North Dakota Sophomore turning heads

JohnnyGopher

Reaction score
Talked to a media friend in North Dakota the other day and he was really talking up a sophomore from Dickinson, North Dakota named Joe Hanstad, said he will be the best kid out of the state since Jeff Boschee and wanted to know if the Gophers we're looking at him. I don't know right now if the Gophers are aware of him, but NDSU offered him as a freshman and recently it sounds like Gonzaga just offered and Iowa has been sniffing around. My buddy said he reminds him alot of Mike Miller when he played at Mitchell.

Doing a little research, he is 6'3 SG, class of 2011 and is leading the state in scoring at 26.6 pts. , about 5 rebounds and 3.6 assists a game. shooting 56% from the field, 85% from the line, and 42.2 % from three(19 of 45).

Found this team photo, he's #5

http://www2.edutech.nodak.edu/edcbb/Boys/teams/dickinson.html

Also found this video of him which looks pretty good.

http://www.kxmb.com/getArticle.asp?ArticleId=327522

Also, this should be another good year for Gopher fans to check out the top Howard Pulley team, which will feature PG Marcus Alipate, SG Jacob Thomas, SF Chad Calcaterra, PF Marvin Singleton, and C Seantrell Henderson

Johnny - do you know what the Gophers' interest is in Singleton? I've been to a few Hopkins games this year and have been impressed with Singleton. I like his aggression and willingness to throw his body around, but is his height a concern for his style of play?

I can't belive they are called the midgets... lol

Someone will have to shut them down.

Calcaterra at small forward? Did you just throw that out there to put his name in there johnny or would chad calcaterra actually play the 3?

I was wondering the same exact thing GopherNation. I trust JohnnyGopher more than any other poster on this board, but I thought he was strictly a inside guy.

Why We He Consider Playing For Tubby In The Big 10?

When you could play for the Buffaloes in Fargo vs. the tradition-laden programs like UM-KC and Oakland ?!?!?!

Oh, I forgot. The Summit Network . . . . my bad !

He looks like he has a good body for a soph...he could still get to 6'5-6'6

do you know what the Gophers' interest is in Singleton?

I think you already hit on the obvious answer, his size will determine exactly what level he plays at, right now it is a concern. Much like Marshall Bjorklund, he really needs to grow another 2 inches and then there recruitment would blow up. Marvin could also take the Raymond Cowels approach and really work on his perimeter skills and be more of a 3. Minnesota is definately aware of him and will watch him closely this summer.

Calcaterra at small forward? Did you just throw that out there to put his name in there johnny or would chad calcaterra actually play the 3?

I was trying to fit the best five players into a starting lineup and Chad fit the 3 better than Marvin. Those position titles don't really matter much in AAU or high school ball, although i think down the line, Chad will have the ability to play away from the basket and I think he could be kind of a Mike Bauer type player, probably not the three point shooter Mike was though.

Hansted was at NDSU's game 2 weekends ago, saw a good crowd of 4,700 and fun game.

Woodside is just playing out of his mind .

NDSU lost Dufult to Colorado 2 years ago. so we need to keep the in-state talent. Hansted has had an offer for 2 years now and know's Fargo.

Marshall B is also has an offer from NDSU.

Chadron Nebraska Big Man

Anybody heard anything about a big man from Chadron Nebraska? Apparently there is a kid pretty similar to Colton Iverson that is turning some heads and has a chance to blow up. He may even end up playing for the South Dakota AAU team Colton played for.

It looks Hanstad will hitty the AAU circuit this summer with a Twin Cities team. If he makes an impression, I would imagine he'll leave the flatlands of Dakota behind some day.

Still a long way to go in this one.

Top Bottom