Per Rivals: Dinero Moss a Gopher

wels0081

Reaction score
Dinero "straight cash homey" Moss is going to be a Gopher, Matt O'Connell tweeted it earlier today.

"Dinero Moss from Piper High in Florida has just committed to Minnesota."

This is a good get. Hopefully his teammate Barrington Morris comes with him.

Welcome Dinero, very glad to have you on board with the Gophers!

Here's hoping Dinero becomes "money" in the endzone ;)

Welcome aboard, Mr. Moss!

Another recent article on Dinero and Barrington

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/05/20/2227273/piper-pair-has-college-coaches.html

Piper pair has college coaches’ attention
By Walter Villa
Miami Herald Writer

Dinero Moss’ first name means “money” in Spanish. But the highly recruited defensive back is not the only Piper High player who appears to have a prosperous future.

Veteran coach Tom Marante, in his second year running Piper’s program, said numerous college recruiters have visited practice this spring to scout Moss, who has offers from Nebraska, Minnesota and others.

But once at Piper, recruiters quickly became enamored with the team’s new middle linebacker, Barrington Morris, who had eight sacks last year playing left end and has made a smooth transition to the heart of the defense.

“Last year, teams ran away from Barrington,” Marante said. “Now, he will be in the middle of the action.”

Marante said the move inside has “catapulted” Morris in the eyes of recruiters. It also helps that Morris has grown 11/2 inches and gained 15 pounds since last year. He is now 6-31/2 and 240 pounds.

“He is getting daily offers — Minnesota, Syracuse, Nebraska,” Marante said. “Alabama is coming in Monday and Tennessee, as well.”

Marante said that even though Morris has yet to play a game at his new position, he has the height, range and talent to be among the best linebackers in the state.

Piper is coming off a pair of 3-7 seasons, but Morris and Moss could key a defensive turnaround. Moss, a 5-11, 185-pounder, has good speed and is regarded as an excellent cover guy, intercepting four passes last season. But he’s also physical, making 83 tackles, second best on the team.

Other Piper standouts include wide receiver/safety Kingston Saintil and right tackle Anthony Nau, who also can play center.

Morris, meanwhile, reminds Marante of a pair of former Miami-Dade County linebackers: Lamont Green, who went on to play for Florida State; and Marvin Jones, who reached the NFL.

“Barrington is not as fast as Jones, but he’s more physical than Green,” Marante said. “Barrington is imposing. Recruiters have seen him in agility drills, scrimmages and 7 on 7s and are very excited. They also like how vocal he has become, taking over the leadership role that comes with playing the middle.”

Marante said he likes to put his players at positions where they can succeed at the next level and is convinced that linebacker is the best spot for Morris.

But if a college were to switch him back to defensive end, Marante believes this year’s experiment will still have been valuable for Morris.

“A lot of colleges are now using hybrid defensive ends who take their hands off the ground and drop into zones,” the coach said. “Barrington is fast enough to cover anyone for 15 to 20 yards.

“Playing linebacker will put him that much further ahead once he gets to college.”

Hopefully, this is the tip of the iceberg in terms of what to expect from this and future recruiting classes. The talk about Kill's recruiting classes at NIU lacking star quality is nonsense. No disrespect to NIU but they'll never attract a lot of 3-star players let alone 4 or 5's. Kill is at a Big 10 school and he should shoot for the stars, both literally and figuratively.

Go Go4's!

WHY ARE MORE PEOPLE NOT PUMPED UP THIS COMMIT! He is a very good player

This is an awesome commitment! I'm pumped! Welcome aboard, you'll love Minnesota!

A 3* verbal is a good get for Coach Kill and could have a good upside. I hope he is the type of player that coach needs to get us to the next level. He is probably a very good HS player and seems excited to come the the UM. All good stuff.

In the meantime, I will hold my enthusiasm and see what he has done two or three years after becoming a Gopher.

Because he hasn't taken his official visits yet and to the best of my knowledge committed sight unseen. If he signs come February I would be more excited.

He has family ties to the state of MN (Mom) and he is not going to his scheduled camps anymore. Said he has done extensive homework on the school and the state and is completely comfortable making the verbal w/o being on campus. Said he will be making a trip here this summer.

Because he hasn't taken his official visits yet and to the best of my knowledge committed sight unseen. If he signs come February I would be more excited.

Translation: "I am butthurt that this plebe would lower himself to commit to your pathetic Gophers rather than be welcomed into the brotherhood of my mighty Huskers."

Translation: "I am butthurt that this plebe would lower himself to commit to your pathetic Gophers rather than be welcomed into the brotherhood of my mighty Huskers."

Oh Daniel, I am actually just stating the obvious that the odds are not good to keep a commitment from a kid who has never seen the school, regardless of the school. Add in the fact that the kid is a big Miami fan as well. I prefer to wait until a little closer to signing day and after he has taken his officials to get to excited. If he states that he will only take an official to Minnesota then that would be a positive sign.

Miami has 14 verbals already, 3 of which are defensive backs if that comforts anyone.

Oh Daniel, I am actually just stating the obvious that the odds are not good to keep a commitment from a kid who has never seen the school, regardless of the school. Add in the fact that the kid is a big Miami fan as well. I prefer to wait until a little closer to signing day and after he has taken his officials to get to excited. If he states that he will only take an official to Minnesota then that would be a positive sign.

I'm not sure how many times we need to see this exact same thing take place before people can acknowledge these sort of commits are 50/50 at best. I'm happy with defensive players and I'm happy with kids comitting early. Commiting to a team half way across the country without visiting the campus does raise some red flags though. Hope he sticks, but no use counting this chicken for quite awhile yet.

I'll have to admit I was excited when I saw the commitment on the ESPN news crawl while watching the college baseball playoffs. I don't think I've ever seen another Gopher commitment announced that way. To me, it means that Ross is on the national radar, which is always a good sign.

I would guess that Kill and company would have told him "don't commit unless you are certain." There's something about Kill's approach that tells me (and I could be dead wrong) we will see less changing of minds by recruits.

Cha-Ching!

Welcome to GOld Country Dinero!

this excites me for a variety of reasons: Florida Kid with decent offers, good size, good speed, early commit, addresses a area of need, great name!

I'll have to admit I was excited when I saw the commitment on the ESPN news crawl while watching the college baseball playoffs. I don't think I've ever seen another Gopher commitment announced that way. To me, it means that Ross is on the national radar, which is always a good sign.

I would guess that Kill and company would have told him "don't commit unless you are certain." There's something about Kill's approach that tells me (and I could be dead wrong) we will see less changing of minds by recruits.

I hope so 50. It was musical chairs at times during the Brewster era.

This raises a question regarding Coach Kills recruiting approach. Does he have a set policy similar to what Ferentz did by pulling an offer if a verbal visits other schools?

I think Brewster allowed it with maybe an exception or two. I know Mason did.

Top Bottom