Chris Monter: Incoming and Returning Gophers Hope To Shine In Howard Pulley ProCity

thanks

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. No mention of Eliason- any idea where he will be?

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. No mention of Eliason- any idea where he will be?

According to this link http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=30143 the article says he will play in HP, or at least a "high caliber summer league"

"He returned to Minnesota last weekend and will take a couple of summer school courses, one of them in calculus, and devote more time to sport-related activities. Besides playing lots of basketball with his teammates and in a high-caliber summer league, he’s signed up to play first base on a softball team a couple times a week and he plans to visit Target Field and watch the Minnesota Twins a few times."

Go Gophers!!

Chip Armelin is going to be fun to watch in this league.

No doubt about it- without Tubby, Chip will turn it loose. He might have to ice his shooting arm.
I will expect some highlight reel finishes/dunks from him as well.

No doubt about it- without Tubby, Chip will turn it loose. He might have to ice his shooting arm.

You have an obsession with Tubby. It is becoming ridiculous. It is like that “The Truth” guy who used to post here. When did Tubby stop Chip? How many times did Chip go to the basket and was unable to finish? Was that Tubby’s fault also? Man, get off Tubby’s back. By the way, Chip is fun to watch.

I remember in MSU game Chip made 2 3s. Therefore, as any coach would do when a player has a hot hand, Tubby let him take the last shot that he missed and we lost the game. The guy behind me was bashing Tubby like crazy for letting him taking that shot.

Bleed, this is the example of people who think they know more than the coach.

Give it a rest.

Go Gophers

You have an obsession with Tubby. It is becoming ridiculous. It is like that “The Truth” guy who used to post here. When did Tubby stop Chip? How many times did Chip go to the basket and was unable to finish? Was that Tubby’s fault also? Man, get off Tubby’s back. By the way, Chip is fun to watch.

I remember in MSU game Chip made 2 3s. Therefore, as any coach would do when a player has a hot hand, Tubby let him take the last shot that he missed and we lost the game. The guy behind me was bashing Tubby like crazy for letting him taking that shot.

Bleed, this is the example of people who think they know more than the coach.

Give it a rest.

Go Gophers

Bleed, Bleed, Bleed, please help me daddy, somebody said something about Tubby!!!

Seriously "Real truth" it's you that has the obsession with Tubby. Face it Tubby had a lousy coaching year from a lot of aspects. Had some injuries-yes- so you can't blame him for that. But his ability to adjust and the roster he set up were on him. It was just a bad coaching year for an otherwise great coach. I'm a fan. I say what I think, cheer when we win and sometimes complain when we lose. My gripes with Tubby were the defense he used with what he had and the players he used and the time he alloted them. Yet at the end of the season I felt that Tubby is our guy for now and the near future and I said so.

Chip is fearless but that sometimes got him in trouble. My point was simply that Chip with no leash on him might go to the hole nearly every time down court. I loved seeing him on court last year because Tubby had so many passive guys out there on offense. I won't name them but I think you can figure it out. The offense was simply atrocious to watch. I hope you can admit that.

Tubby should put the kibosh on EE's softball

I'm guessing Tubby will put the kibosh on EE (or any other player) playing softball in their spare time, as he should. That's a disaster (read: broken ankle/leg) waiting to happen.

As my father so eloquently put it about (male) softball players, "Softball is for the has-beens or never-weres."

Bleed, Bleed, Bleed, please help me daddy, somebody said something about Tubby!!!

Seriously "Real truth" it's you that has the obsession with Tubby. Face it Tubby had a lousy coaching year from a lot of aspects. Had some injuries-yes- so you can't blame him for that. But his ability to adjust and the roster he set up were on him. It was just a bad coaching year for an otherwise great coach. I'm a fan. I say what I think, cheer when we win and sometimes complain when we lose. My gripes with Tubby were the defense he used with what he had and the players he used and the time he alloted them. Yet at the end of the season I felt that Tubby is our guy for now and the near future and I said so.

Chip is fearless but that sometimes got him in trouble. My point was simply that Chip with no leash on him might go to the hole nearly every time down court. I loved seeing him on court last year because Tubby had so many passive guys out there on offense. I won't name them but I think you can figure it out. The offense was simply atrocious to watch. I hope you can admit that.

Yes I do admit it. I am not saying that is wrong to complain but enough is enough. Lets say something positive. I have complained about our coaches too. I remember Michigan game when Colt failed to stop a 3 that cost us the game. You tell me if that was the coach's fault. They all made mistakes last year. They all failed. By pointing a finger at one particular person, what do we earn?

I am not nearly as knowledable as you guys about basketball but have played sports all my life. Team sports are all the same. When a team fails, a team fails. No point of killing one person. Lets hope that they all learned from last year and let us enjoy the Gopher's basketball.

See you all at the Tip-off.

Go Gophers

"Start The Freshmen!"

Since Al’s surgery, Hoffarber at point guard has been and continues to be the best option. I didn’t mention Chip Armelin and Maverick Ahanmisi in December when talking about team depth for a reason.

While I would have been starting fellow freshman Austin Hollins (along with Hoffarber at the point, Williams, Mbakwe and Sampson) consistently since Nolen’s surgery, there has been a constant clamor from certain folks that Maverick Ahanmisi and Chip Armelin should be starting and/or getting significant minutes. I am still missing what so many apparently can see.

I appreciate the effort of these kids, but there are better options. Ahanmisi’s astronomical turnover rate of 40% is a concerning figure. When you consider what little he’s been asked to do and review some of the turnovers, it’s that much more troubling. Perhaps people are impressed with his 8/26 (30.8%) three-point shooting. I’ll admit, while for the average guard it’s a bad percentage (not to mention one of those makes was a half court buzzer beater and another was a 30-foot prayer as the shot clock expired), it’s relatively lofty when compared to most of his teammates.

Chip can be very entertaining to watch and I understand why some would be big fans of his. Before the season started, my thoughts on him were as follows:

"He likes to shoot the ball when on offense. Has good spring to his step and will have his moments against lesser competition in limited minutes this early winter. However, his offensive tendencies may not work well in this offense and unless his defensive play is consistently impressive, I could see him getting a quick hook when he does make appearances in games. True, the Gophers do need go to scorers, but I don’t think Chip is the answer this year.

At a minimum, a fun player to watch that will occasionally impress during limited appearances… at best, a contributor who adds a scoring punch and aggressiveness on offense."

With hindsight, I wouldn’t change any of those comments. Armelin is fearless with the ball - when on the floor, he takes almost 25% more shots than anyone else. I can appreciate that to some degree, but his jump shot is… not good at the present moment. Sure, he can get to the rack, but how many of the missed layups are bad luck? How about drawing some contact? Excluding the scoreless Dominque Dawson, Armelin has the worst Points Per Shot average on the team.

At any rate, there are a number of areas that I can understand disagreeing with Tubby on, but for me, neither moving Hoffarber to the point nor the perceived lack of usage of Armelin and Ahanmisi are one of those areas. Nonetheless, it appears that Ahanmisi will get a third consecutive start on Thursday. Good luck, young fella.

---------------
GW said it well in this piece.

there has been a constant clamor from certain folks that Maverick Ahanmisi and Chip Armelin should be starting and/or getting significant minutes. I am still missing what so many apparently can see.

---------------
It is not so much what I see in Maverick as what I hear...from Tubby. He seems to love Mav, praises his progress and bemoans that he didn't play him more. Based on that I believe that Tubby sees Mav as frontrunner for pg next year.

Tubby!!!
Face it Tubby had a lousy coaching year from a lot of aspects. Had some injuries-yes- so you can't blame him for that. But his ability to adjust and the roster he set up were on him. It was just a bad coaching.... My gripes with Tubby were the defense he used with what he had and the players he used and the time he alloted them. Yet at the end of the season I felt that Tubby is our guy for now and the near future and I said so.

Chip is fearless but that sometimes got him in trouble. My point was simply that Chip with no leash on him might go to the hole nearly every time down court. I loved seeing him on court last year because Tubby had so many passive guys out there on offense. I won't name them but I think you can figure it out. The offense was simply atrocious to watch.

I have had thoughts along these lines as well.

It is not so much what I see in Maverick as what I hear...from Tubby. He seems to love Mav, praises his progress and bemoans that he didn't play him more. Based on that I believe that Tubby sees Mav as frontrunner for pg next year.

Nothing against Mav at all, but coaches do this all the time to boost confidence/motivation/morale. Doesn't necessarily mean anything. If you read into statements like that all the time you'll soon be believing that every player on our team are going to be All-American's and/or All-Conference.

Yes I do admit it. I am not saying that is wrong to complain but enough is enough. Lets say something positive. I have complained about our coaches too. I remember Michigan game when Colt failed to stop a 3 that cost us the game. You tell me if that was the coach's fault. They all made mistakes last year. They all failed. By pointing a finger at one particular person, what do we earn?

I am not nearly as knowledable as you guys about basketball but have played sports all my life. Team sports are all the same. When a team fails, a team fails. No point of killing one person. Lets hope that they all learned from last year and let us enjoy the Gopher's basketball.

See you all at the Tip-off.

Go Gophers

Fair enough real truth. Looking forward to a great year for Tubby and the Gophs. His career shows that he's the real deal and I think he will bounce back from a bad year. Should be fun.

Top Bottom