Jerry Kill - A Man of Mystery?

Killjoy

Reaction score
Wren seems to believe that Jerry Kill is either too complex or mysterious to understand. Therefore we should wait until he has prerequisite number of Big Ten wins before we draw any conclusions about him. Wren is certainly right that we can’t say for sure whether he will be able to turn the program around, but unlike Wren I say we do have enough knowledge and history about Jerry Kill to draw some very reasonable conclusions about him.

Wren seems to believe that we really shouldn’t or can’t try to understand Jerry Kill’s actions because we can’t possible know what Jerry is thinking. When I suggested that Gray was the starter even though he had yet to be named the starter, wren said in affect who do I think I am, coach Kill? All you just needed to do was listen to what Jerry and his coaches were saying about Gray to realize that he is the starter. In addtion it helps to understand that it is part of coach Kill’s coaching philosophy and strategy is to push the players to continue to strive all the time. Therefore coach Kill doesn’t like to name starters.

The 5TH Down Football guys were able to figure this out when they wrote that “Although Kill has not officially named Gray as the starter heading into summer workouts, the new coach was quick to point out that Gray is ‘certainly the guy going into fall camp.’ The competition will turn up a notch when highly-touted QB Max Shortell enters the picture during summer camp, but it appears that it would take something spectacular happening for Gray to be dethroned prior to Minnesota’s opener at USC.”

Yea, that Jerry is a complicated guy. Therefore we certainly shouldn’t try to read anything into what he says. Besides, that would require that we have some insight and having the ability to reason. Instead let’s all say simple phrases like “It is all about Big Ten wins”. That is how you coach and turn a program around.

The truth wren is that Jerry is not that complicated. Almost everything he says is designed to move the University of Minnesota’s football program in the direction of his vision and his understanding of what it going to take to get there. He is going start by out working, out teaching, and out motivating the competition. He also understands that you need to pay attention to the details for all aspects of a successful program.

Part of this is how you communicate to the program stakeholders. Jerry does it honestly but also uses every opportunity in speaking as a teaching moment. Another words, when he speaks he is doing great more than just communicating information to the stakeholders of the U of M football program. He is changing the culture and preceptions of the Universtiy of Minnesota football program.

I suspect most people are starting to realize this. The classic example of this was how he communicated the academic issues the football team was having this spring. Maybe Sid still doesn’t get it but I suspect a great many others now understand what Jerry was doing and why. Jerry modus operandi is to under promise, over deliver, and to keep people focused on and motivated to achieve his vision. Yes, that is right; we are all being managed by Jerry. I don’t mean this in a negative sense but just opposite. This is why Jerry may be able to do what others have not been able to do, turn the program around.

He's experienced in coaching by motivating factors. He's pushing alot of buttons that haven't been pushed in a while.
-Not naming starters, and talking up incoming prospects
-Not giving out offers to likely locals until camp, but staying in contact with them like they are top targets
-Using media to reduce pressure from outside the program, while increasing it from within(academics, depth, expected wins)
-Grassroots networking in the state versus electronic(no tweets, facebook, recruiting seems more in the dark than before)
He's got a different style and I think he's going about things very methodically.
People forget this is his big shot, he's being careful not to make missteps that could sink it, Brewster blew his big shot, Kill is working hard to build a base of team depth, speed, academic integrity, coaching stability, and fanbase goodwill that will keep unexpected problems(off field, injuries, staff turnover) from distracting from actual coaching which he has proven he can do.
It's no mystery to those who can take a step back and critically analyze all the moves he's made here.
Heck, I can even see what Brewster was trying to do by taking a step back and analyzing critically.

Why did this posting have to be as long as one of Wren's?

I see that you addressed BIG TEN WINS, but your analysis forgot to mention the impact of BADGER JOEL MACTURI or PREXY B! ;)

Wren seems to believe that Jerry Kill is either too complex or mysterious to understand. Therefore we should wait until he has prerequisite number of Big Ten wins before we draw any conclusions about him. Wren is certainly right that we can’t say for sure whether he will be able to turn the program around, but unlike Wren I say we do have enough knowledge and history about Jerry Kill to draw some very reasonable conclusions about him.

Wren seems to believe that we really shouldn’t or can’t try to understand Jerry Kill’s actions because we can’t possible know what Jerry is thinking. When I suggested that Gray was the starter even though he had yet to be named the starter, wren said in affect who do I think I am, coach Kill? You just needed to do was listen to what Jerry and his coaches were saying about Gray to realize that he is the starter. In addtion it helps to understand that it is part of coach Kill’s coaching philosophy and strategy is to push the players to continue to strive all the time. Therefore coach Kill doesn’t like to name starters.

The 5TH Down Football guys were able to figure this out when they wrote that “Although Kill has not officially named Gray as the starter heading into summer workouts, the new coach was quick to point out that Gray is ‘certainly the guy going into fall camp.’ The competition will turn up a notch when highly-touted QB Max Shortell enters the picture during summer camp, but it appears that it would take something spectacular happening for Gray to be dethroned prior to Minnesota’s opener at USC.”

Yea, that Jerry is a complicated guy. Therefore we certainly shouldn’t try to read anything into what he says. Besides, that would require that we have some insight and having the ability to reason. Instead let’s all say simple phrases like “It is all about Big Ten wins”. That is how you coach and turn a program around.

The truth wren is that Jerry is not that complicated. Almost everything he says is designed to move the University of Minnesota’s football program in the direction of his vision and his understanding of what it going to take to get there. He is going start by out working, out teaching, and out motivating the competition. He also understands that you need to pay attention to the details for all aspects of a successful program.

Part of this is how you communicate to the program stakeholders. Jerry does it honestly but also uses every opportunity in speaking as a teaching moment. Another words, when he speaks he is doing great more than just communicating information to the stakeholders of the U of M football program. He is changing the culture and preceptions of the Universtiy of Minnesota football program.

I suspect most people are starting to realize this. The classic example of this was how he communicated the academic issues the football team was having this spring. Maybe Sid still doesn’t get it but I suspect a great many others now understand what Jerry was doing and why. Jerry modus operandi is to under promise, over deliver, and to keep people focused on and motivated to achieve his vision. Yes, that is right; we are all being managed by Jerry. I don’t mean this in a negative sense but just opposite. This is why Jerry may be able to do what others have not been able to do, turn the program around.

Hey killjoy: are YOU really Coach Kill??? IF you are NOT killjoy, you had better distance yourself from this killjoy freak really soon. He is trying to speak for you Coach Kill. He's pretty freaked out and is presenting you as a really "slick" character. You probably should put an end to these appearances you make here on GOPHERHOLE using your pseudoname: killjoy. This isn't winning you any prizes around here.

Are you a plain-talking, what you see is what you get kind of person or are you really psycho-babbler-dabbling-shrink-wanna-be guy?

And, by the way killjoy or Coach Kill, which ever you MIGHT be: without enough Big Ten wins, all kinds of people around here have already stated that would not be good. So, since the University of Minnesota is a Big Ten Confrence member, each and every Big Ten win you can get is ALMOST as important as running a completely clean program and graduating ever increasing numbers of student athletes in your...or...in the killjoy's football program (IF this killjoy does happen to be you...or your wife...)

; 0 )

Ole and Others

Thanks Ole for adding a great deal of clarity as to what Kill is all about. Even better, you were able to do it in a lot less words than l was able to do it.

mggoph, MinnMarchDTF, JimmyJamesMD -I am sorry I forgot to mention the impact of BADGER JOEL MACTURI or PREXY B! I just ran out of steam. Wren must have those topics hard wired in his computer.

wren

Seriously, did you forget to take your meds again? Your paranoia is getting out of control.

By the end of October we'll be heavily into counting the Big Ten wins vs Big Ten losses Mrs, Kill...or Coach...or just plain freaked out killjoy. Your liittle padded and locked room must be very comforting to you. What kind of dopolicious sedatives do they feed you? Well killjoy, I'm done with you for now...good bye....

; 0 )

Click ignore

Seriously, did you forget to take your meds again. You paranoia is getting out of control.

It's very apparent you do not like Wren. Many of your 300 posts are evidence of that. Why fuel your fire. Ignore him if you don't like him. I don't see the need to try and whip up the mob.

Personally, I'll read Wren's posts. Sometime's I think he's spot on. Other times, not so much. It's different beliefs.

In support of decency

I have at times I have agreed with Wren/Iamthewalrus. Other times, we politely, or not, so disagree. Other times I ignore him.

On the flip side, I have argued with all of you. Sometimes quite insanely. Other times with passion. Even a few times with authority, although some of you are so arrogant to believe otherwise.

Wren, Killjoy certainly enjoys poking fun at you and often you step right on the mine he lays. Nonetheless, it is full steam ahead for you in your replys.

I just wish the posters around here had half the passion and all the patience that you mostly exhibit.

Just wish you would change your mantra and expand your hyperbole to include more than charging the proverbial windmill at prexyb, macturi, wins, Weber, etc.

This week you opened up a little bit and that was refreshing, to say the least.

Gopher football is best when the wins are more than the losses and I too can't wait for more B1G wins than losses.

Killjoy, the days of just poking fun at Wren for the sake of it should just simply end. It makes GH painful to participate in (not that it matters -- I keep returning no matter how foolish I have been in the past).

wren

By the end of October we'll be heavily into counting the Big Ten wins vs Big Ten losses Mrs, Kill...or Coach...or just plain freaked out killjoy. Your liittle padded and locked room must be very comforting to you. What kind of dopolicious sedatives do they feed you? Well killjoy, I'm done with you for now...good bye....

; 0 )

Since you are not capable of understanding what is going on with the program I not surprised that you think that is important to count the number of wins we have in October. Based on the 1-10 records that both Barry Avarez and Kirk Ferentz had their first season at Wisconsin and Iowa respectively I am sure you would have been calling for their heads. It wasn’t until Barry’s fourth season and Kirk’s third season that they actually had winning records. That is why it is much more meaningful at this point to measure the things that will lead to success down the road instead of Big Ten wins.

As I said to you often, I don’t think you have a clue as to what it takes to turn a program around. Your demand that we count Big Ten wins at this point is nothing more than wing flaps. You may feel good about a lot of flapping going on but it means very little at this point. It is a journey not a sprint.

Everybody is a consultant around here

We will know the timber of coach Kill by how the team performs and who stands at the end of the season. We will know whether there was improvement in the full continuum of stats and we will be able to assess the performance of future starters by their contribution this year. If there is no improvement in performance of notable proportion to our long term goal of a NC, then why bother to sign the upcoming contract. Hand him a resonable amount of compensation and restart the search.

I like Kill as a coach now better than most at this point in their tenure. He is doing exactly what I would hope he should be doing. But, do we know that this is sufficient? Only time will tell me if it is working out. The reason I gave Brew 3 years and Kill 1 is because Coach Kill has vastly more head coaching experience and the total coaching package is a tried and tested one. It is already a cohesive unit. They know what it takes to get it done. So, there is no rebuilding job from a coaching standpoint.

From a player perspective, train to perform, or perish. Coach Kill should grab enough of their attention and time to train sufficient to rise in the Big Ten pecking order right now. Strength and Conditioning and captains drills are what will create the necessary conditions for future championships. Fall practice will not create the team. Today we either have the team on board or not. It is completely up to Kill to put them into a position to succeed right now. If they are trained properly already, we might still yield 2% on performance (speed, strength, agility). If they weren't, we can expect very large gains in performance. Technique comes from repetition.

Did coach Kill truly influence this team or didn't he?

7 months to go...

We need a special "Crazy People" forum on this board.

We need a special "Crazy People" forum on this board.

All we would have are 4 or more "Crazy People" forums.

Crazy People Basketball Forum.
Crazy People Football Forum
Crazy People Other Gopher Sports Forum
Crazy People Off-Topic Board Forum
Crazy People Crazy Comments Forum

It would seem as if Kill is saying/doing all the right things. If he succeeds, great. If not, people will complain about his "Mayberry" routine.

I like his approach to academics, discipline and his overall work ethic. I dislike his mustache, as it puts us in the same league as cops with authority issues and Purdue coaches. Additionally, if he is going to demand excellence in conditioning from his players he should be an example and drop the fat. Everyone knows that fat people don't care about themselves and have cleanliness issues.

Top Bottom