Seattle likely to join WAC in 2012-13

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Perhaps more than any other conference, the WAC (especially football) has been hit hardest by conference realignment. After losing Boise State (already in the Mountain West) as well as Nevada, Fresno State & Hawaii (all after the 2011-12 season), the new-look basketball WAC won't exactly strike fear in other conferences:

Denver
Idaho
Louisiana Tech
New Mexico State
San Jose State
Seattle
Texas San-Antonio
Texas State
Utah State

I suspect Utah State's dominance of the WAC will become even more pronounced, though on-the-rise Seattle & head coach Cameron Dollar might give Stew Morrill a run for his money.

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/30024615

WCC

I think Seattle first looked into the WCC, but Mark Few (for one) said in terms of basketball the conference should abstain from adding schools that could drag down the conference (RPI killers). Certainly BYU was a nice addition for the WCC in that regard.

However, I'm not so sure Few is right on this one. Within 2-3 years I won't be surprised if Seattle is a solid program better than about half of the WCC's RPI killers, most notably Pepperdine, LMU & San Diego.

I think the question, as it was with Gonzaga, is how good will the coach be after Cameron Dollar? I'm assuming a whole lot here, but as Pac-10 openings emerge Dollar, the former UCLA point guard will likely be drawing a lot of attention if he continues to do nice things at Seattle. The good news is that most of the top Pac 10 jobs, such as Washington, UCLA, Arizona, Oregon, Arizona St. seem like they might be quite stable for awhile. But then, there is USC. . .how much longer will Kevin O'Neill be cursing up and down the sideline, getting into scrapes with Arizona boosters?

I'm hoping Seattle U can continue to build; it's a nice story, Elgin Baylor's alma mater rising back up from D-II status.

WAC football is going to suck something serious. Worse than the sun belt once all of the changes happen. Adding a rising basketball program will help them though.

WAC football is going to suck something serious. Worse than the sun belt once all of the changes happen. Adding a rising basketball program will help them though.

Initially that may be true, but I think the two new Texas squads will be very good mid-major programs in time. You have to appreciate how truly bad the Sun Belt is. Their Sagarin rating placed them behind several I-AA conferences last year.

Those Texas schools will have to win some nonconference games to boost ratings in the computers saragarin ect. I can't see either new Texas school winning multiple nonconference games in the next few years. By the time they become decent midmajors they may be out of the conference already.

if the WAC had brains,.theyd go after.

NDSU/Northern Iowa & Montana/Mont St as a 4 team package.......but the WAC doesnt want to be dominated like that.

I've come to the conclusion lakesbison that you are not actually a NDSU fan but rather a UND or SDSU or some other fan. Your aim seems to be to make ridiculous statements about NDSU that invite ridicule and derision from other fanbases. Frankly, if you were a Gopher fan making similarly ridiculous statements (relatively speaking), I would be embarrassed that you were viewed by some as a mouthpiece for the program.

I've come to the conclusion lakesbison that you are not actually a NDSU fan but rather a UND or SDSU or some other fan. Your aim seems to be to make ridiculous statements about NDSU that invite ridicule and derision from other fanbases. Frankly, if you were a Gopher fan making similarly ridiculous statements (relatively speaking), I would be embarrassed that you were viewed by some as a mouthpiece for the program.

Lakes is an undercover agent working for UND. His job is to make NDSU look bad. I think he's getting a bonus for doing such a good job.

NDSU/Northern Iowa & Montana/Mont St as a 4 team package.......but the WAC doesnt want to be dominated like that.

Wet-dreaming NDSU fans might think this as some kind of promotion, but the other schools would view this move as no better than lateral, notwithstanding the move to FBS football. Change the sheets when you wake up.

On the other hand, the point is moot so long as the ND state house mandates that the Fargo School of Silo Construction and Small Gas Engine Repair use the Sioux name. No conference will extend an invite with that tomfoolery ongoing.

If North Dakotan's had brains theyd try to not let people know where they were from

Top Bottom