New Commit!! RCTC WR Isaac Fruechte Talks About Gopher Commitment - Monter Q&A

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Isaac Fruechte, a 6-foot-3, 202-pound sophomore wide receiver from Rochester Community and Technicial College, has committed to Minnesota. Fruechte, who attended the Minnesota spring game, had considered being a preferred walk-on at Minnesota out of high school from Caledonia before going the JC route. GopherHole.com caught up with Fruechte this afternoon to learn the latest on his decision.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1412

Nice interview Chris. I thought this was interesting:

GH: You are going to skip the upcoming season at Rochester and graduate in December. How tough of a decision was to not play this year or did you just decide that by not playing you will have three years of eligibility at Minnesota?

IF: I had told Coach Kill and Coach LaPlainte at RCTC that was my thinking when we had talked scholarship stuff. They thought that it was a great idea, so I can get three years up there.

That seems like a very logical decision by Isaac and it gives him three years at the U which is great.

Go Gophers!!

so is he in this year's recruiting class or is he a late signee to last years?

He'll be at the next spring practice and ready for the fall of 2012 coming in injury free. Adding 15 pounds makes me hope for a very fast version of Decker. That would be so sweet.

Welcome aboard! A faster Decker would be beyond belief. I just want someone who can catch the ball and do something with it.

So i'm a little confused, are they saying that he will have three years of eligibility left or are they saying he has three years like he will be able to practice early (like Marcus Jones this year)?

The kid looks good, i've heard people say he was legit in HS and he is a position of need.

I also like to have kids that really want to be here.

Welcome aboard Isaac!

- - I also wonder how many more WRs we are going to be looking at adding, especially if Engel decides to walk on at the U as well (like it was rumored). If we added Engel, Fruechte and McDonald to go along with a decent group last year (D. Crawford-Tufts, Jones, Gardiner and even Trucilla)....I wouldn't be shocked if we were done looking at WRs (aside from absolute studs).

So i'm a little confused, are they saying that he will have three years of eligibility left or are they saying he has three years like he will be able to practice early (like Marcus Jones this year)?

The kid looks good, i've heard people say he was legit in HS and he is a position of need.

I also like to have kids that really want to be here.

Welcome aboard Isaac!

- - I also wonder how many more WRs we are going to be looking at adding, especially if Engel decides to walk on at the U as well (like it was rumored). If we added Engel, Fruechte and McDonald to go along with a decent group last year (D. Crawford-Tufts, Jones, Gardiner and even Trucilla)....I wouldn't be shocked if we were done looking at WRs (aside from absolute studs).

I'll predict we land Harbison and then I'd also love to land a guy like Maurice Fleming or Jehu Chesson. The WR position is in dire need of a talent infusion in my opinion, transfers, position changes, and injuries have really hampered the unit. I'd rather not bet on walk-ons to bolster the unit. This is a great opportunity for Kill to get out after some higher end wrs by selling playing time.

You make good points btown, but I think we will be done at the WR if we land 1 more Wr.

That will be Harris, Jones, DCT, Gardener, McDonald, Fruechte, and Harbison on scholly while we would be adding high quality walk ons (trucilla and engel) as well from the last two recruiting classes. It's not that I don't think we need more WRs, we just might not have the number of scholarships to add more than 1 more.

We still need to add:
a RB, DT, DE, 3 DBs, 2 OL and an HBack...at a minimum.

There really isn't a ton of room for the WR position to have more than 3 scholarships, IMO. Especially when we are also thin at DB, where we probably need more like 4-5 guys. We also should probably add more than 1 DT as it's a position we neglected last season.

I don't know, it's a tough call.

Along with that we do not know about academic casualties...Kill may be the right hire at the time, but it is an uphill battle player wise...WR is definitely the most dire position in need and more depth at DT and DBs would be priorities. I am not quite so sure about OL though...

So is he enrolling this fall and red-shirting? I couldn't pick that up from the article. I thought if a kid went the JC route, he had to have his Associate of Arts Degree before he could accept a scholarship.

I thought if a kid went the JC route, he had to have his Associate of Arts Degree before he could accept a scholarship.

Only if he was not a full qualifier out of HS. The AA is a proxy for not having the right numbers coming out of HS. A full qualifier doesn't need his AA degree - he can enroll right away. Some full qualifiers go the JC route when they don't get a DI offer because they can transfer up to DI right away without having to sit out a year, which they would have to do if they went DII.

RCTC is a Division III community college. Not excited. Sorry.

Weis...

I think it's important to keep in mind that Kill is really only offering guys that he REALLY likes. I don't know much about Fruechte except that I know that Kill must really like him to offer him that early. It sounded like the recruiting was going to heat up for him as well.

Along with that we do not know about academic casualties...Kill may be the right hire at the time, but it is an uphill battle player wise...WR is definitely the most dire position in need and more depth at DT and DBs would be priorities. I am not quite so sure about OL though...

I think this class will focus pretty much on OT type prospects. We signed a lot of guys last season but they were, majority, interior line type prospects. I don't think we'll have anywhere near the number as last year, but i'd be pretty surprised if we didn't sign 2-3 OT types.

You unexcited by something? I am SHOCKED...

Haha. I know. I have actually been pretty impressed with Kill's recruiting (not that it matters), but since I haven't seen this kid play, I go by his offers and competition -- both of which aren't eye-popping. I hope he does well, but aside from Lloyd (kicker), name one player in Gophers history who has made a serious impact from Rochester CC.

Haha. I know. I have actually been pretty impressed with Kill's recruiting (not that it matters), but since I haven't seen this kid play, I go by his offers and competition -- both of which aren't eye-popping. I hope he does well, but aside from Lloyd (kicker), name one player in Gophers history who has made a serious impact from Rochester CC.

Antoine Burns was alright. I dunno what other players we've landed from there.

In recent history the Gophers have brought two scholarship players onto their squad from RCTC-Rhys Lloyd and Antoine Burns. I'd say they're two for two going that route. If Fruechte produces similarly to Burns for the Gophers, it'll be a scholarship well spent.

At the end of last season, Burns was ranked #21 on the all-time Gopher receiving (total yards) at 1006 total yards. In 2001, he was 2nd on the team in receiving with 30 receptions, 477 yards, 3 td's and a 15.7 yards per catch average.

He also returned some kicks and averaged about 20.5 yards per return.

He played in the NFL at Seattle in 2003 and at Carolina in 2004 & 2005.

Fruechte is a bit different than other JuCo kids to me.

Grades are not an issue here because he is already a qualifier. We get three years out of the kid and he was close to already being part of team until our WR coach at the time left (I can't remember his name).

As far as his recruiting has gone, it's hard to say. It's a bit of a strange time to be recruiting a JuCo kid like Fruechte. I'd imagine with the kind of interest he was getting and the mere fact that Kill offerred him early, he might be pretty good.

Will Brandon Green be a Senior eligibility or did he get a medical red shirt last year and have two years left.

confused

Hey, I was looking for a little clarity here, wont Isaac technically be a redshirt sophomore? Scout has him listed with Maxx, Andre, and Phillip as a 2012 recruit... but they are going to be freshmen...Im a little confused as to why they are listed in the same recruiting class?

Hey, I was looking for a little clarity here, wont Isaac technically be a redshirt sophomore? Scout has him listed with Maxx, Andre, and Phillip as a 2012 recruit... but they are going to be freshmen...Im a little confused as to why they are listed in the same recruiting class?

He will be a junior college transfer and will be part of the 2012 class. Technically his class status won't be determined until he actually registers. Since he is planning to sit out this coming fall, his red shirt year will be this fall. I am not certain if this will be at Rochester but it sounded like this probably will be the case. Therefore when he begins his football career with the Gophers in the fall of 2012 he will have three years to play three years.

Yep, it's kind of like how GeShun Harris is a member of our 2011 recruiting class but he is JR.

is there grade issues as reported so he need to go to RCTC to complete so he can transfer here. If not why wouldn't he just come in the fall and use the whole year as his redshirt year and not only for spring ?

I just read over at fringebowlteamblog.com that his math score out of high school didn't qualify...and thank you for the response killjoy

According to Facebook (first item on google search) his favorite team is "Clemson Football".

That makes sense.

Top Bottom