Coach Kill's Responses and Comments on Sports Huddle 6/12/11

DL65

Reaction score
The following are the responses and comments to Dave and Sid's questions on this morning's Sports Huddle:

1) Coach Kill was invited and attended Tubby Smith's surprise birthday celebration (60th) last night. "It was a privilege to be invited." 47 family members and friends were flown in to the Twin Cities on a chartered flight for the celebration. The Smith's represent the state and country well.

2) Meet the Rookie: Alumni will meet with the new recruits later this month. Most of the recruits are on campus; many arrived yesterday, some today and summer school will begin Monday. Some of the recruits will arrive later because of late graduations.

3) Sid asked how far in advance does Kill and staff scout future opponents: Kill said they presently have reports on the first six opponents. They look at the opponents offense and and defensive units, returning players, strengths and weaknesses, etc. However, now they're focusing on recruits, especially the next two year classes in Minnesota.

4) Fall practice starts Monday, August 8. This year's recruits will be spending a lot of time with strength coach Klein. They must be ready physically and fitness-wise for practice and to be inlcuded in the 105 team at the start of fall practice. Fall practice is not the time to get in shape.

5) It remains to be seen if many of the fall practices will be open to the public. He'll do what is best for the team and he'll make his decision in late July. He would like to have some of the practices open to the public.

6) Coaches go on vacation in July. Always a couple coaches on campus. Nothing worse than a tired coach, so they'll take a couple weeks off before fall practices commence.

7) Dave Mona asked about recruiting and whether or not they use a master list: Coach Kill said they try keep balance in the recruiting classes; however, they're unbalanced now. The graduating class/postions are replaced. If they're recruiting 3 TEs, as an example, the first 3 to commit get the scholarships. They also look at recruits that they classify as athletes and try to determine other positions that they might be able to play and produce at. As an example, a quarterback that might excell at another position. Also, because they're unbalanced in their recruiting, due to needs, you'll see juco recruits. (Sounds as though his preference is to recruit high school players; juco players/recruits are based on position needs.)

8) Position changes after spring ball: There were a couple players moved to OL; however, he believes some of the new recruits (up to 4) will experience a change in positions from what they played in high school.

9) Getting a lot of recruits from across the country that will be on campus for the summer camps. They try to evaluate the players intelligence, how coachable they are, as well as their skill sets. Nothing more important then studying a player up close and personal.

Go Gophers!!

Thank You!

Gosh, I appreciate you doing this. I really look forward to your reports. Thank you very much!
Excellent job!

Gosh, I appreciate you doing this. I really look forward to your reports. Thank you very much!
Excellent job!

Dr. Don and 60's guy said it but I'll say it again, thank you! I always look forward to your update!

how long will he keep doing this on WCCO

seems to me at some stage KFAN would take exception considering they got the contract with the Gophers - there must be some contract with WCCO that the U must be honoring for Kill to keep doing sports hudle gig

I don't know about the contract, but I do know that I look forward to these reports.

It still amazes me that Kill is allowed to require every recruit expected to be present for fall camp to not only be in Minneapolis for summer work outs - but to take summer school.

As DL65 reports there will be 105 players in fall camp and since the NCAA allows a maximum of 85 players to be on scholarship that means 20 guys are paying out of their own pocket to live in Mpls and go to summer school this summer. That's wrong, IMO. The school should have to pay their expenses or it should not be allowed.

As DL65 reports there will be 105 players in fall camp and since the NCAA allows a maximum of 85 players to be on scholarship that means 20 guys are paying out of their own pocket to live in Mpls and go to summer school this summer. That's wrong, IMO. The school should have to pay their expenses or it should not be allowed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't those 20 guys have to pay out of their own pocket anyways? The classes still cost the same, whether they complete them in the summer or in the fall.

Plus, that can allow them to spread out their courseloads more evenly throughout their semesters and not be as overwhelmed with both football and school happening simultaneously.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't those 20 guys have to pay out of their own pocket anyways? The classes still cost the same, whether they complete them in the summer or in the fall.

Plus, that can allow them to spread out their courseloads more evenly throughout their semesters and not be as overwhelmed with both football and school happening simultaneously.

I doubt any recruited walkon has ever stayed on paying his own way for the entire college career. The idea is that you come on with the expectation of earning a scholarship.

Having to pay for lodging, food, etc. this summer is an expense they wouldn't have normally.

Also, the cost of tuition is per credit until you reach some number of credits. So for example if a typical undergrad program is 120 credits, that's 15 credits a semester for 8 semesters. But if the credit ceiling is 12 credits, then credits 13-15 are essentially free. So as you can see, by taking those 3 credits in summer school instead it's an another extra expense.

I don't actually have a problem with requiring fall camp recruits to be on campus during the summer. Actually - I think it's a great idea! BUT - and especially at a Big Ten school for crying out loud - you shouldn't be making these guys pay their own way to do it.

Why does the NCAA allow more than 85 players to be in fall camp anyway? If they limited it to 85 then everyone in camp would be on the same scholarship, everyone would be equal and this problem wouldn't exist.

The NCAA used to require that..

I doubt any recruited walkon has ever stayed on paying his own way for the entire college career. The idea is that you come on with the expectation of earning a scholarship.

Having to pay for lodging, food, etc. this summer is an expense they wouldn't have normally.

Also, the cost of tuition is per credit until you reach some number of credits. So for example if a typical undergrad program is 120 credits, that's 15 credits a semester for 8 semesters. But if the credit ceiling is 12 credits, then credits 13-15 are essentially free. So as you can see, by taking those 3 credits in summer school instead it's an another extra expense.

I don't actually have a problem with requiring fall camp recruits to be on campus during the summer. Actually - I think it's a great idea! BUT - and especially at a Big Ten school for crying out loud - you shouldn't be making these guys pay their own way to do it.

Why does the NCAA allow more than 85 players to be in fall camp anyway? If they limited it to 85 then everyone in camp would be on the same scholarship, everyone would be equal and this problem wouldn't exist.

All players had to be staying on campus for the start of practice. Because it started before school did, the players could stay in the dorms and be fed if they were walk-ons without incurring expenses. That may have changed, but it would make little sense if it did. 85 is the number of scholarships, 105 is the number of players allowed to be on the "team" and to participate in practice. That is the reason walk-ons used to come in early and have a mini camp to get the number down to 105. I didn't see that listed above, so I'm not sure if that is still the case.

It still amazes me that Kill is allowed to require every recruit expected to be present for fall camp to not only be in Minneapolis for summer work outs - but to take summer school.

These players have the option of not being part of the program by going to a different school. They obviously want to give it a shot. Whether Kill convinced them or they've convinced themselves, it's worth it to them to do this. A lot more things that are unfair to worry about.

Next Week's Sports Huddle

First, I want to thank all who have expressed appreciation for the weekly summaries of coach Kill's comments on the Sports Huddle. I'm grateful that you enjoy the reports and in some cases that they stimulate discussions about Gopher football.

That said, and FYI, I have a commitment next Sunday. So, I won't be able to write a report; however, maybe another GopherHoler can listen and submit a summary. In any case, I plan to continue to write the weekly reports on the following Sundays.

Go Gophers!!

First, I want to thank all who have expressed appreciation for the weekly summaries of coach Kill's comments on the Sports Huddle. I'm grateful that you enjoy the reports and in some cases that they stimulate discussions about Gopher football.

That said, and FYI, I have a commitment next Sunday. So, I won't be able to write a report; however, maybe another GopherHoler can listen and submit a summary. In any case, I plan to continue to write the weekly reports on the following Sundays.

Go Gophers!!

I always enjoy reading your reports also. Keep it up!

seems to me at some stage KFAN would take exception considering they got the contract with the Gophers - there must be some contract with WCCO that the U must be honoring for Kill to keep doing sports hudle gig

Interesting take. I kind of look at it the other way. If I'm KFAN, I'm thrilled that WCCO is giving free publicity to the Gopher football program. The more interest that builds for Gopher football, the higher the gameday radio ratings will be for KFAN. To me, the entire reason that KFAN took on the Gophers was to get a large gameday rating number on Saturdays in the fall. WCCO hyping and promoting the program can only help that gameday number for KFAN. WCCO interviewing Kill every Sunday certainly won't drive fans to listen to WCCO's broadcast of St. Thomas games. But, it might interest enough folks to switch over to KFAN on gameday.

I think there is a contract between Coach Kill and WCCO. I believe other coaches had it as well. But I don't recall other coaches on this time of the year like Kill is.

Top Bottom