media would rip brew for kill's comment

Go4

Reaction score
i just watched the video that gsports put up on youtube of kill in owatanna today. at the end of the speech he told the crowd that when they go to games they are helping save lives, because the game of football has saved some kids' lives. love the idea of kill, but i'll be honest, i also loved the idea of brew.

i just watched the video that gsports put up on youtube of kill in owatanna today. at the end of the speech he told the crowd that when they go to games they are helping save lives, because the game of football has saved some kids' lives. love the idea of kill, but i'll be honest, i also loved the idea of brew.

Yeah, well, there's a lot of difference between Kill's sincerity and Brew's salesmanship approach. I didn't especially agree with the way the media took after Brew. They treated him like he was a used car salesman, and that is the antithesis of sincerity.

Brew would have got away with it his first couple years but after that people were sick of his schick. Kill hasn't done that to people yet so I think he'll be okay. I'm sure he is right in some capacity.

Brew would have got away with it his first couple years but after that people were sick of his schick. Kill hasn't done that to people yet so I think he'll be okay. I'm sure he is right in some capacity.

brew hadn't been the coach for 24 hours before pat r wrote column calling him a blowhard.

Brewster is gone. I have moved on. In fact everybody should move on.

Herp a derp derp derp.

What was this thread about again? I agree with 4four4.

brew hadn't been the coach for 24 hours before pat r wrote column calling him a blowhard.

Some people are better judges of character than others.

Kill is a walking gimmick. And while I don't necessarily think it is a bad thing, I do find it hilarious how people refuse to admit this simple fact.

Jerry Kill does like to precede a statement with 'i'll be real honest with you' often enough that it is rippable. I give it no nevermeind and say just win.

So because he was not a good head coach that makes him a bad guy? Who are you to make a comment like that?

+1. I'd expect a comment like that from Wren or Art Vandelay, but not from you, GL.

The whole Tressel affair should be proof positive that every one of the guys standing on a major college sideline as the head coach is at least half full of donkey dung. Everyone one has their own way of styling it, but they all do it.

Some people are better judges of character than others.

While I obviously respect your opinions and thoughts, NB, let's not get carried away in this case.

Reusse made an educated guess, one that was significantly fortified by the fact that Brewster had never been a head coach before. I wouldn't exactly call him Nostradamus for that. He wasn't alone in his opinions either.

I know this is nitpicking also but I would take issue with the phrase "judge of character" in this case. Few people have raised issue with Brewster's character, work ethic, etc. He was just ill-prepared for the job.

All major college coaches have a degree of Used Car Salesman in them. Kill and Tubby have much lower %'s than Brew, but it doesn't mean they have none.

Kill and sales

It has been my experience that the best salespeople are the ones who can sell you something and you don't even realize you are being sold. Kill has nearly mastered this skill. You can tell he's a good salesman because every article starts by saying he's not a salesman.

Did you see Brewster's press conference? Reusse turned out to be 100% correct about the guy, how can you have a problem with what a columnist wrote that was accurate?

Kill is a walking gimmick. And while I don't necessarily think it is a bad thing, I do find it hilarious how people refuse to admit this simple fact.

I agree to a point, he definitely has already shown he'll utilize some gimmicks and motivational tools to get his players to do what he wants them to do. Nothing wrong with that in the least, though I wouldn't call him a "walking gimmick" LOL.

Being a "salesman" isn't a bad thing to me, I would expect any decent head coach to do a bit of selling of their program (part of my beef with Mason a little bit in his later years), give us a snippet of what we have to look forward to. I don't know why we have to go all out negative on doing things like that because the last coach we had proved to lack the ability to coach. Those are two different qualities. Brewster did one really, really well, lacked in the coaching part. Kill also seems to do a really good job at selling, now let's hope he can also coach at this level as well as he has over his entire career.

On the OP, there are a lot of things Brew got ripped on that Kill won't, simply because he has experience on his side, something Brew didn't have. You can say and do more things when you have a track record that Kill has, simple as that.

dopodoll,

You can not change the way people feel about brewster. He was exactly what his Big Ten record says he was. Did he work hard? What has that got to do with anything???? Did he work smart? Perhaps THAT is more important. Was he EFFECTIVE???? In Big Ten play, how often did he win and how often did he lose?

He apparently really turned you on dopodoll. Well, that's really nice for you, I guess. But, he pretty much totally turned me off to Golden Gopher Football...and I have been a Gopher Football Fan for OVER half a century. The ONLY good thing about brewster I can say is that he is FINALLY gone. I don't hold him responsible though. I hold prexy b and bjm responsible for the worst 4 year period of Gopher Football I have lived through. It is the ONLY 4 year period that I can honestly say that the administrators made me resent them each year when I made payment for my season tickets. Had brewball gone on much longer, I KNOW I would have finally bailed on Gopher Football forever. And I LOVE Golden Gopher Football. The brewster/bjm/prexy b era of Gopher Football is a situation that I somehow managed to hold my nose and get through. The kids on the team were just fine. They weren't adequately led and coached and administered to though. With the constant changing of coaches and coordinators, the kids on the team were put to the most distress and poor treatment by the lack of effort in providing adequate coaching and leadership by prexy b and badger joel macturi. I hold those two personally responsible for the absolute rip off of my season ticket payments and scholarship donations. The last couple years of brewball I DID bail on the concept of donating any money to the scholarship funds. It is going to take some really EXCELLENT administrative leadership from the new prexy and the new AD to get me to start making scholarship contributions. With the millions and millions of dollars macturi and prexy b threw away with the buyouts and consequent hiring of the incompetent brewster as the football coach when they were paying over two million for a hoops coach really seemed crazy to me. They were going to be bringing an almost 300 million dollar stadium back on campus and they went CHEAP and INEXPERIENCED for the football coaching hire. STUPID...STUPID...how STUPID could prexy b and badger joel macturi be????????

So, don't expect everyone to have nice "fuzzy-warm-post-brew-
ball memories..." of your little brewboy, dopodoll. Some of us still feel ripped off, cheated and screwed over by the administration for ever having given brewster the keys to the football program. It was an excellent example of prexy b and badger joel macturi not giving a tinker's damn about either the players in the program OR the long-time-extremely loyal season ticket fan base.

Your brew-boy WAS what his Big Ten record WAS. Nothing more and nothing less. Work is work. You can work hard or you can hardly work if you are smart about your work and do a MUCH better job than if you work hard, but hardly anything you work at is smart. Your brew-boy was not a very smart worker and his Big Ten record attests to that fact. He is gone. THAT is good.

I hope for better leadership at the U from Prexy K and I hope he hires a new AD very soon.

; 0 )

I bet most head coaches would just like to coach, but the way things are, there is media and people want to hear something. So these guys have to say something. When you are continually out talking sooner or later you will say something to cause someone to get upset. That is the way it is.

I think everyone agrees that it was time for Brew to go and that he was a gigantic failure as a headcoach. That really isn't what the debate is here.

The question is if Kill's gimmicks are any different than Brew's gimmicks. I agree with Rose and Dpo, the gimmicks are about the same. I do think that Kill can coach and Brew's biggest downfalls were his lack of an identity and lack of an ability to keep a system in place. Those issues really have nothing to do with either of their gimmicky natures. It came down to the fact that Brew was nowhere near ready to be a coach. He didn't fail because he was a "snake oil salesman", he failed for much more pragmatic reasons....we couldn't build a staff and he couldn't coach.

The only thing that Brew and Kill have in common is that they are both sort of gimmicky sort of characters (which i'm not saying is good or bad). However, to be giving Kill "atta boys" for his gimmicks and to be totally grossed out by Brews seems ironic.

Note: I much prefer Kill to Brew. I remember gettign blasted on here for wanting Kill to be our next coach way before he was hired (debate going back and forth about him having cancer). I actually don't mind the gimmicks either. But when you head Kill talk think about the skit from SNL "Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer", that lawyer constantly says "I'm just a simple thawed out caveman....(then he goes on to make a point)". It reminds me of Kill's "i'm just a simple guy from Kansas routine...". Not a bad thing, but still a gimmick.

1st off, I have to say that sports like football has kept a lot of kids out of trouble. Look at how hard it is now to keep a kid out of trouble nowadays even with sports and all the time collegiate athletes have to spend both on training and in education. What would they do if not being able to focus on sports?

From that perspective, to assign the comment as gimmicky seems completely unfair. I think it is a reality most if not all coaches understand and simply work with.

Brew saying the same thing is not a surprise. The man did know some things. He may have used it in a gimmicky sense, but it is far from that.

Personally I think this is being treated like a shock statement and it should not be. It is simply a reality with some kids that sports helps them focus on something constructive and not have the unknowns of what will happen with idle time on their hands.

Bob hit the nail on the head. Their gimmicks are different, but about equal. Brewster's lack of success had nothing to do with being a salesman and everything to do with not winning games. In 3-4 years, if kills teams are looking bad...people will likely start ripping his schtick too. People love to buy into coaches gimmicks at the beginning and love to hate them near the end. In reality, as long as they are motivating players...any gimmick is fine.

And yes it is a fact that kill is full of gimmicks and cliches. That is why I find it so funny when people like doogie say he doesn't have gimmicks....people saying he doesn't simply like his gimmicks better than Brewster's.

dopodoll,

You can not change the way people feel about brewster. He was exactly what his Big Ten record says he was. Did he work hard? What has that got to do with anything???? Did he work smart? Perhaps THAT is more important. Was he EFFECTIVE???? In Big Ten play, how often did he win and how often did he lose?

He apparently really turned you on dopodoll. Well, that's really nice for you, I guess. But, he pretty much totally turned me off to Golden Gopher Football...and I have been a Gopher Football Fan for OVER half a century. The ONLY good thing about brewster I can say is that he is FINALLY gone. I don't hold him responsible though. I hold prexy b and bjm responsible for the worst 4 year period of Gopher Football I have lived through. It is the ONLY 4 year period that I can honestly say that the administrators made me resent them each year when I made payment for my season tickets. Had brewball gone on much longer, I KNOW I would have finally bailed on Gopher Football forever. And I LOVE Golden Gopher Football. The brewster/bjm/prexy b era of Gopher Football is a situation that I somehow managed to hold my nose and get through. The kids on the team were just fine. They weren't adequately led and coached and administered to though. With the constant changing of coaches and coordinators, the kids on the team were put to the most distress and poor treatment by the lack of effort in providing adequate coaching and leadership by prexy b and badger joel macturi. I hold those two personally responsible for the absolute rip off of my season ticket payments and scholarship donations. The last couple years of brewball I DID bail on the concept of donating any money to the scholarship funds. It is going to take some really EXCELLENT administrative leadership from the new prexy and the new AD to get me to start making scholarship contributions. With the millions and millions of dollars macturi and prexy b threw away with the buyouts and consequent hiring of the incompetent brewster as the football coach when they were paying over two million for a hoops coach really seemed crazy to me. They were going to be bringing an almost 300 million dollar stadium back on campus and they went CHEAP and INEXPERIENCED for the football coaching hire. STUPID...STUPID...how STUPID could prexy b and badger joel macturi be????????

So, don't expect everyone to have nice "fuzzy-warm-post-brew-
ball memories..." of your little brewboy, dopodoll. Some of us still feel ripped off, cheated and screwed over by the administration for ever having given brewster the keys to the football program. It was an excellent example of prexy b and badger joel macturi not giving a tinker's damn about either the players in the program OR the long-time-extremely loyal season ticket fan base.

Your brew-boy WAS what his Big Ten record WAS. Nothing more and nothing less. Work is work. You can work hard or you can hardly work if you are smart about your work and do a MUCH better job than if you work hard, but hardly anything you work at is smart. Your brew-boy was not a very smart worker and his Big Ten record attests to that fact. He is gone. THAT is good.

I hope for better leadership at the U from Prexy K and I hope he hires a new AD very soon.

; 0 )

Wow, a guy says "+1" to someone else's post (having nothing to do with Brewster) and get's this? Chill, dude.

Bob hit the nail on the head. Their gimmicks are different, but about equal. Brewster's lack of success had nothing to do with being a salesman and everything to do with not winning games. In 3-4 years, if kills teams are looking bad...people will likely start ripping his schtick too. People love to buy into coaches gimmicks at the beginning and love to hate them near the end. In reality, as long as they are motivating players...any gimmick is fine.

And yes it is a fact that kill is full of gimmicks and cliches. That is why I find it so funny when people like doogie say he doesn't have gimmicks....people saying he doesn't simply like his gimmicks better than Brewster's.

You're right on. Kill is genuine, but he is making a conscious decision to highlight the parts of his natural personality and hammering them home with an intent to portray himself as a down-home country boy. Brewster was also genuine, and he too crafted a persona that he felt would portray himself in the best light to potential recruits and stakeholders. The difference is that the "aw, shucks" personality plays very well in this area of the country, while displays of grandeur go over like a fart in church. Brewster spent his formative years in New Jersey, and cut his professional teeth in Texas, two of the most braggadocious and bombastic places on Earth. Had he been the head coach at Rutgers/Pitt/Texas Tech/Baylor, they would've loved his personality and attitude. Because we're in Minnesota, most people think that setting goals that are unlikely to be achieved is idiotic and false bravado. And, again, as you've said, the only reason anybody cared about Brewster's attitude/"schtick" was that he lost a lot more games than he won. Had he gone to the Rose Bowl, or at the very least won 9 or 10 games in a season, nobody would've cared.

And, further, all of us do this every day in our lives. We all portray ourselves differently depending on the circumstances. I'm the same person always, but I act and behave differently when I'm at work, than I do with my buddies, than I do with family. The difference for guys like Kill and Brewster is that they have to be "on" all the time because of the nature of their work. Does anyone think Kill and Brewster act the same in front of a camera as they do at home with their wives? Of course not. Does that make them fake or bad people? Does it mean they lack character? Anyone who claims to act the same regardless of the company they're in at that moment is lying.

+1. I'd expect a comment like that from Wren or Art Vandelay, but not from you, GL.

I think GL has reasons for feeling that way about Brew, but I won't speak for her.

I've had a feeling now for some time that Kill's 'good old boy' shtick is calculated. To what extent, I can't say.
Call it more of a hunch, but I get the feeling that at least some of what he does is intended to achieve a certain effect.

Don't get me wrong - I have no problem with it, as long as the 'image' proves to be somewhat genuine. As we all found out at Ohio State, when image and reality don't match up, that's when a coach (or a politician - hello, Mr. Weiner) gets into trouble.

Here's what I think - you've heard the saying that you want your enemies to over-estimate your weaknesses, and your friends to under-estimate your strengths. That's the sense I get from Kill. I think he wants people to under-estimate him - maybe think he's not as smart as he really is.

As far as Brewster, I'm sick of talking about it, and I don't want to trigger more "Wrenting."

Bob hit the nail on the head. Their gimmicks are different, but about equal. Brewster's lack of success had nothing to do with being a salesman and everything to do with not winning games. I agree, I think, but isn't lack of success exactly the same thing as not winning games? In 3-4 years, if kills teams are looking bad...people will likely start ripping his schtick too. People love to buy into coaches gimmicks at the beginning and love to hate them near the end. Agree completelyIn reality, as long as they are motivating players...any gimmick is fine. I think that as long as coaches are winning any gimmick will pass muster. Motivating marginally talented players could still result in losses, which will not ultimately be acceptable

Rosemount I largely agree with your post. My comments are not meant to be snarky.

Someone needs to give me a specific gimmick Kill has used. He isn't gimmicky in the least. I just don't get you Brewster defenders and why you go out of your way to find similarities between him and Kill when there are none. Kill hasn't used one gimmick since he's arrived, not one.

Top Bottom