Tubby extension?

EG#9

Reaction score
I think the "U" and/or Tubby's reps have dragged their feet enough on this extension that it might be in the best interest of Minnesota to wait and see how next year pans out. Does it make sense to extend Tubby if he goes 5 years without winning an NCAA tournament game or even finishing above .500 in the Big Ten? I don't think it does.

For recruiting it kind of matters.. I don't see the harm as long as the salary is not bumped significantly.

Everything is in the hands of the attorney's. Expect long delays as they are experts at much ado about nothing.

We had to give Brewster an extension to keep him always at 4 years but it's OK to let Tubby get down to 2? They need to get this done. Especially with Tubby's health concerns, we don't need any signs of waivering commitment. I don't buy the lawyer excuse. It's been over a year now.

The contract should include a significant buyout for the U, but also a significant buyout for Tubby. Let's have a mutual committment or none at all. Tubby's constant job interest hurts recruiting too.

Sad to say, not sure how much it matters. Tubby's age and his record here have pretty much sealed his and our fate. He's well paid here. There probably are some programs out there he would leave Minnesota for. If they really wanted him, the buyout wouldn't be much of a factor. However, those programs aren't going to be interested in Tubby anymore. Pretty telling that when Maryland opened up, there was very little concern here because people just figured they'd find coaches more attractive than Tubby. Programs that would want Tubby aren't attractive to him because it seems like he's not ready to take on another rebuilding job.

Not even sure it makes a whole lot of difference in recruiting either. Would think pretty much any Minnesota kid is still going to come here partly because of Tubby. Also, IMO, pretty much any top national recruit isn't going to look at Minnesota and think, "Wow, Tubby Smith is the coach there and I can play for him!" Been a while since he won that national title, and his reputation as a demanding coach and style of play are a lot more important than how long his contract is for.

He can win big with the Sampson and Hollins level of recruit augmented by the Colemans and Whites of Minnesota. But he's got to keep them so they develop as a team and those recruits have all got to improve. So far, the stability and the improvement are lacking.

Still think he's a good coach, and I'm glad we have him. Just seems the national perceptions of Minnesota and our own perceptions of ourselves don't match up sometimes.

We had to give Brewster an extension to keep him always at 4 years but it's OK to let Tubby get down to 2? They need to get this done. Especially with Tubby's health concerns, we don't need any signs of waivering commitment. I don't buy the lawyer excuse. It's been over a year now.

First, Tubby has 3 years left on his deal heading into next year. Not great to be down to 3, but slightly better than 2.

I know we've debated this before, and in general I think we agree - something should have happened by now.

But, we don't know much about the negotiations, other than we do know that there's been an extension offer on the table for over a year now. For whatever reason, Tubby has chosen no to sign it. Why? Who knows?

I mean, what if the U has offered a 5-year, $10 million extension with raises for all the assistants, better travel, and a few other perks??? But, Tubby says he wants a written guarantee on a practice facility or wants to have Saul written in as 'coach-in-waiting' or is demanding 7-years and $15 million? Then, what do you do if you're Joel? Do you up the ante and agree to meet those demands from Tubby? Or, do you stand pat and say your offer is on the table? Tougher call at that point, agree?

And, again, I have no idea what is happening, I'm just suggesting we may not be able to lay all the blame on the lawyers or on Maturi. We just don't know what Tubby is asking for, but since he hasn't signed the deal, he clearly wants more than is on the table. And, maybe Maturi is low-balling the extension, but I highly doubt it. It seems more likely that Tubby is demanding 'something' that Joel just can't promise at this point. What that is, who knows?

First, Tubby has 3 years left on his deal heading into next year. Not great to be down to 3, but slightly better than 2.

I know we've debated this before, and in general I think we agree - something should have happened by now.

But, we don't know much about the negotiations, other than we do know that there's been an extension offer on the table for over a year now. For whatever reason, Tubby has chosen no to sign it. Why? Who knows?

I mean, what if the U has offered a 5-year, $10 million extension with raises for all the assistants, better travel, and a few other perks??? But, Tubby says he wants a written guarantee on a practice facility or wants to have Saul written in as 'coach-in-waiting' or is demanding 7-years and $15 million? Then, what do you do if you're Joel? Do you up the ante and agree to meet those demands from Tubby? Or, do you stand pat and say your offer is on the table? Tougher call at that point, agree?

And, again, I have no idea what is happening, I'm just suggesting we may not be able to lay all the blame on the lawyers or on Maturi. We just don't know what Tubby is asking for, but since he hasn't signed the deal, he clearly wants more than is on the table. And, maybe Maturi is low-balling the extension, but I highly doubt it. It seems more likely that Tubby is demanding 'something' that Joel just can't promise at this point. What that is, who knows?

Maybe. But why has Jerry Kill not signed his contract yet? Why hasn't Lucia signed his extension yet? What do they all have in common except their bumbling boss and his band of merry lawyers? Why does every other school get its coach's contract extensions done in days? Do they not engage in negotations and ask for things too?

howeda7, I do think there's a difference between Brewster's extension and the type of extension Tubby would sign. The Brewster extension did not increase his buyout at all, so the U wasn't really risking anything by extending him. I can't imagine Tubby signing a contract extension that would not increase his buyout.

I think it's time for Tubby to start showing a little more and I'd rather not extend the financial obligation out any farther until he does.

Dr Don ----- Is not a basketball fan or knows anything about basketball ---- He played Soccer and Tennis in HS and College

Extend him, one bad year is not a trend. I would think 4 more years with equivalent dollar buyouts for the U or Tubby if either decides to terminate the contract.

Top Bottom