Excellent blog entry from ESPN.com

Dunks should be awarded 1-point, an assist for a dunk should be 2-points, therefore making the teamwork of a dunk a 3-point play. A slam home on a rebound is crowd pleasing, but would be worth only that 1-point. Pass the ball!

Definitely worth the read! A terrific assist is always a thing of beauty. Pass the ball! I agree on the one-point dunk...easiest shot in the game.

So if you pull your hands away at the last second so they don't touch the rim it should be worth more points?

James just doesn't have the ability to focus and take over, playing in college has absolutely no impact other than you gain some experience. The two best at that are Jordan and Bryant, and Bryant never played college basketball and Jordan really didn't dominate until the pro's.

Okay, that's ridiculous (the one-pt dunk thing) lol. But yes, the sentiment that teams win championships has always been true. Stars get the highlights and credit, but teams win. It seems the Jordan era started this whole star thing, but even go from then till now, the best team won the title the vast majority of the years. The problem for the Heat is that one of their stars in LeBron, didn't play anything like a star when the big moment came. If LeBron plays like he's easily capable of, the Heat might win this series in 5 games.

This one piece I thought was the most important of it:

Talent is important. But when you can blend that talent with something more, with something collective, that's when every basketball player's dream -- greatness -- becomes a reality. Greatness isn't a nickname or a clothing line or the number of zeroes on your paycheck. It's never that easy.

The Mavs had plenty of talent, honestly, not that much less than the Heat when you really look at both rosters. But clearly, they had it in them to fight, and considering the makeup of that roster, all the previous playoff failures they had experienced, that's not surprising.

The problem for the Heat is that one of their stars in LeBron, didn't play anything like a star when the big moment came. If LeBron plays like he's easily capable of, the Heat might win this series in 5 games.

'If's and 'but's are fun. IF Caron Butler doesn't have a season-ending injury, then the Mavs might have swept the Heat. IF the Mavs are hitting their open shots the first few games like they were the last couple, then maybe they win it in 5 even without Butler.

Assuming the Mavs can keep the core of their team together for another year, I think they should be the consensus favorite for the NBA championship in 2012, and Butler's return is one of the big reasons why. The Mavs were dominant before Butler and Dirk started missing games - they were 24-5 and had won 17 of 18. A core group of Dirk, Chandler, Marion, Butler, Kidd, Barea, and Terry is going to be tough to top next year. They will need to find a good, more defensive-minded PG if Kidd retires before the NBA plays again, but they have a much deeper team than Miami has if you only consider guys who are actually good NBA players.

'If's and 'but's are fun. IF Caron Butler doesn't have a season-ending injury, then the Mavs might have swept the Heat. IF the Mavs are hitting their open shots the first few games like they were the last couple, then maybe they win it in 5 even without Butler.

Yeah, I wasn't really trying to play the "if" game, I was just noting how just because you have more physical gifts, doesn't mean a lot if you don't put it together when you need it, which the Mavs did with relative ease once Miami felt the heat...pun intended lol.

Top Bottom