Favorite Brewster Moment

CWCWCW

Reaction score
Yes, I know he's gone, and I've moved on. Brewster rubbed me the wrong way when he started his journey coaching at the U. I didn't care for his bravado, but, he stuck with it and was consistent. I actually liked him better near then end of his tenure as I thought he was starting to learn how to be a head coach. I was hoping that it would work out for him as like everyone else, am getting tired of starting over again and again.

The glory moments were few and far between. Michigan State on Halloween comes to mind, the inaugural game at TCF vs. Air Force, and that's about it. But, my personal favorite has to be the way he snubbed Becky Beilema after the game. Yes, our Gophers fought hard, but had it poured on at the end of the game. It's our guys job to stop them, and we didn't. Knowing all that, it was GREAT to see Brewster stick up for his team and he looked ready to kick Bielema's arse during the post game "handshake". I loved it and I think Bret looked scared.

Bring back the axe! While you're at it thieves, bring back the bacon.

Awesome thread. No, seriously. I've always liked Brew. I was on of the few who actually LIKED his bravado (no one bitches about former Standford coach Jim Harbaugh's bravado) and am of the believe that at that time in the program, we actually NEEDED it. I loved how he brought our tradition to the forefront of everything he did.. Without actually seeing the ring around the dome with our National Championships prior, I would have never known how rich our tradition was without Brew to be honest. It was seriously too bad that he just didn't have a system or a rock solid plan in place when he took over. Or that he didn't lean on his coordinators more in his first few years.

My favorite thing about Brew was his passion. For the players and for 'the U'. I loved his catchphrases.. "Lets get our daggum chili HOT!", "You want some, you better bring some!!", "On our back, will be an Axe! On our BACK, WILL BE AN AXE!!! Lets ride!"

I'll dog his poor coaching abilities, but I'll never, ever dog that he wanted to succeed here and that he loved this program. His passion for the Gophs was as intense as ours is.

My favorite Brewster moment was the handshake with Bielema.

I'm sure WREN, WHO IS GOPHER FOOTBALL'S #1 BREWBALL BACKER, will chime in how he loved that Weber started every single game during Brewster's tenure.

This youtube video is my favorite contribution from Brew.

Specifically 1:19.

"It's real. It's raw. At times it's REAL RAW"

Personallly I'd love to keep some Brewster'ism "Get yer Chili hot" "Can't bring a pellet gun to a bear hunt" etc

I was fortunate enough to get to know him on a persal level and liked him. He is a cool dude who is honest and loyal. He started going downhill...fast, when he held the support staff liable for the treatment and care of his players. There were far to many folks content on collecting paychecks and mailing it in. By holding them accountable and going to bat for his players he made a lot of enemies. Enemies who were quick to twist the knife when things started heading south.

Three crucial mistakes Tim made were; 1. not balancing his classes, 2. being overly optimistic and 3. not recognizing that most minnesotans like to be pimped.

I can't blame him for being inexperienced as a head coach....any moron (insert title) should have known there would be growing pains.

Tim Brewster Holds Live Chat at Gophersports.com
Head football coach Tim Brewster held a live chat at Gophersports.com on Thursday. Here's a transcript of the hour-long session.

Ray Bulinski:Dawson, MN: Coach Brewster; Is it possible that Harold Howell's listed height and weight are overstated at 5'6" and 160lbs? I read a publication that he is closer to 5'4" and 145lbs.....what are your thoughts Coach Brewster? Thank you

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coach Brewster:: I've known Coach Hall at Mandarin High School in Jacksonville a long time. Harold Howell is going to become a Gopher favorite. He is one of the most dynamic players I have ever seen.

Really?

The media destroyed him for it, but I loved it when he said that Minnesota was going to the Rose Bowl. That should be the goal of every Big Ten coach. I've come around on Kill, but if I were to speak with him and he told me that wasn't his goal, I'd gladly help him box up his office right now. He's just not naive enough to say it in front of the "esteemed" media in this town.

The media destroyed him for it, but I loved it when he said that Minnesota was going to the Rose Bowl. That should be the goal of every Big Ten coach. I've come around on Kill, but if I were to speak with him and he told me that wasn't his goal, I'd gladly help him box up his office right now. He's just not naive enough to say it in front of the "esteemed" media in this town.

Same here. I liked how he didn't make excuses on why it was so tough to win like his predecessor.

Although I defended him at the time, looking back now his worst off the field moment was the KFAN/PA fiasco. He really came off as a child in that one.

I too liked his bravado. Yes a lot of it was over the top but I've often felt this program needs to have more bravado and a little more swagger. Maybe it is the Mason effect but there has always appeared to be too much of a ho hum mentality around the program. I want to see players and coaches ticked off after a game and I haven't seen that enough from this program.

Brew was in over his head but he did have his moments.

Fact is, I'm more engaged as a Gopher fan now that I ever have been, because of Brewster. The Illinois game in his second year was the highlight.

I can't remember if it was the first game of the 2007 season (Brewster's first year) or a later game, but I think it was the first game and he dove and belly flopped on the sideline at the very end of the game...as the Gophers lost. There was such an epic picture of this in the STrib, I was literally laughing out loud.

I can't remember if it was the first game of the 2007 season (Brewster's first year) or a later game, but I think it was the first game and he dove and belly flopped on the sideline at the very end of the game...as the Gophers lost. There was such an epic picture of this in the STrib, I was literally laughing out loud.

Braille much?

Braille much?

Well done, Good Sir. Here's the embedded photo of my fav. momento

attachment.php

The Quintessential "Non-denial Denial"

Tim Brewster Holds Live Chat at Gophersports.com
Head football coach Tim Brewster held a live chat at Gophersports.com on Thursday. Here's a transcript of the hour-long session.

Ray Bulinski:Dawson, MN: Coach Brewster; Is it possible that Harold Howell's listed height and weight are overstated at 5'6" and 160lbs? I read a publication that he is closer to 5'4" and 145lbs.....what are your thoughts Coach Brewster? Thank you

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coach Brewster:: I've known Coach Hall at Mandarin High School in Jacksonville a long time. Harold Howell is going to become a Gopher favorite. He is one of the most dynamic players I have ever seen.

Really?

Time to fire up "All The President's Men" again?

all-the-presidents-men.jpg

But, my personal favorite has to be the way he snubbed Becky Beilema after the game. Yes, our Gophers fought hard, but had it poured on at the end of the game. It's our guys job to stop them, and we didn't. Knowing all that, it was GREAT to see Brewster stick up for his team and he looked ready to kick Bielema's arse during the post game "handshake". I loved it and I think Bret looked scared.

As a Badger fan, Brewster was a delight and an never-ending source of comedy. The moment quoted above was one of my favorites too, since it happened on our home turf. Not sure if the papers in the Cities covered all the activity that occurred the next day.

That being said, I think it is better for the Big 10 that Brewster is gone. We need a more competitive conference from top to bottom. I think Kill is a good hire.

I loved his initial press conference, when he said "the Twin Cities is a tremendous city".

1st game against NIU. goes for the TD and the win. his first 2 seasons he went always went high risk/high reward....then for some reason that was gone. best thing that happened to the UW FB program was D. McClain tipping at 48. He was so similar to our mason years.

Timmy provided so MANY great moments for us. It really is hard to recount all of them. To me, he turned out to be Foghorn Leghorn w/ a baseball hat.

* His prediction of winning a rose bowl
* stating that Mason didn't leave the cupboard bare, that he could win now
* his pre-game axe speech....classic, especially considering he went out& lost
* the coaches sideline picture, as the team loses to FL little leaguers
* suiting up the team in all white, as they went out and surrendered to their biggest rival
* complaining@ the post game presser, that Bielema would have to live w/ going for two....shortly thereafter, Timmy gets canned
* going thru OC's like they were the flavor of the day

He truly was "Dr. Hyperbole/ Coach Disaster". Be thankful for Coach Kill. He actually carries substance.

Memorable moment? I got real scared when he full-body flopped in week two of this job. Who does that? Somebody unprepared for gameday, that's who. I left the Dome that day worried as hell.

1. His hiring.
2. Making a big deal of a meaningless two point conversion in a blowout loss. Couldn't talk about the beating his team just took so he went the sore loser route.
3. Hard to forget South Dakota.
4. 0 - 4

1. His hiring.
2. Making a big deal of a meaningless two point conversion in a blowout loss. Couldn't talk about the beating his team just took so he went the sore loser route.
3. Hard to forget South Dakota.
4. 0 - 4

You're boring.

I feel like we've been through this already?

He fired a secretary that had worked in the football office...

for 30 years. He was a dickhead to the office support staff

You're boring.

I feel like we've been through this already?

I agree with you. But someone started the thread and it was just too easy. Kill is much harder to make fun of, which is too bad. It is hard not to root for the guy.

My favorite Brewster moment was watching m gray be the 2nd best player on the field in the us army all American game.

Top Bottom