One guy's solution to everything

He's right about the stadium though, how anyone can even remotely suggest building two different stadiums for a total 1.5 billion over a 5 year period is beyond me, but yet it appears as though it may happen. No one should be able to complain about our debt if it happens.

This guy isnt nearly as bad as that Gleason professor. How that guy can continue to have a job at the U is beyond me. If it was socially acceptable, I would kick him in the face.

This guy isnt nearly as bad as that Gleason professor. How that guy can continue to have a job at the U is beyond me. If it was socially acceptable, I would kick him in the face.

I couldn't agree more! How anyone can do nothing but constantly bad-mouth their employer, and be able to get away with it, is beyond me (I realize he's tenured, but still)! :mad:

He's right about the stadium though, how anyone can even remotely suggest building two different stadiums for a total 1.5 billion over a 5 year period is beyond me, but yet it appears as though it may happen. No one should be able to complain about our debt if it happens.

Remotely suggest?

The Metrodome is a dumb. Pure and simple sports was meant to be played in the great outdoors. In fact both the Vikings and Twins should play in different stadiums each designated to their own sport. Why else would the Twins want their own stadium? They were playing in a football stadium indoors. Furthermore I can't stand former GM Mike Lynn making millions of dollars off the Metrodome. He is the main reason why the Vikings were horrible for many years in the 90's. Sorry Mike you and your bs have got to go.

Could someone enlighten/remind me who that is.

Remotely suggest?

The Metrodome is a dumb. Pure and simple sports was meant to be played in the great outdoors. In fact both the Vikings and Twins should play in different stadiums each designated to their own sport. Why else would the Twins want their own stadium? They were playing in a football stadium indoors. Furthermore I can't stand former GM Mike Lynn making millions of dollars off the Metrodome. He is the main reason why the Vikings were horrible for many years in the 90's. Sorry Mike you and your bs have got to go.

I agree.

As long as Zygi and the Pohlads are paying for them.

Could someone enlighten/remind me who that is.

A professor at the U who has a blog in the "Voices" section of the Strib and also writes into the Daily. All he does is bash the U and the athletics department.

Name the last multi sport facility for professional franchises (big 2 baseball and football).
Name the last professional sports facility to be built without public money (big 2 sports).

Welcome to the 90s minnesotans

Name the last multi sport facility for professional franchises (big 2 baseball and football).

Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum (now O.co Coliseum) - opened September 18, 1966, still in use
Joe Robbie Stadium (now Sun Life Stadium) - opened August 16, 1987, still in use

Name the last professional sports facility to be built without public money (big 2 sports).

Pac Bell Park (now AT&T Park) - opened March 31, 2000

What do I win?

I agree.

As long as Zygi and the Pohlads are paying for them.

Why should the owners have to foot the entire bill for a stadium that is being used for more than just their purpose, especially in the case of the Vikings? How is that even remotely right to have Zygi shell out $1 billion on his own, and then for most of the year, the place is being used by someone other than the Vikings? I get the fact that they're the ones who need it most, but they're not gonna be the only ones using it.

Pac Bell wasn't fully funded privately. The majority of it was private money but there was something like 15% public assistance.

Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum (now O.co Coliseum) - opened September 18, 1966, still in use
Joe Robbie Stadium (now Sun Life Stadium) - opened August 16, 1987, still in use

Pac Bell Park (now AT&T Park) - opened March 31, 2000

What do I win?

You win my applause for your answer to question 1....you get it taken away for your answer to question 2

AT&T got a 10 million dollar tax abatement and 80 million in infrastructure upgrades from the public.

Having the public pay only $90 million including infrastructure upgrades (i'm assuming roads) is nothing. Give Podoll his point back.

I love how guys like this spout their "common sense" wisdom and then get cranky when no one takes them seriously. Oddly enough, if they took 10 minutes and applied themselves they could come up with a bunch of reasons why this won't work. But I guess if they had to think that hard it would stop being common sense or something.

One guy's solution to everything-

COLD BEER!

(But I am just one guy).

Welcome to the 90s minnesotans

Weren't FedEx Field and/or Gillette Stadium built more recently then Pac Bell?

Fed ex field opened in 1997 and is already being talked about ( though not a ton of talk ) for replacement.

Gillette opened in 2002 but was approved in 1999. It is likely the last 100% privately funded stadium that we will see unless something drastic changes in the sports industry. There are simply too many places willing to build stadiums at taxpayer expense for a city to realistically expect an NFL franchise to finance 100% of their stadium.

Top Bottom