Sid: Gophers to have home-and-home with a Pac 12 team starting this year!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Sid with quite a few Gopher hoops tid-bits:

"The agent for Gophers men's basketball coach Tubby Smith and the University of Minnesota attorneys are still in the negotiation stage of a two-year extension. Smith has a $2 million buyout if he left under his current contract, which has three years to go. But the new contract isn't likely to have a buyout if Smith decides to leave. ... and will be eligible this fall."

"Good news for the Gophers men's basketball team and Smith in that every player passed on his spring semester grades. ... Look for the Gophers' schedule to include a home-and-home opponent from the Pacific-12 Conference that begins this season. ... Blake Hoffarber, who hopes to play in Europe this season, worked out for the Timberwolves along with former Gophers teammate Paul Carter. Hoffarber plans to head to Las Vegas for workouts this summer. ... Dominique Dawson, a Gophers walk-on the past two years, left because he was given a full ride by Division II Kentucky Wesleyan."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/122698974.html

Go Gophers!!

Hope it's UW! I have a lot of friends in the Seattle area so I'd probably go out there for the game.

I would bet that it won't be Oregon or Cal as no reason for Devoe and Cobbs, respectively, to give any additional intel on the team than need be.

Go Gophers!!

I would love for it to be Oregon but I would hate to have to watch an entire game on that horrific basketball court.

A home and home with UCLA would be pretty cool. I'd prefer to see Arizona for personal reasons, but to have UCLA visit the Barn would be a great reward for all of you season ticket holders who have been "treated" to some very poor non conference schedules in recent years.

I fear this Pac 10 home and home will be with someone like Oregon State, Washington State, or Colorado.

Football team has a home and home set up in the future, not sure if that would make it more or less likely the basketball team would set something up with them. Probably no effect at all.

I would love it to be Cal or Stanford. Only because half of my high school friends are Cal or Stanford fans and it would make for a good road trip excuse! Hopefully we are not being prey to another Sid trap...and its actually true.

I fear this Pac 10 home and home will be with someone like Oregon State, Washington State, or Colorado.

Fear? Compared to our typical home schedule and due to the uncertainty surrounding how this current Gopher team will perform, any of those games would be great.

Fear? Compared to our typical home schedule and due to the uncertainty surrounding how this current Gopher team will perform, any of those games would be great.

I agree. Sure I hope it's UCLA or Arizona too. But I'll be glad that we added anyone at this point.

Assuming that Sid has good info, then my money is on USC, an NCAA tourney team from this past year.

I don't think any of those games "move the meter" at all and are also unlikely to provide the Gophers with a quality win. I agree that any Pac 10 opponent is better than another game with a smaller conference foe.

It won't be UCLA -- they've already released their schedule -- and I'm pretty certain it won't be USC or Arizona. Those schools have pretty much released their entire schedules.

I would like it to be Arizona State, the other D1 team that I follow closely. I live in Phoenix and am a Sun Devils season ticket holder. Tubby and Herb Sendeck are former associates and good freinds. I doubt it will be ASU however, because the two schools could likely meet in the Old Space Classic on Thanksgiving weekend and I don't think they would set up a situation where they could play the same team twice in the pre-conference schedule.

I'd love for the Gophers to have that non-conference schedule.

I'm also hoping for Cal because I've got a friend going to grad school out there. It would be a good time to plan my visit.

I think Arizona State now is a distinct possibility. I forgot that Herb Sendek and Tubby are good friends. Both of them were on Rick Pitino's staff in his early years at Kentucky.

I doubt it is Arizona State because we could play them in the Old Spice Classic this upcoming year.

Process of elimination

After checking all the Pac 12 & various other web sites, it's safe to determine that the Gophers' Pac 12 opponent (if Grandpa Sid can be trusted at all) will not be:

1. Arizona State (Sun Devils in Old Spice Classic field with Gophers)
2. UCLA (Bruins' schedule is complete)
3. Washington (U-Dub's schedule is complete)

Possible:
1. Arizona (Wildcats have 3 open dates, all expected to be played in Tucson)
2. USC (Men of Troy have 2 open dates in early December, 1 at home & 1 on the road)

Most likely will be:
1. Cal
2. Colorado
3. Oregon
4. Oregon State
5. Stanford
6. Utah
7. Wazzu

Cal & Oregon would be the most desirable of those 7. Both are expected to be in the top 4-5 of the Pac 12 in 2011-12.

After checking all the Pac 12 & various other web sites, it's safe to determine that the Gophers' Pac 12 opponent (if Grandpa Sid can be trusted at all) will not be:

Possible:
2. USC (Men of Troy have 2 open dates in early December, 1 at home & 1 on the road)

Most likely will be:
1. Cal
2. Colorado
3. Oregon
4. Oregon State
5. Stanford
6. Utah
7. Wazzu

Cal & Oregon would be the most desirable of those 7. Both are expected to be in the top 4-5 of the Pac 12 in 2011-12.

And both include former Gophers.

Possible:

Most likely will be:
1. Cal
2. Colorado
3. Oregon
4. Oregon State
5. Stanford
6. Utah
7. Wazzu

Not that anyone cares, but I'm sticking with my prediction of USC.

Not that anyone cares, but I'm sticking with my prediction of USC.

Charley Walters says Don't be surprised if the Gophers men's basketball team schedules Southern California or UCLA for the coming season.

Charley Walters says Don't be surprised if the Gophers men's basketball team schedules Southern California or UCLA for the coming season.

That's most likely an echo you're hearing.

Top Bottom