Minnesota - Michigan 2005

highwayman

Knows Less Than Coaching Staff
Reaction score
On BTN last night. What a fun game to watch. Maroney and Russell both run for over 120. 20-20 in the 4th quarter, Cupito goes down; in comes Mortenson, we never throw a pass again. Michigan Stadium clock breaks, refs are having a "hard time" telling Minnesota how much time is left, Mason fears they will let time run out. On-air crew keeps saying Minnesota needs to "play for overtime". With no passing game, Gary Russell runs 61 yards on 3rd and long to set up Jason Giannini's winning FG with 0:06 left. Kucek, for the first time in his career, has to hold for the FG as injured Cupito stays on the bench.

Strange "commercial break" interview with Mason about the last few seconds of the game. "I told Tony that whether he made or missed the field goal, I would still love him. Tony said 'yeah'." I guess by Tony, he meant Jason "Tony" Giannini. They also captioned Chip Scoggins as "Scroggins".

Ah, my best trip to Ann Arbor.

That clock situation was so bizarre.

The silence of 100,000+ Michigan fans was amazing, easily the most arrogant fans I have encountered. Amazing how the clock managed to "malfunction" at just the right time for Michigan...

This was another game I missed for some reason.. I can't recall why, though.

The silence of 100,000+ Michigan fans was amazing, easily the most arrogant fans I have encountered. Amazing how the clock managed to "malfunction" at just the right time for Michigan...

Arrogant, condescending, you name it. Most of those fans, and many Michigan alum make me want to vomit.

I remember the loud obnoxious guy banging the cowbell in the stands, we were in different seats but saw and heard him both times. It sure was nice going to the Little Brown Jug afterwards to celebrate!

I'll always remember falling off the bar stool at the bar I was at when Russell broke that run. I was so shocked and jacked up by it I just tipped right off of the side and landed with a thud. It was so worth it.

We were at home. I remember being so mad at the non-whistle on the fumble return that I went outside to rake leaves. Came back for the second half. I remember spouse gopherfaith screaming as Russell turned the corner..."oh, oh, go, GO! GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" What fun.

Michigan had no offensive TDs, missed 3 FG and had 110 yards total offense in the second half.

We were in the far endzone, about row 90, for that one. Best. Road trip. Ever.

multiple memories from that game

- Sharing a beer with a stuffed wolverine in the Pioneer HS tailgating lot
- Offered a beer by a Gopher fan as we were walking to Michigan Stadium. Drinking last drop of said beer as we crossed the street to wait in line to get into the stadium and then forgetting to throw can away. Subsequently getting frisked by security inside the gates and having my ticket confiscated, name taken down and told that if I were to attempt to gain entry into the game again I would be placed under arrest.
- Turned around, crossed the street and purchased first ticket I came across for $15. Went directly to entrance on opposite side of stadium and found my original seat.
- Had a smashing good time in the stands receiving multiple updates from wife on how Wisconsin was able to piss away a high scoring game against Northwestern that day. Good news.
- Fast forward to the end of the game. Perfect view down the sidelines on Gary Russell's 61 yard jaunt on 3rd and long to set up game winning FG. Once I saw Spaeth seal the end I promptly grabbed GoldysArmy and let my weight take down him and the people in the next three rows in jubilation.
- Gianni's FG = Jug.:)
- For those of you that have attended a game at Michigan Stadium most people exit to the west side of the stadium following the game. Traffic nightmare and one of Ann Arbor's finest sits atop a tall podium with a loudspeaker directing traffic. Flash back to the game a year earlier where the Gophers gave up a late TD to lose. Same officer atop podium openly mocks Gopher fans crossing the street that day. I was one of those poor saps. Well said officer in 2005 wasn't so lippy so I thought I'd let him know he was a little more verbose the year before and asked why he wasn't so talkative that day. He did not appreciate that :pig:
- Walking the streets of Ann Arbor that night wearing a golden cowboy hat. The women did not hit on me anymore than usual for whatever reason.
- Not catching the (any for that matter) taxi from downtown and preceding to walk 4.3 miles (yes, I mapped it out) back to our hotel that night. Hit the bed approximately 3:47 am. Did see fornicating raccoons however.

Section 9, Row 92, Seat 32

My side of the family from Chicago met us in Ann Arbor for the game, as did Michigan fans and Michigan alumni we know here in Pennsylvania. We bought a block of tickets for all of us. There were others in the family who came from Kansas and a friend from Tennessee. imthewalrus was part of our gang. I cannot remember if The Loon was with us that year. What an exhilirating feeling. We were so overjoyed. Words cannot express the elation. I have been going to the Big House for years for Little Brown Jugs and I finally hit the jackpot. I am so glad I convinced imthewalrus to make the road trip and attend this game with us. I think the only events that could have bested the feeling of joy we experienced would have been V-E Day and V-J Day, but these were before my time. I patiently wait for the next coach who will deliver us victories on the road in State College, Columbus, and Ann Arbor. I hope it is Jerry Kill.

Such an epic day. I don't know that I've ever had a road trip like that.

- Offered a beer by a Gopher fan as we were walking to Michigan Stadium. Drinking last drop of said beer as we crossed the street to wait in line to get into the stadium and then forgetting to throw can away. Subsequently getting frisked by security inside the gates and having my ticket confiscated, name taken down and told that if I were to attempt to gain entry into the game again I would be placed under arrest.
- Turned around, crossed the street and purchased first ticket I came across for $15. Went directly to entrance on opposite side of stadium and found my original seat.
- Had a smashing good time in the stands receiving multiple updates from wife on how Wisconsin was able to piss away a high scoring game against Northwestern that day. Good news.
- Fast forward to the end of the game. Perfect view down the sidelines on Gary Russell's 61 yard jaunt on 3rd and long to set up game winning FG. Once I saw Spaeth seal the end I promptly grabbed GoldysArmy and let my weight take down him and the people in the next three rows in jubilation.
- For those of you that have attended a game at Michigan Stadium most people exit to the west side of the stadium following the game. Traffic nightmare and one of Ann Arbor's finest sits atop a tall podium with a loudspeaker directing traffic. Flash back to the game a year earlier where the Gophers gave up a late TD to lose. Same officer atop podium openly mocks Gopher fans crossing the street that day. I was one of those poor saps. Well said officer in 2005 wasn't so lippy so I thought I'd let him know he was a little more verbose the year before and asked why he wasn't so talkative that day. He did not appreciate that :pig:
- Walking the streets of Ann Arbor that night wearing a golden cowboy hat. The women did not hit on me anymore than usual for whatever reason.
- Not catching the (any for that matter) taxi from downtown and preceding to walk 4.3 miles (yes, I mapped it out) back to our hotel that night. Hit the bed approximately 3:47 am. Did see fornicating raccoons however.

Normy, how can you forget breaking bread (and wings) with Tipsy and Lloyd?

The formation was genius.

The playside blocking was unreal (Ellerson).

Michigan was lined up wrong.

Gary should've studied more.

Normy, how can you forget breaking bread (and wings) with Tipsy and Lloyd?

Should have given the moment its due. Closed down the Blue Wolverine that night. Probably not mentioned due to moments that have shined more while on the road (i.e. Rathskellar, The Beer Sellar, Sota' Social @ Purdue circa 1998)

Should have given the moment its due. Closed down the Blue Wolverine that night. Probably not mentioned due to moments that have shined more while on the road (i.e. Rathskellar, The Beer Sellar, Sota' Social @ Purdue circa 1998)

Ah yes, the Blue Wolverine. I couldn't recall the name of the place. The 'Sota Social at Purdue (in 2002 I believe) served up one of the weirdest moments I've experienced as a traveling Gopher fan. Being kicked out of a fellow Gopher fan's minivan while being berated with foul language was sad and hilarious at the same time.

I about spit water out my nose after reading about the raccoons!!! That was so dang funny!!!

Top Bottom