BTN's "Top TE's of the '00s"

FireDaveLee

Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Wondering if anybody else saw this. I forget the exact rankings, but I believe it was the following:
1-Dallas Clark
2-Dustin Keller
3-Travis Beckum
4-Owen Daniels
5-Chris Baker
6-Tim Stratton
7-Tony Moeaki
8-Matt Spaeth
9-Garret Graham
10-Ben Hartsock

I agree with Dallas Clark and can accept Dustin Keller, but I think Matt Spaeth should be next in line with Stratton, especially if it's college accomplishments that are being taken into account. They each won the Mackey Award respecitvely. That should mean more than however many NFL fantasy football points have been put up by Owen Daniels.

Am I wrong & just seeing this through maroon & gold colored glasses? I guess I just feel Spaeth was slighted because he was one of my favorite Gopher players ever due to his accomplishments & toughness.

You are correct sir! Matt Spaeth should be number 3 on that list. The Big 10 Network is viewing the players through NFL glasses. He was not only a threat in the passing game, but a major cog in a couple 1,000 yard rushers, a huge stretch play at the Big House.

Assuming they are talking about college productivity (which I feel to be a safe assumption, given that the list is from the Big Ten Network), this list sucks. Owen Daniels wasn't even that good in college. He is no doubt the 2nd- or 3rd-best pro on the list, but he shouldn't even be in the top 10 Big Ten TEs of the 2000s. Where is Bennie Joppru? Spaeth should be #4 at worst (behind Clark, Keller, and Stratton), and Joppru should be top 5 as well.

Switch TEs 8, 7, & 6 with 3, 4, & 5 in some fashion and you've got a list.

This is ridiculous!

Spaeth was probably the best blocking tight end of the decade. He absolutley destroyed people. Does that count anymore?

The Mackey award is given to the the best TE in the entire NATION. Since Clark, Stratton, and Spaeth are the only 3 on that list that won this award, they should by definition be listed as the top 3 TE of the decade in the Big Ten. This list is absolute s**t.

Top Bottom