Curious

gophmeister

Reaction score
Does Eure's exit mean playing time for a freshman at TE like Foster Bush or Drew Goodger?

Does Moulton's addition signal that the coaching staff lacks confidence in the current group of receivers or are they just trying to assure they have enough depth?

Same goes for QB. The staff must think we need help.

I'm really surprised by the late signings. Kill said they were only going to bring in people if they could help this year. I guess I can answer my 2 own questions.

I'm not sure about the freshmen, but it sure makes getting Rabe a big deal.
As far as backup qb's go, if you were at spring practice, you know the backups tried hard, but are not ready to play this offense in the BT. Parrish may get there, and he is pretty tough, but really light. Alipate just does not fit the offense at all.

I'm thinking that burning Goodger's RS isn't a big deal. If you have Maxx Williams and (hopefully) Will Johnson coming in 2012, they will both be ahead of him on the depth chart sooner rather than later, so I don't know that it's important to have him for 5 years. Plus, he is already big enough to play TE right now - if he has the strength is a different issue altogether. Plus, we still have McGarry. He's not on the scholarship grid for some reason, but he is definitely on the team.

I think we're going to see more freshmen/1st year/walk-ons play this year than most expect.
Campion, Harris, Jones, Rabe, Olson, Moulton, Crawford? for sure, Goodger, Gardner, Montgomery, Foreman, Trucilla, Heifort likely, Matilus, Levine, Westerhaus, Bauducco, and Amaefula not out of the question.
Not ideal, but also the coaches need to get players on the field that can execute their system.
It's going to be interesting.

Does Eure's exit mean playing time for a freshman at TE like Foster Bush or Drew Goodger?

Does Moulton's addition signal that the coaching staff lacks confidence in the current group of receivers or are they just trying to assure they have enough depth?

Same goes for QB. The staff must think we need help.

I'm really surprised by the late signings. Kill said they were only going to bring in people if they could help this year. I guess I can answer my 2 own questions.

I was going to answer your question but you beat me to it!

The one thing that was clear in watching spring practice was that they run one play after another. The wide outs were being run ragged because of the extra time it takes for them to get back to the huddle. Kill stated everyday that the lack of wide outs was a big problem.

What I like about Kill is that he is always trying to make his team better. I am sure that these two additions were not done to just fill slots. The JC transfer especially makes a lot of sense because it moves a recruit slot into the 2013 class which is VERY short of slots, plus it adds more depth to the wide receiver position. As far as the QB Dexter Foreman it is not clear what their plans are for him. Kill is always looking for athletes with speed and I am sure they see something in him that they really like.

I wouldn't discount Foreman as a possible qb of the future, he has some mobility and a pretty big arm, also completed a good percentage in h.s., he might end up being a nice fit for the offense.

The receiver piece is obvious. We just flat out don't have enough right now who will be ready for fall it appears. Kill is probably not comfortable trying to count on the health of Green and Brandon, as well as a bunch of freshmen, so he grabbed another guy who has a couple more years under his belt.

The QB one is intriguing, I'll be interested in seeing how that one plays out.

Good Observation/Question Ole

I think we're going to see more freshmen/1st year/walk-ons play this year than most expect.
Campion, Harris, Jones, Rabe, Olson, Moulton, Crawford? for sure, Goodger, Gardner, Montgomery, Foreman, Trucilla, Heifort likely, Matilus, Levine, Westerhaus, Bauducco, and Amaefula not out of the question.
Not ideal, but also the coaches need to get players on the field that can execute their system.
It's going to be interesting.

One thing that Kill has always said is that if you are a freshman and you are the best player, you will play. Another thing Kill preaches is that he wants to be the strongest team during the fourth quarter. He accomplishes this by having the better conditioned team and by playing multiple players during the game. This is why you just might be right.

Ole made a great point in the other thread comparing Foreman to Jordan Lynch (NIU). Jordan Lynch wasn't the backup for NIU but he rushed for 400 yards in an almost Super Wildcat mold. He wasn't even the backup...

This kid could make a lot of sense with guys like Parish (mobile but not like Gray), Alipate, Nelson, and Shortell being in line to play QB. These are kids who will probably be decent runners but Foreman might be able to balance that out in specific situations. That said, it brings more competition....so good.

There is also a decent chance that Foreman gets moved to WR or S eventually. He is pretty big and mobile.

The impact of Eure....i'd expect to see Goodger and/or Heifort lose thier RS. I don't think Bush will be moved to TE (unless I missed something).

WR was obvious...we need more players. Green and Brandon's futures seem to be in some serious doubt (I hope for the best) and no one else has shown a single thing. Barker had a catch and Kiese saw some PT, so we'll see. But we NEEDED more WRs.

I guess I missed something , I met Eure at the BBQ, what happened to him? Seemed like a real nice kid.

Yeah, I met him too and he seemed like a great guy who was pumped about playing for the Gophers.

Supposedly, it looks like Eure will be an academic casualty.

Top Bottom