Adam Rittenberg blog: Big Ten position rankings: Running back (Minn #11)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
"11. Minnesota: There was healthy competition at tailback this spring with a mixture of veterans and fresh faces. DeLeon Eskridge led the team last year with 698 rushing yards, while Duane Bennett added 529. They're being pushed by redshirt freshmen Donnell Kirkwood and Lamonte Edwards. New coach Jerry Kill will look to improve on the Gophers' paltry 3.6 yards per carry average last season. This is a group that could make a major move up the rankings."

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/28063/big-ten-position-rankings-running-back

Go Gophers!!

The good news is that we are a ton better than we were 2-3 years ago.

The bad news is that we're still not very good.

Eskridge and Bennett have matured as well as anybody could've reasonably hoped. Imagine that--a hard-working player sticks around for four years and they improve.

If the offensive line plays well...

These backs will be about average Big Ten running backs in productivity. You could see some more promise for what they can do in the iowa game last season. In my book, the offensive line is the key. And, a "pre-season ranking" means very little to me. Running backs from any team in the Big Ten might go down to injury so any "pre-season ranking" could become invalidated and rearranged basd upon good fortune or not such good fortune for running backs on other Big Ten Teams.

The O-Line can determine just how good a season the Gopher Running Backs may have. And, then, as usual, they have to be fortunate and stay healthy themselves.

These backs will be about average Big Ten running backs in productivity. You could see some more promise for what they can do in the iowa game last season. In my book, the offensive line is the key. And, a "pre-season ranking" means very little to me. Running backs from any team in the Big Ten might go down to injury so any "pre-season ranking" could become invalidated and rearranged basd upon good fortune or not such good fortune for running backs on other Big Ten Teams.

The O-Line can determine just how good a season the Gopher Running Backs may have. And, then, as usual, they have to be fortunate and stay healthy themselves.

Please, more posts like this and less walls of text.

Wren - Thanks

Please, more posts like this and less walls of text.

I know that unfortunately you will probably not take this in the spirit that is intended but people will listen much more when your posts are of this length and clarity. I enjoyed it.

No desrespect intended, but we still have no one who can break a tackle.

Break a tackle???

Maybe yes...maybe no. If the offensive line is doing a good job, the yards will come. There hasn't been an MBIII, Tepeh or Gary Russel in quite a while. However, running backs can still get the job done IF they have decent line blocking. Average 4 yards a pop and most likely you will keep moving the chains. And, one last thing: with a qb who is also a threat to run, you do get another dimension and another option for the defense to account for...just keep the rb's and the qb healthy and the Gophers will run the ball in 2011...IF they get decent offensive line play.

And, a "pre-season ranking" means very little to me.

But a .400 BIG ten WINNING percentage IS "ALL" that MATTERS, and YOU MASON bashers and brewball lovers will NEVER understand that is it HARD to win BIG 10 games. BadgerJoelMACturi secretly has dead-dear-gay-butt-sex-with-a-badger because he secretly hates minnEsoTa.

picture.php

Glen Mason's smile BTW.

Agreed

And, one last thing: with a qb who is also a threat to run, you do get another dimension and another option for the defense to account for...just keep the rb's and the qb healthy and the Gophers will run the ball in 2011...IF they get decent offensive line play.

I totally agree that with a talented dual-threat QB and the right offensive scheme, it adds another dimension that will open up holes for the RBs. Just having the linebackers freeze for a moment on a read-option allows enough of a crease to add significant yards in the running game. I'm looking forward to seeing this in action after watching so many other teams do this to us:cool02:

RB's

Our running game will be better because our OL play will improve. The added experience of the RB's will also be helpful. However, this is an indictment of Brewster who in four year tried mightily but constantly failed to bring in a high quality RB.

We have no complete backs. Bennett can catch and block, but lacks vision and breakaway speed.
Eskridge has great vision and decent cutback ability, but lacks tackle breaking and breakaway speed.
Kirkwood runs hard and can break tackles, but he lacks experience, hasn't stayed healthy, and lacks breakaway speed.
Maybe you are sensing a common deficiency.

Other guys are unknowns.

Kirkwood runs hard and can break tackles, but he lacks experience, hasn't stayed healthy, and lacks breakaway speed.

Hasn't stayed healthy? Is this really a fair label for a player who's only spent one year in college? Also, RB is one position where experience isn't a necessity. I'm probably just nitpicking but that part had me scratching my head.

Under Coach Kill, the Gophers will be working on running...

the ball and stopping the run.

Former Coach Horton introduced the kinds of offensive ball distribution that will be effective in TCF BANK STADIUM in late October and November, especially with the game plan for the iowa game in 2010.

Here is a recap of that game. Just check out some of the stats: the Gophers rushed for over 200 yards and threw for about 160 yards on 13 of 25 completions. Weber and Gray combined for significant rushing yards( about 33 for Weber and 17 for Gray) and a number of big plays at the qb position. The running backs did just fine, thank you. You will be seeing the running backs do some tackle breaking and other good things in 2011, I suspect. And, let's hope for ALL the cold weather the end of October and into November that we can get. I still recall seeing some of those hawkeye players slipping around out on the playing field in the last 1/2 of the 3rd quarter and in the 4th quarter last November 27th. TCF BANK STADIUM can give us weather factors that the damn dome NEVER could.

Here is a fond memory and the most meaningful (to me) win in TCF BANK STADIUM through the first two seasons. There will be many more HUGE Big Ten wins that we fans have to look forward to:

Account of the 2010 Minnesota vs iowa game...

http://www.bigtennetwork.com/dpp/sports/football/Rapid-Recaps-Minnesota-vs-Iowa-20101127

Read it only if you want. It is a "WALL of text..." It sure is a good read though! What a nice memory!

; 0 )

Hasn't stayed healthy? Is this really a fair label for a player who's only spent one year in college? Also, RB is one position where experience isn't a necessity. I'm probably just nitpicking but that part had me scratching my head.

Do you disagree with any of the facts? Or do you simply disagree that they are negatives?

He doesn't have much experience...due to this, I have no idea if he is a good blocker or pass catcher. The little bit I saw did not allow me to grade his vision very well.

He is 0/1 being healthy in seasons....he has got 4 more...hopefully he can stay healthy. To this point he hasn't been able to. Hopefully it won't be a big deal in his career.

Top Bottom