole everytime he got the ball. He actually needed to pass more. Oto can shoot it and also played some good defense. It was a fun game with the other team full of older guys who were trash talking non-stop. If Welch beats out Hollins at PG then we will have some pretty strong guard play. I have to believe we will run all year long- that's what these guys are suited for.

How did the new venue compare? The video didn't show one side but it looked like there wasn't much room. I take it the one side that wasn't shown seated a lot of people?

The new venue isn't nearly as nice in terms of seating. Just metal bleachers, not very comfortable, and not a whole lot of room for spectators. There were a lot of people standing. But the concession stand was okay (no caramel popcorn, but okay pizza), and there was a lot of room to walk around. Plus, way more parking, which was very nice.

They all looked good. Hollins has great speed, and is elusive off the dribble, you will love him. Coleman is very, very aggressive, strong and fearless- went to the hole everytime he got the ball. He actually needed to pass more. Oto can shoot it and also played some good defense. It was a fun game with the other team full of older guys who were trash talking non-stop. If Welch beats out Hollins at PG then we will have some pretty strong guard play. I have to believe we will run all year long- that's what these guys are suited for.

I agree with all the good things you and Go Gopher Eh say about Coleman. My question is does he have a jump shot? If he doesn't, defenses will treat him like they do Rodney. Crowd him when he goes inside and let him shoot when he is outside. I guess the real question is can you play the shooting guard spot in the BT if you can't shoot? From what I read, I am not alone here.

I agree with all the good things you and Go Gopher Eh say about Coleman. My question is does he have a jump shot? If he doesn't, defenses will treat him like they do Rodney. Crowd him when he goes inside and let him shoot when he is outside. I guess the real question is can you play the shooting guard spot in the BT if you can't shoot? From what I read, I am not alone here.

Coleman is different from Rodney in that he's much more powerful and capable of getting to the basket in the halfcourt.

Rodney is a great slasher when there are no bumps and bodies in his path. Coleman can explode through traffic MUCH better than Rodney.

But no, Coleman cannot shoot the ball. He will not be any sort of consistent jumpshooting threat from the perimeter.

Top Bottom