FSN: A look back at past Gophers quarterbacks

Gray replaces Adam Weber, a four-year starter who shattered all of Minnesota's career passing records thanks to his longevity, durability and Brewster's pass-heavy offensive scheme.

An addendum:
Gray replaces Adam Weber, a four-year starter who shattered all of Minnesota's career passing records thanks to his longevity, durability, Brewster's pass-heavy offensive scheme, and the fact that the Gophers were playing from behind in almost every game.

Not a Weber-bashing, but my God... what a glaring omission.

barnboy: who are you bashing?

It had better be the incompetent brewster. It takes NOTHING away from Weber's accomplishments. In fact, it made it a heck of a lot tougher for Weber to have to be playing behind. Every stinking defense in the Big Ten KNEW what was coming. There was not an adequate running game OR offensive line...so, it was going to be Weber passing. And the defensive ends and blitzers pinned back their ears and rushed and they flat out played all out pass defense. Because they KNEW that is what the coordinator was going to be calling.

So barnboy...your bash is purely a bash of the incompetent brewster then...right?

If anything, it made Weber's statistics even MORE meaningful barnboy.

; 0 )

Sweet! Another thread derailed!! Who cares if you have a great Cockerham moment....or was Cupito's career underrated....how good was Cole? Nevermind.

An addendum:
Gray replaces Adam Weber, a four-year starter who shattered all of Minnesota's career passing records thanks to his longevity, durability, Brewster's pass-heavy offensive scheme, and the fact that the Gophers were playing from behind in almost every game.

Not a Weber-bashing, but my God... what a glaring omission.

What does that have to do with the fact that he broke so many of Minnesota's passing records?

What does that have to do with the fact that he broke so many of Minnesota's passing records?

Because you pass more when you are behind to save clock and pick up bigger chunks of yards. You run more when you are ahead to kill the clock. But that shouldn't take away from Weber's accomplishments. If anything, the reason his stats are padded is because Brew kept him in there during garbage time, too.

In his senior year, the Gophers started hot again, winning their first seven games and on the brink of going 8-0 before a historic fourth-quarter collapse against Michigan at the Metrodome

False.

in 07 & 08 gophers passed 51% & 49% of the time respectively.

Those pesky facts getting in the way of the argument that Minnesota was "Pass Heavy", thanks!

I find it amazing that the Gophers have had 3 straight QB's start for 3 or more years, yet none of them has been a game changer in any way. I never felt like if one of those QB's was on his game that he could lead the team to a victory over a better team or lead a two minute drill for a win.

If Weber to Decker and Tow-Arnett were not excellent passing combinations, we would have seen what bad football really looks like. I absolutely get the frustraion with Brewster, but the down playing of Weber's contributions in the midst of this chaos is a constant amazement to me. The kid was virtually heoic, and you would think he mailed it in every week. He had no business being on the field the last third of two seasons. He had surgery after two seasons and during one season.
Just amazing what people expect from a 20 year old with a new OC every year, and a HC making it up as he went along..

Brewster is gone. I have have moved on. In fact we should all move on.

Verge of going 7-0, 8-0, what's the difference, right? LOL I'll give him that it's not a horrible error, but it does annoy me when they don't do a simple check of things like that when writing articles.

If Weber to Decker and Tow-Arnett were not excellent passing combinations, we would have seen what bad football really looks like. I absolutely get the frustraion with Brewster, but the down playing of Weber's contributions in the midst of this chaos is a constant amazement to me. The kid was virtually heoic, and you would think he mailed it in every week. He had no business being on the field the last third of two seasons. He had surgery after two seasons and during one season.
Just amazing what people expect from a 20 year old with a new OC every year, and a HC making it up as he went along..

I looked back at Weber's freshman year. After the Illinois game, I would have benched him and played the first live body off the bench. He was horrible in never getting his team to the end of the 3rd quarter with a lead. Then he would go on a 4th quarter roll and so would the opposing team. He averaged being behind by 9 points at the end of the 3rd quarter. Of the 3 games he had a lead at the end of the 3rd, he lost 2 of them. Great quarterbacks don't lose in the 4th. I really don't care if he was a freshman. I would have rolled a jelly donut on the field if it could win the first three quarters of the game -- just to give the team a chance at victory.

And just because he was injured, does not make him heroic. It makes him and the coaches look stupid for not having a backup that could at least resemble a teammate. It wasn't like we were closing in on the NC or the B1G championship where the "freshman" was irreplaceable. So, in retrospect, it looks like BS and not a sensible move or reasonable more.

Weber didn't look the part of a winner in his freshman year. He got thrown to the wolves and lost a realistic development cycle where he would have time to develop his skills and abilities. As it stands, if given a chance to have a jelly donut or relive the glory of losing to SoDak in his senior year, I'll take the jelly donut.

It had better be the incompetent brewster. It takes NOTHING away from Weber's accomplishments. In fact, it made it a heck of a lot tougher for Weber to have to be playing behind. Every stinking defense in the Big Ten KNEW what was coming. There was not an adequate running game OR offensive line...so, it was going to be Weber passing. And the defensive ends and blitzers pinned back their ears and rushed and they flat out played all out pass defense. Because they KNEW that is what the coordinator was going to be calling.

So barnboy...your bash is purely a bash of the incompetent brewster then...right?

If anything, it made Weber's statistics even MORE meaningful barnboy.

; 0 )

It also fails to factor in the HORRENDOUS offensive lines he played behind for two seasons. Horrendous!

You know, there are a few things that never get mentioned when people make that argument (constantly behind, therefore forced to pass more) for why Weber passed for so many yards:

> That's when most QB's make most of their mistakes, throw most of their INT's
> That's when you also face the heaviest pass rush

But why let a few things like that get in the way of a good argument...

I thought one of the main points of the original article was that Cockerham and Abdul-Khalik both had success as dual-threat QB's who were able to run and pass effectively.

That's what I thought Weber was going to be his FR year, but for whatever reason (injuries - coaching strategies?) he seemed to get away from the running game as he got older.

One of the reasons why fans are excited about Gray is that he looks to bring that dual-threat option. We all saw what Cam Newton and Terelle Pryor have done by combining running and throwing options. Let's not forget that College FB is not pro FB. A mobile QB who can run the option or scramble for a 1st down is a big plus at the college level - and judging from what Kill did at Northern Illinois, that's the type of QB that he wants running his offense.

Weber is gone. Brewster is gone. Let's look forward, not backwards.

Top Bottom