Westbrook not too short

Reaction score
So much for being too short. Ty Lawson of UNC is listed at 5'11". We need Westbrook to get his "Ty Lawson" mo-jo back. Could the Gophers have lost "something" after the Wisconsin win just like Penn State has lost "something" since the Michigan State win? Were those games their peaks? If so, it was too early.

Comparing Westbrook to Lawson is not a fair comparison. Lawson is lightning quick.

Westbrook's problem is his size matched with his lack of explosiveness. Nobody's saying that small guards can't succeed, but small guards without a ton of quickness are going to have a lot of trouble against athletic defenders in the Big Ten. Westbrook's gutty, and there's nobody I'd trust more to hit a big shot if he's open, but he's finding out that it's very very difficult to get open in the Big Ten when people know who you are.

For his skillset, he is too short. He is no Lawson. And isn't Lawson a PG anyway? If Westbrook was able to play the point, that would be a different story. You're comparing one of the most talented players in the country with a decent DI player.

For his skillset, he is too short. He is no Lawson.
Exactly. While he has no fear in penetrating, he doesn't have the speed to shock the defensive players already clogging the paint by the time he arrives. And when he arrives, it seems he doesn't have the balance/body control to find that narrow window of space that would permit him to put the ball up and into the basket with any consistency.

In all honesty, I thought by this point of the season, Lawrence would have been our go-to guy for the needed last-moment basket. He's still one of our better options but he's not the guy.

That said, he remains an important part of the team -- when his streak runs hot, it's great! When it's running cold, it's not a detriment -- just not the contribution that we need at times.

I agree with Snowman... when his streak runs hot, it's great! When it's running cold, it's not a detriment.

I think Westbrook is going to step it up again. He has definitely drawn more attention to himself after the Wisconsin game. Teams obviously scheme ways to shut down who they think our scorer will be. When he is back....hopefully its at tourney time!

With a total lack of consistent point production from any other player on the floor, Westbrook has no chance.

He needs other scoring threats on the floor to get his shot because he can't get it on his own.

I think matching LW with Joseph and DJ would be a better fit and having hoffarber match with Nolan and carter is already been shown to work. Now who starts and who comes off the bench is another thread...but to make our half court work, either nolan or westbrook needs to not start, IMO.

He's just one more guy in Tubby's tool bag. Against the right opponent he is very effective. He can create mismatches in athleticism against certain opponents. But he can also be neutralized in the same manner by more athletic guys. I'm guessing he does better against certain defensive schemes than others too, although I haven't paid attention so much to that to know.

When you're good but not the best somedays you'll dominate, others you'll be dominated.

He's not too short he's just talentless. He should have stuck with football.

He's just one more guy in Tubby's tool bag. Against the right opponent he is very effective. He can create mismatches in athleticism against certain opponents. But he can also be neutralized in the same manner by more athletic guys. I'm guessing he does better against certain defensive schemes than others too, although I haven't paid attention so much to that to know.

When you're good but not the best somedays you'll dominate, others you'll be dominated.

Thanks for the insight John Madden.

Westbrook's height is a problem for him when he goes to the rim. But, he has done just that successfully many times. Yes he gets lost in the trees sometimes. still his ability to penatrate can be worth the effort when he correctly evaluates when he can shoot and when he should pass. There can be no doubt he can put the ball in the basket. He has done it often enough.

LW's 'problem' is that he doesn't protect the ball enough....Too loose and out of control. Yes he can score when all things go well, but too often it doesn't and the ball gets stripped or blocked.

So much for being too short. Ty Lawson of UNC is listed at 5'11". We need Westbrook to get his "Ty Lawson" mo-jo back. Could the Gophers have lost "something" after the Wisconsin win just like Penn State has lost "something" since the Michigan State win? Were those games their peaks? If so, it was too early.

Dumbest BLEEPING post of the year. So bleeping dumb. Thanks to the others who already corrected this guy.

You're only too short if you're feet don't reach the ground
- Tom Dooley

"Dumbest BLEEPING post of the year. So bleeping dumb. Thanks to the others who already corrected this guy."

WHy is it so necessary to attack someone for stating their opinion on this board. If you disagree fine but why the personal attack. This board is at its best when many people contribute. It is at its worst when posters try to intimidate others from posting.

Top Bottom