state of team progress?

melbo

Reaction score
imo all of the players seem to make progress in their game roles and then seem to take a step back the next game. This is all part of the rebuilding process I believe and in general am very happy with the stage they are in development. I am wondering what thoughts others might have. GO GOPHERS!

I would agree about the individual growth of the players. I had thought that Tubby might have a little stronger starting 5 put together. We're better overall but i don't think any 5 guys we put out there are much better than when the year began. I'm expecting that to change soon.

I have followed Tubby for some time now and I doubt that we will see a true starting five on a regular basis. Just my opinion,I think he believes that his second five are as important as the starters in building a deep team that can wear other teams down in the final few minutes to win the game and to have the type of team that can go deep in the tournament. I agree and am also expecting change soon. I feel like they are ready to put it all together and play great every game all game all.

Melbo, you hit it right on the money...Tubby has a plan. And his plan is to do what he can for the present, with GREAT things in the plans for the future. As the song goes..."Happy Days Are Here Again.........." Today and the Future.

Dr Don -- you are positive and that's great, but do you have a 'level' of play or victory total that would disappoint you?

My opinion: Tubby is coaching this year with more than just an eye on next year. With only two seniors, we lose very little. Tubby is a teacher and is focused on developing players, winning wherever we can and however we can this year. Whatever we do this year is terms of post season is gravy. Next year the expectations begin to shift.

I totally agree moonlight. Tubby is developing this team. That is job 1 for him. Victories are secondary. And we should keep that in mind when judging this team. I think though, when wondering about the here and now, it'll take a stronger 5 to beat a good team. Not that he should coach for that end, just saying it's a weakness now.

freshtrout, you asked:

Dr Don -- you are positive and that's great, but do you have a 'level' of play or victory total that would disappoint you?

I will try answer this way.

Tubby is working with a young group of human beings, these kids are not programmed machines. As humans, the youngsters (all college level players), are going to make mistakes and errors. As long as the team, whichever 5 are on the floor at a given time, show effort, enthusiasm, hustle, desire, hunger, and various other terms I could continue with, the number of wins will take care of itself. I just admire the overall efforts of Tubby and HIS TEAM. I just truly admire ALL Gopher teams, both on the men's side and the women's side. As a result, I sometimes am overly optomistic, because I BELIEVE!!! Thank you for asking.

Victories Secondary?

While I believe Tubby has a plan, and a clear vision for the future, I don't think he is in any way sacrificing victories now to prepare for next year. D-1 coaches of Tubby's stature never have victory as secondary.

No but I think you sacrifice minutes for development reasons. you never coach to lose, but you do coach to improve. I don't think it's a far stretch to believe that if any of these games were a chanpionship game he would play certain players more and certain ones less. So i do believe that he sacrifices a bit for the sake of development. I think that's a mark of a great coach, not a weakness.

does he ever go into a game thinking he's going to lose because he's giving minutes for the sake of development? No, I don't think he does. I think he fully expects to be able to accomplish both.

Top Bottom