gophers add another 2011 qb

Hmmm...I wonder if this kid is for sure staying at QB or if he could be a possible position switch.

Also, what happened to Blinn? I also wonder if this signing is indicitive of another academic casualty (along with Eure). It just seems kind of coincedental that we'd be adding more scholarships to our 2011 class not long after grades are posted, especially, considering how few scholarships we have available 2012 and 2013.

if true, where would scholarship come from? by my count we were already at 85 before Moulton. Rumors are flying that Tiree Eure will be an academic casualty, which if true his scholly would be available for Moulton. But don't see any room at the moment for awarding any additional scholarships for this upcoming season unless 1) there is another academic casualty, or 2) former walk on that was previously awarded scholly (such as Bryan Klitzke, Austin Hahn, or Aaron Hill) no longer has one.

Based on the number of linebackers we are still looking at, it seems to me there must be a lack of confidence in our younger LBs.

It's probably more about position flexibility.
LBers can grow into more positions than others, DE, DT, FB, TE, stay at LB, even pop to safety if they're fast enough.(not common)
This kid seems like a solid QB prospect, but he's also huge for a true frosh QB, and could get bigger down the road.
Seems like a great get this late, offers from Tulsa(coach left), Colorado(coach got fired), Baylor(probably odd man out), sounds like Texas A and M was his dream school, but welcome aboard Dexter! You'll love it here!

Hmmm...I wonder if this kid is for sure staying at QB or if he could be a possible position switch.

Also, what happened to Blinn? I also wonder if this signing is indicitive of another academic casualty (along with Eure). It just seems kind of coincedental that we'd be adding more scholarships to our 2011 class not long after grades are posted, especially, considering how few scholarships we have available 2012 and 2013.

Who is Blinn? It is a curious add especially since they appear to still be pursuing Robert Gregory for the 2012 class as well.

This is a strange commitment. But at least I no longer think Hodger is crazy. That was quite the scoop.

The good news is this staff gets the fact that a strategy of waiting for the players from your first real recruiting class (2nd actual class) to be at least rs sophomores before counting on them for help, puts them in their fourth season before they get much help from recruiting. That provides zero margin of error for a program turnaround. They know they need help now, and will do whatever they can ethically do to get help in here. If a senior player disqualifies himself, that is a real shame, but there is no reason not make the best of the situation, and get a player into school who can help in the next couple of years if that is possible.
They won't run a current kid off, but they'll tell him the truth about his opportunity to play, and some kids will leave for PT elsewhere, others will stay. Having new players move ahead of you on the depth chart, makes the situaltion very real.
Guys who will not comply with rules and required effort commitments will leave. This staff will not put up with attitude or discipline problems for long periods of time.
I am glad they are getting another QB in here, the backups on the team now are good kids, but they do not fit the offense.

One thing that strikes me thinking about this commit is something Kill said in an interview.
Basically that Gray is a dynamic runner, but they will need to be careful with his carries because Harnish last year got worn down and dinged up as the season went on, same with Denard Robinson at Michigan. He mentioned that they would put a backup QB in for certain downs, not a Wildcat persay, but a talented running QB that would take a few downs off of the starter.
It's likely that Alipate, Parrish, or Shortell don't fit the mold of a player that could take a few snaps of options and designed runs/plays off of Gray, Foreman possibly can even as a true frosh(he's a big QB), got to remember this kid ran a dual QB team effectively last year, so he's not a selfish player.
Just a thought. Our Jordan Lynch(RSFr QB for NIU last year)

Great call on the Jordan Lynch comparison.

A thing to keep in mind with Lynch is that he had almost 400 yards rushing and he really wasn't even Northern Illinois's 2nd string Qb.
Grady (JR) was more like their prototypical backup QB to Harnish (JR) and Lynch just seemed to play a lot of run heavy downs. This wasn't because Harnish or Grady couldn't run the ball (they both ran the ball pretty well), it was more in a like expanded Wild Cat situation. Could be a similar situation for Foreman.

This is a strange commitment. But at least I know longer think Hodger is crazy. That was quite the scoop.

Haha yeah, I was kinda wondering about that one when he brought it up at first too. A great scoop on his part.

Perhaps this means Moses is headed for TE?
he looked great at the spring game at QB, but he is huge....

Scout article on the commitment: http://minnesota.scout.com/2/1079640.html

“The type of player that I am—I just want to push the whole team [to] work as hard as they can because that is what I’ll be doing," he said. "I shoot for the stars so, I can say as a player, I want to be the No.1 guy come first game and throughout the season as the starting quarterback for the Minnesota Gophers.

“With that, we’re going to take it one game at a time and try to win as much as possible. But why stop there? … I want to try to win a Heisman.”

I love it. Him and Shortell are gonna have quite the battle for the starting QB spot this year.....:D

if true, where would scholarship come from? by my count we were already at 85 before Moulton. Rumors are flying that Tiree Eure will be an academic casualty, which if true his scholly would be available for Moulton. But don't see any room at the moment for awarding any additional scholarships for this upcoming season unless 1) there is another academic casualty, or 2) former walk on that was previously awarded scholly (such as Bryan Klitzke, Austin Hahn, or Aaron Hill) no longer has one.

Perhaps Crawford isn't going to be able to enroll?

Perhaps Crawford isn't going to be able to enroll?

if you count all scholarship players (including Eure) + Foreman, Moulton, and Crawford that makes 88. So something has to give. Even if Eure and Crawford aren't on roster come this fall, we are still at +1. Someone's not going to be there, but I don't know who.

Scholarship Count

if you count all scholarship players (including Eure) + Foreman, Moulton, and Crawford that makes 88. So something has to give. Even if Eure and Crawford aren't on roster come this fall, we are still at +1. Someone's not going to be there, but I don't know who.

My count using the Gopher Football scholarship grid from above (Click on Gopher Football first and then click on Scholarship Grid) would indicate they would now have 85. This is consistent with what coach Kill was saying about maybe signing a couple of more players if they found a good fit.

The problem is where is the offical site that lists the scholarship players? I have a very hard time believing that they could or would sign more than 85 players to scholarships. I am sure that would not be allowed. You can gray shirt players above 85 but that is not what is happening with Foreman and Moulton.

My count using the Gopher Football scholarship grid from above (Click on Gopher Football first and then click on Scholarship Grid) would indicate they would now have 85. This is consistent with what coach Kill was saying about maybe signing a couple of more players if they found a good fit.

The problem is where is the offical sight that lists the scholarship players? I have a very hard time believing that they could or would sign more than 85 players to scholarships. I am sure that would not be allowed. You can gray shirt players above 85 but that is not what is happening with Foreman and Moulton.

That scholarship grid isn't entirely accurate. First, it's missing TE Colin McGarry. Also, Austin Hahn and Aaron Hill were awarded scholarships last fall, so unless they no longer have one (which I guess is a possibility, but seems odd they'd be taken away) that would make 88. So unless Hahn and Hill don't got their schollys anymore, the writing is on the wall that coaching staff is anticipating a couple academic casualties (including possibly Crawford not making it in), transfers, and/or a gray shirt or 2.

It is a mystery AShreve20

Per the following quote from MV at the FBT site scholarship information is protected information: "More importantly, however, are the scholarship implications: since the Gophers were at a full 85 scholarships (by my count) before Moulton and Foreman committed, even the likely departure of Eure leaves Minnesota one spot over the limit. This means there’s either another academic casualty waiting for the other shoe to drop publicly, an incoming freshman won’t qualify or a former walk-on turned scholarship player didn’t have their scholarship renewed (the latter is the least likely). I attempted to dig into the scholarship status of a few former walk-ons but understandably, financial aid status of students is protected information. So, barring official announcements of departures and/or non-qualifers, where Kill found the available scholarship for these two players remains a bit of a mystery."

I am certainly confused by this and find it frustrating that there is no official source a fan can go to get accurate information. Having said that, I still find Kill's earlier statement that they had a couple of slots still available, but would only use them if they found the right players to be inconsistent with the MV's and your scholarship count. My only conclusion is that we seem to be missing something. What that is I have no idea.

It very well could be a walk-on turn scholarship player where kill didn't renew their scholarship. IIRC Brew pulled at least one scholly from a walk on when he first got to the U. It's a tough move, but it's Kill's team now and he shouldn't necessarily have to honor those scholarship decisions made by Brew (and I have no idea if this is the case or not, just saying it's not unheard of).

What I like is the combination of patience and persistence that Kill and his staff are exhibiting. They filled out the class, but they didn't just start throwing scholarships at kids. The reviewed their options and centered their efforts on the kids who remained after signing day who could possibly contribute.

He could have pulled a scholarship from a walk on player but I kind of doubt that. Kill is known for building strong walk on programs and you don't really make yourself too likeable to potential walk ons when you pull scholarships from walk ons who earned scholarships. I get that he doesn't have to honor those but I think it'd be a pretty tacky thing to do.

I'd guess that there is some eligibility issues with a player or two. We do have a couple players who are a bit of question marks as far as eligibility (Wright and Crawford) and we were supposedly in a bit of trouble academically when Kill arrived.

Another possibility, and I hope this isn't it, is that a guy like Green or Brandon might not be ready to play football again. I only bring up their names to ask a question, if these guys are too injured to keep playing football, will we get scholarships back? I know their scholarships would be honored but would they count against our 85 total?
(P.S....I don't mean to fling any sort of mud at these guys and I hope it's not the case, but with the report that Green was injured again throughout spring ball and that he is back on crutches, makes me wonder).

He could have pulled a scholarship from a walk on player but I kind of doubt that. Kill is known for building strong walk on programs and you don't really make yourself too likeable to potential walk ons when you pull scholarships from walk ons who earned scholarships. I get that he doesn't have to honor those but I think it'd be a pretty tacky thing to do.

I'd guess that there is some eligibility issues with a player or two. We do have a couple players who are a bit of question marks as far as eligibility (Wright and Crawford) and we were supposedly in a bit of trouble academically when Kill arrived.

Another possibility, and I hope this isn't it, is that a guy like Green or Brandon might not be ready to play football again. I only bring up their names to ask a question, if these guys are too injured to keep playing football, will we get scholarships back? I know their scholarships would be honored but would they count against our 85 total?
(P.S....I don't mean to fling any sort of mud at these guys and I hope it's not the case, but with the report that Green was injured again throughout spring ball and that he is back on crutches, makes me wonder).

From Division 1 Manual:

15.5.1.3 Counter Who Becomes Injured or Ill. A counter who becomes injured or ill to the point that
he or she apparently never again will be able to participate in intercollegiate athletics shall not be considered a
counter beginning with the academic year following the incapacitating injury or illness.
15.5.1.3.1 Incapacitating Injury or Illness. If an incapacitating injury or illness occurs prior to a prospective
student-athlete’s or a student-athlete’s participation in athletically related activities and results in
the student-athlete’s inability to compete ever again, the student-athlete shall not be counted within the
institution’s maximum financial aid award limitations for the current, as well as later academic years. However,
if the incapacitating injury or illness occurs on or after the student-athlete’s participation in countable
athletically related activities in the sport, the student-athlete shall be counted in the institution’s maximum
financial aid limitations for the current academic year but need not be counted in later academic years.
(Adopted: 1/10/91, Revised: 3/26/04, 9/18/07)
15.5.1.3.2 Change in Circumstances. If circumstances change and the student-athlete subsequently
practices or competes at the institution at which the incapacitating injury or illness occurred, the studentathlete
again shall become a counter, and the institution shall be required to count that financial aid under
the limitations of this bylaw in the sport in question during each academic year in which the financial aid
was received. (Revised: 4/26/01 effective 8/1/01)
15.5.1.3.3 Waiver. The Legislative Council Subcommittee for Legislative Relief may waive the requirements
of Bylaw 15.5.1.3.2 upon determination that sufficient documentation is available from competent
medical authorities to indicate that the original injury or illness clearly appeared to be incapacitating and
that there was no reasonable expectation that the student-athlete ever again would be able to participate in
intercollegiate athletics. (Revised: 11/1/07 effective 8/1/08)

Maybe Foreman can get his former teammate, DE Taiwan Johnson, to come up here too.

It is highly doubtful that X Brandon can sit out two years and ever develop into a BigTen football player, when he really had not been close to being a starter before he got hurt. Hard telling how he feels about it, he may not want to give up the dream, but bad backs for football players are a killer. I assume if he can no longer play, he will be on scholarship until he graduates, without counting as a player.

Top Bottom