Adam Rittenberg suggests 3 Gopher student section names

BleedGopher

Reaction score
MINNESOTA

Name: None

Suggestions

The Gold Mine: These are the Golden Gophers, after all, and it forms a nice connection with the basketball student section, the "Barnyard." While the Purdue women's basketball student section has the same name, this still could work.

Bank Yellers: TCF Bank Stadium is still relatively new, and this name would acknowledge the stadium and what student sections do best.

Kill Zone: An early shoutout to new coach Jerry Kill.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/27800/name-game-big-ten-student-sections

Go Gophers!!

How about the "Spank Bank" because we'll spank you're @ss! Hmmm...that might all get taken the wrong way.

why the neccessity for a cheesy name? I remember back in the 1970's, the balcony at William"s Arena during the Herb Brooks area absolutely rocked and there was no nickname. The students just prided themselves on being loud, imposing, inventive, and especially knowledgeable. There were even write-ups in various news outlets by the Associated Press ("When fans say Rah, it's far from Blah") about their antics, clever cheers, noise, and rubber pigs and chickens. Who could ever forget their cheer about one of the poor excuses of a referee, " A horse's tail is soft and silky, lift it up and you'll see Wilky."

If the students give it a nickname, it can have a nickname. Forcing one just won't work, it's the sort of tradition that most grow on its own if it is to live.

How about the reserve rate, because in bad times there is a lot less people in the bank.

So far I like 'Bank Yellers' the best. TCF should help($) promote it.

Updated blog from Rittenberg:

"Michael from Minneapolis: Adam, clearly the Gophers' student section will hereafter be known as 'Natural Born Killers'Tell me that isn't perfect?

Adam Rittenberg: That could work, Michael. Not sure how much the athletic department would like it, but to heck with them! As Jerry Kill said at his introductory news conference, coach Kill is a pretty good name for a football coach. While it might be premature to name the student section after a first-year coach, it's awfully tempting."

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/28020/your-suggestions-for-b1g-student-sections

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom