CBS: MarQueis Gray ranked 58th top player in CFB

BleedGopher

Reaction score
One spot ahead of Michael Floyd:

"58. MARQUEIS GRAY, quarterback/wide receiver (?), Minnesota. MarQueis Gray is something of an enigma in Minneapolis; the high school Army All-American quarterback was a recruiting coup for Tim Brewster and Minnesota back in 2008, but since then Gray has mainly spent his time at wide receiver for the Gophers, taking a backseat to the now-departed Adam Weber. Gray has lined up at quarterback a few times in his first couple years on the field, but it's usually been to execute a running play of some kind, as Gray's passing has been mostly disastrous--he's completed just 8 of 23 attempts thus far, and that includes a 5-of-6 performance against Ohio State. Take that out, and it's a surreal 3-of-17. (Only one interception in those 23 passes though, so at least when Gray misses, he misses everybody.)

Still, it's hard not to be tantalized by Gray's prospects as a quarterback. He has the size (6'4" and a strong 230) to play under center at the next level, his arm strength is legitimate, and he's plenty fast. All in all, he has such physical skills that Brewster had to get him on the field one way or another, and that's how his first two years played out at receiver. But at some point, someone with Gray's potential has to turn "on the field one way or another" into "on the field and leading his team," and if Gray can't make significant progress on that front in 2011, new head coach Jerry Kill's first season is going to be a long one. -- AJ"

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/29718264

Go Gophers!!

My thought: Kill will pull Gray out if Gray misfires in consecutive games. jerry don't eff around.

Interesting

So, CFB ranks MG 58th. That contrasts the Athlon Big 10 preview that I was reading last night. They have him pegged as the 8th best quarterback in the B1G.
I guess we'll have to wait and see. I know that he will be hard to bring down. Will he be a smart? Will he be accurate? Will he be a team leader? All things to be shown in the upcoming season.

They have him pegged as the 8th best quarterback in the B1G.
I guess we'll have to wait and see.
So annoyingly true (hurry up FB season). As of right now this is totally fair. If you are willing to consider "potential" then you can rank him higher (which is seemingly what CBS did). But he hasn't done anything yet to expect a higher ranking versus other B1G QB's.

I'm betting he'll perform well enough to earn a higher ranking on the "best of" lists by the end of the season though.

Gray is a freakin stud! He will bring this team back to a solid bowl game in the next 2 years!

Rankings are based on past performance mostly and secondarily potential. As such a QB that couldn't dethrone Adam Weber and who had been injured in HS is properly evaluated at about 8 in the Big 10.

I fully expect that by year-end he will have proven that ranking to be wrong. But right now, not so much. You could make the same ranking of coach Kill. I expect he will move up as much as Gray, maybe together, eh?

No knock to Adam Weber, Gray should have been the QB last year. From all that I have read and saw over the past few years Gray has "it".

This isn't a "top player" post. Hell, Tommy Tuberville makes the list at 51. It's "100 most influential players, coaches, administrators, venues, or any other related things in college football."

Can we not look back at what happened at the QB position last year? There's 2 sides to that argument and its become quite obvious that neither side is going to concede anything.

The only thing Brewster playing Weber all year and not once giving Gray a chance proves is that Brewster was too big of a coward to take make a change.

Marqueis Gray is the QB this year. Let's just focus on that.

2010 Offensive Statistics:

Scoring: 23.2 ppg (10th in Big Ten, 89th in Nation)

Rushing Yds/Game: 135.25 yds/game (10th in Big Ten, 86th in Nation)

Passing Yds/Game: 226.1 yds/game (8th in Big Ten, 57th in Nation)

Total Yds/Game: 361.3 yds/game (10th in Big Ten, 77th in Nation)

2010 Defensive Statistics:

Scoring: 33.0 ppg (9th in Big Ten, 98th in Nation)

Rushing Yds/Game: 191.42 yds/game (last in Big Ten, 98th in Nation)

Passing Yds/Game: 200.8 yds/game (4th in Big Ten, 33th in Nation)

Total Yds/Game: 392.2 yds/game (8th in Big Ten, 76th in Nation)

Based on these stats, our problem last year was very obviously our defense and not our offense or the QB, so Brew did the exact right thing.

2010 Offensive Statistics:

Scoring: 23.2 ppg (10th in Big Ten, 89th in Nation)

Rushing Yds/Game: 135.25 yds/game (10th in Big Ten, 86th in Nation)

Passing Yds/Game: 226.1 yds/game (8th in Big Ten, 57th in Nation)

Total Yds/Game: 361.3 yds/game (10th in Big Ten, 77th in Nation)

2010 Defensive Statistics:

Scoring: 33.0 ppg (9th in Big Ten, 98th in Nation)

Rushing Yds/Game: 191.42 yds/game (last in Big Ten, 98th in Nation)

Passing Yds/Game: 200.8 yds/game (4th in Big Ten, 33th in Nation)

Total Yds/Game: 392.2 yds/game (8th in Big Ten, 76th in Nation)

Based on these stats, our problem last year was very obviously our defense and not our offense or the QB, so Brew did the exact right thing.

Based on those stats, the offense last year was terrible.

What about being ranked 10, 10, 8, and 10, respectively, in the big ten in the above categories makes you think the offense wasn't a problem?

Also, the offense being better than the defense doesn't make it good.

Based on those stats, the offense last year was terrible.

What about being ranked 10, 10, 8, and 10, respectively, in the big ten in the above categories makes you think the offense wasn't a problem?

Also, the offense being better than the defense doesn't make it good.

Case closed! Coaches watch more practice than you do sir, they picked Weber. That means he was better END OF STORY. What don't you get? The defense was the problem, didn't you see last in rushing defense? That is worse than any offensive statistic. 8th in passing. Weber not the problem. 10/11 is better than 11/11. Gray might do great this year but Weber is better.

Thanks Section2

Case closed! Coaches watch more practice than you do sir, they picked Weber. That means he was better END OF STORY. What don't you get? The defense was the problem, didn't you see last in rushing defense? That is worse than any offensive statistic. 8th in passing. Weber not the problem. 10/11 is better than 11/11. Gray might do great this year but Weber is better.

I greatly relieved by your sterling logical argument that Weber was not the problem. Now if you can just erase all those bounced passes by Weber from my memory everything will be fine.

I expect that you had wren help with your logic.

Did you read my first post? I didn't say Weber was the problem. My post says that Brewster made a mistake by never allowing Gray to play QB. I didn't say start. If Gray was afforded the opportunity to play in blowouts that would have helped greatly.

By the way, that 4th in the Big Ten in pass defense is better than any offensive rank. So the defense obviously wasn't the problem. See I can play your game too.

My point is that the offense was so bad, as was the defense, that trying new players regardless of position should have been welcomed and that never happened.

Weber was far from the biggest problem with this team last year, but to point to the passing stats as "proof" of that is more than a little misleading. How many yards/TDs did Weber rack up playing from behind in the fourth quarter when the outcome of the game had long been decided? Gray needed those reps last year at the end of blowouts. That's where Brewster is most rippable in my book.

Gray needed those reps last year at the end of blowouts. That's where Brewster is most rippable in my book.

This. Not playing your highly touted backup and future starting QB in garbage time is baffling. There's just no excuse.

Brewster

Coach Brewster was trying to save his job last season--he didn't have a long term attitude. A more well-established coach might have taken a risk at QB--Brewster just couldn't. That doesn't mean it wasn't the right thing to do for the program.

I wish Mr. Gray the best. I hope for his sake he is coachable, and is learning a lot right now.

Did you read my first post? I didn't say Weber was the problem. My post says that Brewster made a mistake by never allowing Gray to play QB. I didn't say start. If Gray was afforded the opportunity to play in blowouts that would have helped greatly.

By the way, that 4th in the Big Ten in pass defense is better than any offensive rank. So the defense obviously wasn't the problem. See I can play your game too.

My point is that the offense was so bad, as was the defense, that trying new players regardless of position should have been welcomed and that never happened.

Instead having these stupid arguments can't we all just concede that the ENTIRE fu^&in team sucked and the whole thing was a problem. We were 3-9 for godsakes, the coaches, the offense, the defense, the kicking game, the students, they all SUCKED! Thank god for a new era of hope.

No knock to Adam Weber, Gray should have been the QB last year. From all that I have read and saw over the past few years Gray has "it".

If they hadn't been in a must win situation I don't see how you couldn't play him. I still think he should have gotten more reps even with the way the team played last year.

Barring injury, Gray is probably a top 5 round draft pick after his senior year on athleticism alone. Even if he can't throw the ball at all, he will likely be a top 3 player on this team at some position.

Barring injury, Gray is probably a top 5 round draft pick after his senior year on athleticism alone. Even if he can't throw the ball at all, he will likely be a top 3 player on this team at some position.

Let's keep in mind that this is not the NBA here man.

Ah, gotcha read it wrong. I was going to say, that's one of the more hyped-up Gray predictions I've read and there's been quite a few.

Ah, gotcha read it wrong. I was going to say, that's one of the more hyped-up Gray predictions I've read and there's been quite a few.

Yeah, I had to do a few read-throughs to see if I was reading that right cause I saw the same thing at first LOL,

But yeah, the title's misleading, they're not calling him the 58th best player, just the 58th most influential figure, which isn't farfetched considering how much of Gopher football feels like it hinges on him being at least decent. I think he's up to the challenge.

Top Bottom