"Greedy Pryor beat NCAA at their own game"

Agree, the system is rigged. D1 college football is a billion dollar industry with the colleges/universities collectively making hundreds of millions. Universities make millions marketing individual players like Pryor, yet the players get cents on the dollar in the form of a full ride scholarship that isn't actually a full ride. Why? Because they are "student" athletes.

Thanks Panther in Pitt, good article. I didn't realize they could get pell grants. Not a bad summer job in itself.

so let me get this straight---if tOSU had paid TP (proposed by many) in addition to giving him a full ride, who in his right mind would think that this would convince him not to sell his "good" name on everything from sport jerseys to calendars for $500 to $1000 a week, free use of cars and other services from boosters. Are you kidding me? The innapropriate actions on the part of TP and others would IMHO continue.

so let me get this straight---if tOSU had paid TP (proposed by many) in addition to giving him a full ride, who in his right mind would think that this would convince him not to sell his "good" name on everything from sport jerseys to calendars for $500 to $1000 a week, free use of cars and other services from boosters. Are you kidding me? The innapropriate actions on the part of TP and others would IMHO continue.

Some people just love to play the victim or, failing that, label somebody else a victim so they can whine about it. There are a ton of kids who would love to be good enough to pay for school and walk on. The "pay the athletes" crowd have no appreciation at all for what these guys are given, and they are making an incredible leap in logic by trying to connect cheating and not paying the athletes.

I don't care how much you pay me. If I could get away with making an extra $40,000/year by signing stuff four times a week, I'm going to do it.

Also, I'm a gopher fan because I went to school there, not because we have certain players. It's about the institution, not the current batch of guys playing.

If proven to be accurate and true, I agree TP would choose to do what he did regardless. That still doesn't excuse the NCAA and Universities for their unethical behavior and exploitation of these athletes.

I should also mention; it should be his name to sell. After all it is his name? This is America...right? Also he didn't get a full ride.....nobody in college football does.

Some people just love to play the victim or, failing that, label somebody else a victim so they can whine about it. There are a ton of kids who would love to be good enough to pay for school and walk on. The "pay the athletes" crowd have no appreciation at all for what these guys are given, and they are making an incredible leap in logic by trying to connect cheating and not paying the athletes.

I don't care how much you pay me. If I could get away with making an extra $40,000/year by signing stuff four times a week, I'm going to do it.

Also, I'm a gopher fan because I went to school there, not because we have certain players. It's about the institution, not the current batch of guys playing.

I have no appreciation what these guys are given? Huh?.....Ok. Anyway, there is always somebody that has no idea of what they are talking about quick to label someone who knows a hell of alot more than them.

My man, I don't play the part of anyones "victim." I pay the cost to be the boss. I don't condone TP's cheating. Wrong is wrong. But I'm also not going to pretend like all is right...it isn't. Some of these players are mimicking the system....taking advantage of what they can. The system is unethical...naturally some of the players will follow suit.

"Also, I'm a gopher fan because I went to school there, not because we have certain players. It's about the institution, not the current batch of guys playing"

How in hell is this relevant to the topic? Oh, I get it. This was your lame attempt at a put down. For me and anyone else in my position it most certainly is ALL about the current batch of players, whats your point? I was posting here prior to this BATCH of players and I will be posting here after this BATCH of players. Not that any of this has anything to do with the topic.

Institution wise? Personally, I'm an NDSU fan....go Bison.

I saw Warren Buffet and Bill Gates on t.v. and they said that neither of them legally paid any taxes and that was evidence as to how screwed up the tax system is. Does this mean it is o.k. for me to cheat on my taxes?

I love the people who "defend" TP "right" to grab as much cash as he can...

He's just doing what the schools do...so, by this logic, I should sell company secrets because the company makes Millions and the Industry, Billions and my efforts lead, in some large part, to these profits?
I am the one that agreed to work for four years for around $50,000 per in benefits, with the chance to make Millions, if I showed enough ability, but I decided that it wasn't enough.
I guess ethics, self respect, and, frankly, class be damned! Show me the money, f@*k everybody else if I can get mine!

I saw Warren Buffet and Bill Gates on t.v. and they said that neither of them legally paid any taxes and that was evidence as to how screwed up the tax system is. Does this mean it is o.k. for me to cheat on my taxes?

Nope and more importantly it doesn't mean the system can't be fixed.

He's just doing what the schools do...so, by this logic, I should sell company secrets because the company makes Millions and the Industry, Billions and my efforts lead, in some large part, to these profits?
I am the one that agreed to work for four years for around $50,000 per in benefits, with the chance to make Millions, if I showed enough ability, but I decided that it wasn't enough.
I guess ethics, self respect, and, frankly, class be damned! Show me the money, f@*k everybody else if I can get mine!

I agree with you, TP's behavior can not be justified. I'm just saying that the ethics, self respect and class you speak of should be spread around. Right now it's the NCAA and Colleges that in your words are saying "class be damned! Show me the money, f@*k everbody else (the players) if I can get mine!

I agree with you, TP's behavior can not be justified. I'm just saying that the ethics, self respect and class you speak of should be spread around. Right now it's the NCAA and Colleges that in your words are saying "class be damned! Show me the money, f@*k everbody else (the players) if I can get mine!

Yep, the University (or most companies I could work for) own all intellectual property I develop while working for them. If my work results in a $2 MM grant or a $5 MM in licensing fees, I still get paid my same modest stipend. It's not exploitative at all; they are the ones who put up the money to buy all the facilities, instruments, and materials I need to do my job; it's way more than any one person could afford. My gig does not exist without their considerable investments; they need me to do research to bring in money and maintain the reputation of the department and the University. They also pay for my tuition. In return for my time and work, I get valuable experience and some more letters next to my name that will help me make ~40% more money when I leave. If I don't like it, I can quit at any time and go do something else.

If you feel exploited, you don't have to do it. Tons of kids who played HS sports would give their left nut to be exploited the way DI football players are, and they'd give both to have a scholarship thrown in. Tons of kids would love to have no debt when they graduate with a degree from a great University. When you are getting what most people consider a great deal, there are a crap load of kids who would trade spots with you in a heartbeat, and your alternative is paying for college yourself or working a crap job, your negotiating power is essentially zero. I really want to see the whiners go tell the walk-ons how terrible it is to be a scholarship athlete.

Great deal? Compared to students who have to pay their own tuition, sure. Compared to coaches, schools who make tens of millions...not so much.

Schools pay the medical bills incurred beyond insurance? It's great deal if you have NO medical insurance. If you have medical insurance, not so much. A few co-pays and that's about it. And of course the author forgot to mention that the school is off the financial hook for any medical problems you take with you the rest of your life for injuries that occured while you were playing for the school. Again, not complaining but don't misrepresent this to the readers.

The article also doesn't take into acount several factors. Not all players receive scholarships. Everyone that meets the financial criteria be it student athlete are not, is eligible for a pell grant.

Funny.... the author didn't include that If you asked any college professor if they would trade their compensation for that of the football or basketball coach they most surely would say "hell yeah."

It's only a strong pay structure when you don't include the amount of money being generated versus the amount of money being distributed to the folks that create it.

To be clear, my position is not that players should be paid. My position is that the full ride scholarships players receive should actually be full rides. Room and board, money for a pizza or to purchase toilet paper to wipe their arse. Players shouldn't have to wait for someone to die to get a ride home. They should receive several tickets home per year, regardless of financial situation.

Pell grants? That's stupid, that's like an employer telling an employee "I'm not going to give you a raise because you can go get food stamps to pay for your food" Colleges make millions off of football and basketball. State colleges get millions more from tax payors. Should they expect the tax payors to fork over more money through federal grants while pocketing all of the revenue generated and keeping players/students below the poverty line? Well this is exactly what happens now. Football and basketball players should be prohibted from pell grants; let the school fork over the money from revenues generated from those sports.

Sorry, but this is a deal they accept.

Great deal? Compared to students who have to pay their own tuition, sure. Compared to coaches, schools who make tens of millions...not so much.

Schools pay the medical bills incurred beyond insurance? It's great deal if you have NO medical insurance. If you have medical insurance, not so much. A few co-pays and that's about it. And of course the author forgot to mention that the school is off the financial hook for any medical problems you take with you the rest of your life for injuries that occured while you were playing for the school. Again, not complaining but don't misrepresent this to the readers.

The article also doesn't take into acount several factors. Not all players receive scholarships. Everyone that meets the financial criteria be it student athlete are not, is eligible for a pell grant.

Funny.... the author didn't include that If you asked any college professor if they would trade their compensation for that of the football or basketball coach they most surely would say "hell yeah."

It's only a strong pay structure when you don't include the amount of money being generated versus the amount of money being distributed to the folks that create it.

To be clear, my position is not that players should be paid. My position is that the full ride scholarships players receive should actually be full rides. Room and board, money for a pizza or to purchase toilet paper to wipe their arse. Players shouldn't have to wait for someone to die to get a ride home. They should receive several tickets home per year, regardless of financial situation.

Pell grants? That's stupid, that's like an employer telling an employee "I'm not going to give you a raise because you can go get food stamps to pay for your food" Colleges make millions off of football and basketball. State colleges get millions more from tax payors. Should they expect the tax payors to fork over more money through federal grants while pocketing all of the revenue generated and keeping players/students below the poverty line? Well this is exactly what happens now. Football and basketball players should be prohibted from pell grants; let the school fork over the money from revenues generated from those sports.
Nobody put a gun to their heads. All they ask is for you to accept a set of rules. If the kids don't want to take it, they don't have too. I went to school with several guys who turned down schollys to walk on because they had other ways to pay for school.

Perhaps Division I needs to drop scholarships and field...

only kids who want to play, pay their own tuition in addition to playing, and really be college students. Kind of like Division III.

The way everyone here can clearly see that the student athletes are corrupt...the college coaches are corrupt, the institutions themselves are corrupt and are taking advantage of the student athletes so, obviously, it is only natural that the student athletes should return the favor and out corrupt the corrupt coaches and institutions...and on and on and on it goes.

The more I think about it, perhaps the BEST solution would be to totally END all athletic scholarships at the Division I & II levels and to go to a system like Division III.

People, NCAA Division I football and basketball has become a disaster. Based upon this thread, NOBODY is happy with it. It is TOTALLY corrupt. What is the point in going on?

How do you keep the college prexy's from viewing the cash cow that football and basketball has become on the Division I level? Why on earth should college coaches be signing multi-million dollar long-term contracts that have to be bought out to be ended????? Why should it be on the backs of football and men's basketball programs to pay for ALL the other sports????? WHY should super conferences be able to sign huge tv contracts to sell the games????? Big Ten schools will soon be getting cut checks for 30 million plus just to "show up" for a made for tv game 12 times a year in football. Indiana gets the same as Ohio State. Ohio State is at the top of the conference and CHEATS like mad.

SOME players really don't give a crap IF they ever get a degree. They have been so hyped and entitled and advanced through every system they have ever been a part of because of their athletic skills. Why shouldn't the nfl have to start their own farm systems to get these players ready and to wash out the pretenders from the contenders on their own bucks rather than merely relying on colleges to give these nfl candidates scholarships and forcing them to go to classes they really don't give a rip about.

It is a JOKE. It is a charade. Some people are pi##ed at the colleges for not giving the kids playing a game more perks, bennies, money and license to be as corrupt as they want to be.

How can the NCAA be defended????? How can the college prexys be defended????? How can the multi-million dollar coaches be defended????? How can the players who corrupt themselves and the already corrupt systems even more be defended??????

This is truely a LOST cause, it would appear based upon this thread. Why, may I ask, would any of YOU who all have so many complaints about the system, the coaches, the institutions and the players defend the existence of NCAA Division I College Football or basketball. Based upon what I am reading in this thread, the whole situation sucks pretty badly. Do you people really even want NCAA Football on the Division I level to continue???? WHY would you say it should be saved from itself. It truely sounds like a cesspool based upon the way all of you describe it.

Would...COULD any of you defend the continued existence of athletic scholarship driven NCAA Division I College Football? It sounds to me like everyone here thinks it is a real disaster. Why should it not be abandoned and the entire idea of athletic scholarships be abandoned. MAYBE taking all the money out of college sports might be a REALLY good thing in the long run. The athletic arms race may have gone too far already. Maybe it needs to be taken apart...

; 0 )

Can you show me where either one of them said they cheated on taxes? They game the system in a manner that allows them to pay no taxes (however, Berkshire pays an enormous amount compared to other large companies). If any reader on here wants to learn how to game the system in regards to receiving Social Security Benefits, I can point you to a nicely laid out piece by Principal to help you with those decisions.

wren

only kids who want to play, pay their own tuition in addition to playing, and really be college students. Kind of like Division III.

The way everyone here can clearly see that the student athletes are corrupt...the college coaches are corrupt, the institutions themselves are corrupt and are taking advantage of the student athletes so, obviously, it is only natural that the student athletes should return the favor and out corrupt the corrupt coaches and institutions...and on and on and on it goes.

The more I think about it, perhaps the BEST solution would be to totally END all athletic scholarships at the Division I & II levels and to go to a system like Division III.

People, NCAA Division I football and basketball has become a disaster. Based upon this thread, NOBODY is happy with it. It is TOTALLY corrupt. What is the point in going on?

How do you keep the college prexy's from viewing the cash cow that football and basketball has become on the Division I level? Why on earth should college coaches be signing multi-million dollar long-term contracts that have to be bought out to be ended????? Why should it be on the backs of football and men's basketball programs to pay for ALL the other sports????? WHY should super conferences be able to sign huge tv contracts to sell the games????? Big Ten schools will soon be getting cut checks for 30 million plus just to "show up" for a made for tv game 12 times a year in football. Indiana gets the same as Ohio State. Ohio State is at the top of the conference and CHEATS like mad.

SOME players really don't give a crap IF they ever get a degree. They have been so hyped and entitled and advanced through every system they have ever been a part of because of their athletic skills. Why shouldn't the nfl have to start their own farm systems to get these players ready and to wash out the pretenders from the contenders on their own bucks rather than merely relying on colleges to give these nfl candidates scholarships and forcing them to go to classes they really don't give a rip about.

It is a JOKE. It is a charade. Some people are pi##ed at the colleges for not giving the kids playing a game more perks, bennies, money and license to be as corrupt as they want to be.

How can the NCAA be defended????? How can the college prexys be defended????? How can the multi-million dollar coaches be defended????? How can the players who corrupt themselves and the already corrupt systems even more be defended??????

This is truely a LOST cause, it would appear based upon this thread. Why, may I ask, would any of YOU who all have so many complaints about the system, the coaches, the institutions and the players defend the existence of NCAA Division I College Football or basketball. Based upon what I am reading in this thread, the whole situation sucks pretty badly. Do you people really even want NCAA Football on the Division I level to continue???? WHY would you say it should be saved from itself. It truely sounds like a cesspool based upon the way all of you describe it.

Would...COULD any of you defend the continued existence of athletic scholarship driven NCAA Division I College Football? It sounds to me like everyone here thinks it is a real disaster. Why should it not be abandoned and the entire idea of athletic scholarships be abandoned. MAYBE taking all the money out of college sports might be a REALLY good thing in the long run. The athletic arms race may have gone too far already. Maybe it needs to be taken apart...

; 0 )

I can tell that you have never really had to implement anything in your life. First clue is that it is not done by ranting and raving. If you were truly interested in changing something you need to find a practical solution. If you are not going to do that, then you need to quite wasting our time with your babble. All this wing flapping of yours, or should I say lip flapping, might make you feel better but it is worthless.

I can tell that you have never really had to implement anything in your life. First clue is that it is not done by ranting and raving. If you were truly interested in changing something you need to find a practical solution. If you are not going to do that, then you need to quite wasting our time with your babble. All this wing flapping of yours, or should I say lip flapping, might make you feel better but it is worthless.

You missed the eye wink in the corner:)

; 0 )

I had to read it twice before I got it....well done.

I agree, I don't believe the system needs a complete overall either. Just some very minor tweeking. The focus shouldn't be on paying student athletes, almost nobody wants that. In my opinion it would ruin college sports. I just think they should reevaluate scholarships in revenue sports and.....enhance them to include transportation home, a small ($50 a week?) stipend for toiletries, recreation, ect.

Sportsfan24: I'd have to say that you really do "get"...

the complexity of the situation that the revenue sports do face in NCAA sports. Surely, there are LOTS of reasons why we all love college football and basketball and hockey. Things are different for these sports that actually do produce the revenues that allow all of the non-revenue and Title IX sports to pay their bills and allow AD's to balance their budgets. The incredibly lucrative tv contracts that the Big Ten Network negotiates and the streams of revenues from game day receipts from Football, Men's Basketball and Men's Hockey allow these 25 athletic department sponsored NCAA sports to exist.

And, by the very nature of the revenue sports: they ARE the flag-ship sports programs. They create MORE pressure, generate MORE public pleasure and displeasure and drive the sales of tickets, team apparel, contributions and do become the very face of that university. The coaches of those sports are under much more pressure. The athletes on those revenue producing teams are under more pressure than members of the Title IX and non-revenue sports team. It is a WHOLE different ball game.

I get incredibly upset when our ad attempts to paint all the sports programs at the U of M with a broad-brush generalized approach. When he tries to pretend that each and every one of these sports are cut from the same cookie cutter. Yes, I VALUE the efforts of all these kids on all of these teams...but...the revenue sports carry MUCH more load than the non-revenue/Title IX ssports do. The revenue sports players in the public eye, fishbowl, if you will, They have to be "ON" all the time. They feel the wrath of the fans if things don't go well. They are singled out by the media and are lambasted on these sports blogs. The non-revenue/Title IX sports scholarship winners don't get as much praise for their full ride, but they also do NOT have to pay as heavy a price. If they win...that's good. If they lose...that's ok too. The revenue sports programs, coaches and players are asked to do MUCH MORE for their college/university than the programs, coaches and athletes of the non-revenue and Title IX sports. Believe me, I have NOTHING against the non-revenue and Title IX sports and I try to follow some of them when ever possible. But, they do NOT have the same standards of pressure applied to them. They do NOT receive the criticism. They are NOT depended upon to produce the revenue that keeps it all working. They are NOT exposed to the publicity, the boosters or media attention/criticism that the great kids playing on our revenue producing teams are.

The Title IX and non-revenue producing coaches and players also don't carry the reputation of the University of Minnesota on their backs the way the revenue producing athletes do. (Most people around the state don't follow the Title Ix and non-revenue sports team even casually.) Whether people at the Unviersity of Minnesota, across the state or on this board want to believe it or not, the perception of the University of Minnesota NATIONALLY, REGIONALLY and LOCALLY is probably much more dependent upon the in conference success and the place of the conference standings of the revenue sports teams than on the reputation and ranking of ANY academic department at the University of Minnesota. More people know if the football team is in last place in the Big Ten or towards the bottom than know the rankings of the arts, sciences and the research departments.

The revenue producing sports programs at the University are FAR more important to the University of Minnesota than the administrators at the Uninversity of Minnesota have given these programs credit for AND resources for. I was 13 years old when the Gophers last won a National Championship in football. I was 20 years old when the Gophers last won (tied for) a Big Ten Championship in football. I turned 64 day before yesterday. I have seen lots of great players at the University of Minnesota. It is NOT their fault. I have seen some very good football coaches at the University of Minnesota. It is not all their fault. I blame the administrators for not supporting these revenue driving sports programs. All the major success that I saw the Football Program had happened by the time I was 20. It has been NOT acceptable since then. I blame the administrations at the U of M TOTALLY for that 44 year period of accepting less than competetive results.

And, today, in the year 2011: the NCAA NEEDS to come to grips with the IMPORTANCE of the revenue producing sports problems. Not all Programs can be top programs every year. When there are a few programs that rule the roost for 25 years at a time, there just may be some problems with the system, with the boosters of that program, with the culture at that university and within the conference structures that university belongs to...the mores and the conference patterns of recruiting regulations, academic standards and the problems that occur when the fanbase of a school takes on an "anything and everything to win" attitude. IS that conference tolerating MORE from the football powers because they need a couple of programs to ALWAYS be toward the top of the national rankings to sell their product to television and advertisers????? The Big Ten needs to take an HONEST look at this. So do some of the other major conferences.

Yet, the athletic director at the Unviersity of Minnesota can NOT claim that all 25 of the sports he oversees are equal in importance. The athletic director needs to realize that it is his job to insure that the revenue sports programs are COMPETING within the Big Ten Conference and it is his job to get that done within the rules of the system and the conference. IF the revenue programs are CONSTANTLY in the bottom third of the conference it is UP TO the athletic director AND the prexy of the University of Minnesota to make those revenue producing programs COMPETETIVE.

Sportsfan24, you are one of the people around here who really does understand the scope and the nature of the problems our athletes, coaches and programs are facing. I always read your comments, and you give me much food for thought. We are very fortunate to have you here and contributing to this board. Now, please don't let the ba$tards get you down IF they try to criticize you because I agreed with you and sent you a positive message about the good insights that you provide. Believe it or not, there are a lot more than a few people around here who actually don't appreciate me and my observations....Hard to believe, isn't it? ; 0 (In all honesty, probably make that 95% of the people around here.) But, such is life. I've got to say what I think and talk about what I see and have seen over the past half-century plus. In the end, we each get a few decades to gather our thoughts and express them, if we are lucky and it is always best to be truthful, honest and call it like you see it! So, my apologies if anyone gives you grief because of my response to your posting here. One thing I have observed about you: you will represent yourself very well!

And, thanks for being able to catch my "wink" signal. I do have a lot of fun around here! Always!

Let's hope for an exciting and fun and successful football season!

Here's the question I have about "paying" D1 athletes (whether you call it a stipend, or include it as part of the scholarship - I don't want to get into an argument about semantics).

Who gets paid - only the revenue-producing sports? Or all athletes on scholarship? Do athletes on a full-ride get more than an athlete (like Baseball) on a partial scholarship.? If you're going to "pay" FB players - but not volleyball players - there could be legal or Title 9 implications.

I understand the argument for providing a small amount of spending money, especially for kids from less-than-ideal home situations. In fact, if you're going to provide this stipend, I would make it needs-based, depending on family income. If the net family income is below a certain point, then kick in the extra spending money.

But, I also agree with "Badger Joel Macturi" to some extent - a kid on a full-ride scholarship is receiving a very valuable financial package. Also, even a small stipend, when multiplied over the whole program, will mean a significant increased cost to the program.

Bottom line - unless the stipend is fairly sizeable, a player who's tempted to cheat is probably still going to be tempted to cheat.

Top Bottom