Shama: Mason’s Integrity Looks Good in Columbus Now

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Mason’s Integrity Looks Good in Columbus Now

What if Ohio State had hired Glen Mason in 2001 instead of Jim Tressel?

Mason, who played at Ohio State and was once an assistant coach in Columbus, wanted to leave the Gophers and succeed Buckeyes’ coach John Cooper. “If you go back and read the reports, it looked like the day before (Tressel was announced) that Mason was the leading candidate,” said Dave Mona who worked with Mason on WCCO Radio shows for several years. “He would have been delighted if chosen.”

Mason’s friends know him as a coach who led programs for 21 seasons at Kent State, Kansas and Minnesota without NCAA penalties. I asked Mason about cheating in college football years ago and he said, “I wouldn’t be able to look my son in the eye.”

Tressel resigned last week after months of controversy surrounding himself and several of his players. Tressel admitted not notifying school administrators of NCAA violations involving his players and speculation is that rules violations may be more widespread during his coaching era than previously believed.

Ohio State’s and the NCAA’s investigation of the football program is ongoing. Certainly the Buckeyes have been a success on the field under Tressel, winning nine of 10 games against hated rival Michigan, playing in eight BCS games and sharing or winning seven Big Ten championships, but Mason supporters will argue OSU would have been a winner and also on the straight-and-narrow had he become the coach.

Would Ohio State call Mason again? Assistant coach Luke Fickell is the interim head coach for the season, but a coaching search is possible after the Buckeyes finish their schedule. Mona believes Mason, 61, might be interested in the job.

“Glen certainly could be responsive to phone calls,” Mona said. “I don’t think the loyalty to Ohio State goes away.”

Mason played reserve linebacker at Ohio State under legendary coach Woody Hayes, earning a letter in 1970. He was an assistant coach in Columbus from 1978-1985. Every year Mason goes back to Columbus to play in the Jack Nicklaus golf tournament, an indication of his many ties and relationships in Ohio.

There is speculation, too, whether the Ohio State athletics director job will be open later this year. Gene Smith will be under scrutiny as the investigation moves along. Mason’s name might come up with an AD opening.

Gary Hohman, a former Gophers’ football player and friend of Mason for many years knows the Buckeyes will need the right kind of leadership in the months and years ahead. “Integrity is the No. 1 thing that Glen Mason presents,” Hohman said. “I think that’s something they’re looking for.”

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

He has pearly white teeth so he's got that going for him, which is good.

Hilarious, I really can't believe people can be this f'ing stupid. Glen Mason had terrible results at Minnesot both on the field and in the recruiting battles. What would have happened if tOSU hired Mason? No national title for tOSU and more losses to Michigan while Minnesota wins more games.

Hilarious, I really can't believe people can be this f'ing stupid. Glen Mason had terrible results at Minnesot both on the field and in the recruiting battles. What would have happened if tOSU hired Mason? No national title for tOSU and more losses to Michigan while Minnesota wins more games.

UHHHHHH, yes but he was recruiting kids and playing them in the Metrodome, with a very fair weathered fan base..... Not tO$U.

By the way, he not only has shiny pearly whites, but also has impeccable hair which would be very stylish with said Sweater Vest. Just sayin'

"Terrible Results"??? Really? He did better at MN than anybody since Murray Warmath and beat every Big10 Team including going to 7 bowls (I think). That's hardly "terrible". At OSU he'd be fantastic!

"Terrible Results"??? Really?

Yes. Name me any profession or sport (other than a hitter in baseball) where yielding a positive outcome 40% of the time is anything other than terrible. If only 40% of my e-mails, phone calls, letters, etc. in my job got to their intended destination, I would've been fired years ago. Just because he was less terrible than some of his predecessors doesn't mean he wasn't terrible.

Acceptable win percentage

Yes. Name me any profession or sport (other than a hitter in baseball) where yielding a positive outcome 40% of the time is anything other than terrible. If only 40% of my e-mails, phone calls, letters, etc. in my job got to their intended destination, I would've been fired years ago. Just because he was less terrible than some of his predecessors doesn't mean he wasn't terrible.

I agree with your point but since you threw out the challenge I immediately thought of three sport’s related ornes. A professional gopher would be very happy to win 40% of the tournaments he or she entered. A professional fisherman would definitely be satisfied with a 40% catch rate on casts. Last but not least coach Kill would be very pleased with a 40% acceptance rate on offers.

But you are certainly right that a 40% win rate for football games won't cut it.

Certainly not true for conference wins:

Cal Stoll: 27-29
Lou Holtz: 7-10
John Gutekunst: 18-28-2
Glen Mason: 32-48

Your point is valid, but I should point out that Mason's .400 winning pct. in conference is better than Gutey's .396. And Mason took over a team that was in a mess, while Gutey took over what Holtz had been building.

Personally, I agree that Mason needed to go when he did, but it should have been done before the bowl game so we could have had a proper coaching search. Having said that, I think it's unfair to use Mason's conference record against him without pointing out that he went 3-13 his first two years while turning the program around. While a 29-35 Big Ten record (.453) isn't anything to write home about, it's far from terrible.

And I already know someone is going to claim that I'm content with mediocrity - that's not the case at all. I'm simply willing to acknowledge that while a .453 conference winning percentage would be awful at Michigan or Ohio State, it's not bad at Minnesota. Not good either, but not bad. I'm not willing to settle for it, but to claim that Mason was terrible is silly.

Top Bottom