New acting OSU coach...

That has to be by far your shortest post ever! Congrats!:clap::clap:;)

You had best believe that I will more than make up...

for that in SHORT-order. You shouldn't get your shorts in a bundle arbogast. I'm guessing that you got short-changed when it came to attention spans and you dudes and dudettes, which ever your case may be will having plenty of long posts to read very SHORTLY... Hell, I'll bet that even your mom used to SHORT-sheet your bed. Nothing very LONG lasting can ever come from some seriously SHORT post. I will guarantee you that a short-post period of time will be very SHORT-lived.

And that is pretty much the long & short of it...

; 0 )

So does anybody think like I do, that Coach Luke, being an in-bred Ohio State player/coach had any knowledge of what was going on there?????

for that in SHORT-order. You shouldn't get your shorts in a bundle arbogast. I'm guessing that you got short-changed when it came to attention spans and you dudes and dudettes, which ever your case may be will having plenty of long posts to read very SHORTLY... Hell, I'll bet that even your mom used to SHORT-sheet your bed. Nothing very LONG lasting can ever come from some seriously SHORT post. I will guarantee you that a short-post period of time will be very SHORT-lived.

And that is pretty much the long & short of it...

; 0 )

...brevity is the soul of wit.

So does anybody think like I do, that Coach Luke, being an in-bred Ohio State player/coach had any knowledge of what was going on there?????

He has been there for 9 years. There's no way he didn't know something was going on. I mean even bystanders had an idea that something fishy was going on.

My guess is that he had a hunch but he didn't go to far out of his way to confirm his hunch one way or the other because he was afraid what he might discover.

My guess is most assistant coaches in college football do their best Sergeant Schultz when it comes to the behavior of the kids on the team vis-a-vis boosters and other shenanigans.

My guess is most assistant coaches in college football do their best Sergeant Schultz when it comes to the behavior of the kids on the team vis-a-vis boosters and other shenanigans.

This may be, but an effective head coach (or asst for that matter) should be interested in compliance throughout the organization....

An assistant coach that looks the other way will in al probablility look the other way as a head coach too....

Not the best way to clean up the program if you ask me...

I wonder if Gordon Gee (tOSU president) will again utter "I hope he doesn't fire me" when asked about Fickell.

In my experience, the assistant coaches, especially the position coaches, tend to be closer to the players than the head coach. It's hard to believe that any of the assistant coaches didn't hear some rumblings about what was going on.

That's why I think OSU doesn't have much of a choice when it comes to naming a permanent coach. They have to go outside the program. They can't run the risk of ticking off the NCAA by naming one of the current assistants as the permanent coach. They'd just be inviting the NCAA to keep the program under the microscope.

I would guess that one of the key criteria for the new Head Coach will be a squeaky-clean background. OSU can't afford to hire anyone who's ever been touched by even a hint of scandal.
Ironically, I could see a scenario where they bring in someone like Glen Mason - an established coach who's had some success, has never been in trouble with the NCAA, and doesn't have any ties to the Tressel era, but does have ties to OSU. Maybe bring someone like that in for a few years, with an understanding that he will "Pass the torch" to a younger coach in a certain period of time.

Not saying it's going to be Mason - I have no idea if he would even be interested - but it does make sense (at least to me).

(tongue in cheek) - but if OSU hired Mason, will Wren show up wearning an OSU jersey?

You are trying to be "cute" again short...nasty...norwegian...

However, everyone knows a short, nasty norwegian can never be "cute..."

I liked Glen Mason a lot as the the Gopher's coach. He made the Gophers competetive again and I don't know when we will see that happen again. I am hoping very much that Coach Kill can get us back to the competetive level.

That being said, I wouldn't wish that Ohio State job on ANYONE at this point in time. It will truely be a "no win" situation for who ever takes over at this point in time. Based upon what I have seen of college football in over half a century of watching: there IS only temperary joy in Columbus. It is one of those situations in which it seems there really NEVER is any long term peace, prosperity and real College Football for the sake of College Football. Things didn't end well for Woody Hayes. And I seriously question just how happy Woody was there. I think being matched against his former player, Bo Schembeckler and battling Michigan was as close to happiness as Woody could come. Yet, coach after coach at Ohio State has walked in Woody's unhappy shadow. Earl Bruce never quite made it big enough. Cooper couldn't beat Michigan OR win bowl games. And, now tressel has brought shame and dishonor to the Horseshoe.

The fans in Columbus are totally unreasonable, feel too "entitled" and always seem to be battling some kind of "coming up short" problem with their football. That NC that tressel traded his soul for back in 2002 was the first NC in about 34 years at OSU. Can you imagine? It had been THAT long between NC's for Ohio State? And...with all the advantages, tradition and clout...they still had to CHEAT to try to compete?

The fans there will be brutal to who ever takes over the program now. It truely will be a no win situation for who ever tries to nurse-maid them through the penalty phase of the NCAA sanctions/penalties/punishments. The fanbase at OSU just doesn't have the temperment...the humility...the decency to give up their outrageous expectations and sense of entitlement.

so, I really feel sorry for who ever takes that job, especially right now. I don't think the new coach could possibly come through the process unscathed. The Horseshoe had a spell cast upon it by Woody...and for coaches there it has pretty much been a no win situation...even though they win SO MUCH...

I'm starting to believe that PSU and St. John's in MN have been the ONLY places where "...it is good to be the football coach..."

; 0 )

You are trying to be "cute" again short...nasty...norwegian...

xyz

I disagree wren

I still think OSU is a plum job. With the talent in that state--barring the death penalty or something--- they can keep a very strong program going maybe with a two year decrease in performance. Get through a year or two and OSU will be right back in the thick of things. Same for USC. Their tradition and in state talent takes over in a short time---unless they receive the mother of all penalties.
I have to say this too wren---and i expect you to get all upset----being the Mason lover you were---you wouldnt have given any new coach much of a chance including Vince Lombardi. You think Mason was so competitive. He would win the non conference games and three big ten games and get to a fringe bowl. Thats not enough for most but it was for you. Mason could do no wrong in your book. You say big ten wins are so important. He would win three out of seven or eight and almost all against bottom feeders--a couple exceptions in 10 years. You should change your screen name to Low Expectations *wink*

I still think OSU is a plum job. With the talent in that state--barring the death penalty or something--- they can keep a very strong program going maybe with a two year decrease in performance. Get through a year or two and OSU will be right back in the thick of things. Same for USC. Their tradition and in state talent takes over in a short time---unless they receive the mother of all penalties.
I have to say this too wren---and i expect you to get all upset----being the Mason lover you were---you wouldnt have given any new coach much of a chance including Vince Lombardi. You think Mason was so competitive. He would win the non conference games and three big ten games and get to a fringe bowl. Thats not enough for most but it was for you. Mason could do no wrong in your book.

Which is odd because he's such an adamant Brewball Backer. Maybe he's a masochist?

Top Bottom