ESPN: Can last season's letdowns turn it around? (Minn included)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
"Minnesota: Maybe we should rename it "Tubby's Law," because in 2011, anything that could have gone wrong for the Golden Gophers did. Devoe Joseph left the team in January. Al Nolen missed the team's final 12 games to a broken right foot. Junior center Colton Iverson left the team in March, the fifth player in to leave the program in the past year.

Tubby Smith expected his team to compete for a Big Ten title. Instead, it collapsed down the stretch, posting a 2-10 record in the 12 games Nolen missed as the Gophers failed to reach the NCAA tournament in a season that began with such high hopes.

What's the prognosis for 2012? It's not all bad. Yes, with Nolen, Joseph and sharpshooter Blake Hoffarber gone, Minnesota will have to recalibrate its backcourt in a major way. That will probably mean more time for promising youngsters Chip Armelin and Austin Hollins and plenty of chances for incoming shooting guards Andre Hollins and Joe Coleman (as well as junior college transfer Julian Welch). The good news is that Minnesota's bruising frontcourt -- led by athletic power forward Trevor Mbakwe and skilled center Ralph Sampson III -- will be back in the fold. That alone should be enough to keep this team in the thick of the crowded Big Ten middle for much of the season. Smith is due for a few breaks."

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask.../31557/can-last-years-letdowns-turn-it-around

Go Gophers!!

I like hearing a positive perspective. I share ESPN's viewpoint, I think we'll be upper-half this year.

Tubby's Law...What can go wrong, went wrong last year. WE will do gooder this upcoming season.

Top Bottom