Brian Kelly "very interested" in playing the Gophers

Brian Kelly interested in playing the Gophers...

Great. But what team will he be coaching after ND cans him?

Notre Dame can be kind of a scary team to schedule for the U. Notre Dame already likes to recruit this area and if they turn themselves around a little bit, it would be sort of like inviting another tOSU into our recruiting grounds.

I am not so sure it would be in our best interests to add NEbraska and Notre Dame to our schedules (and likely deeper into our in state recruiting).

I think it would be great if it works out. I understand the recruiting concern, but what about a win in south bend on NBC? That would surely help recruiting. I like the format of 1 tough nonconference game with 3 "should win" games.

I think it would be great if it works out. I understand the recruiting concern, but what about a win in south bend on NBC? That would surely help recruiting. I like the format of 1 tough nonconference game with 3 "should win" games.

See that's my issue with Notre Dame Clark, a win over them wouldn't really carry a ton of weight. It seems like Big 10 teams are beating Notre Dame somewhat regularily. So I guess my point is that having Notre Dame come into the state of MN and beat the Gophers is a bigger risk than the benefit of beating them would generate.

I like that format too Clark, I just don't like it when our one "tough" one was a school in the midwest who already recruits the state of MN pretty hard. I'd be fine with just about any Pac 10, SEC, ACC school.....Notre Dame, that's an influence that I would prefer to stay away from.

Big Ten teams may be beating them regularly, but the gophers are not. The perception of the two schools is drastically different, instate and around the country. We currently lose instate talent to ND and we are not playing them, maybe playing them and beating them will help us keep the talent. A competitive loss to them may not have any effect on the recruiting situation. I believe that beating ND, or any top team, would be a good thing for the program, so in my opinion it is worth the risk.

Minnesota has played Notre Dame five times, and the Gophers are 0-4-1. They played the Irish in the listed years with results:

1925 Notre Dame 19 Minnesota 7

1926 Notre Dame 20 Minnesota 7

1927 Notre Dame 7 Minnesota 7

1937 Notre Dame 7 Minnesota 6

1938 Notre Dame 19 Minnesota 0

Three of the five games were played in Memorial Statium and two in South Bend.

Knute Rockne was the Irish coach in the first three games, and Bernie Bierman was coaching the Gophers in the last two.

Go Gophers!!

Attached photo from UofM archives shows Knute Rockne at Memorial Stadium. I for one, being a Gopher fan first, and an Irish fan second, would love to see the matchup. Many of us in my generation grew up watching Notre Dame football highlights on Sunday mornings, an hour long condensed version of the games, narrated by Lindsey Nelson. I watched the broadcasts of a TV station from Fargo, ND. Such was the reach of Irish football in those days.

Attachments

• Knute Rockne and ND vs Minn at Memorial Stadium.jpg
    Knute Rockne and ND vs Minn at Memorial Stadium.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 48

I love to hate Notre Dame, I actually DVR their games and watch them to root against them. I hope we can get them on the schedule.

I don't really think one game vs. Nortre Dame would make or break recruiting. I don't think many 18 year old kids are sitting at home and see Notre Dame come to Minnesota and possibly beat the Gophers and all of a sudden think, "Wow what was I thinking? I am going to Notre Dame now."

IMO Notre Dame is insulated locally by the lack of college football coverage in this market.
They are able to recruit here because of their tradition, as they can nationally.
Expose them locally by playing them and either beating them or even playing tough, and you may take some shine off their reputation, as the freshest thing in people's minds will be the recent game against the gophers where "they didn't look that great". Get blown out and you'll likely increase their rep here, but probably no further than what many in this town already think of them.

The Cretin pipeline to them really bothers me though. How the coaches there can talk about supporting the U and gopher football out of one side of their mouth and then send many of their top kids to ND and seemingly get away with it sucks. Let's hope Kill can help end that sad and frustrating tradition.

Let's play em, beat em, and build that recruiting wall around our state!

All ND has to do is join the big 10. Then we can play them. If they don't, their fighting Irish should be treated the same as the fighting Sue and they should not be on our schedule as a OOC team.

The logic of some people. We haven't played Notre Dame in most posters lifetimes, and they consistently take our top recruits, and you're worried about playing them now because it might aid their recruiting? I can't think of a minnesota kid in the last 20 years that had a ND offer that stayed home.

IMO Notre Dame is insulated locally by the lack of college football coverage in this market.
They are able to recruit here because of their tradition, as they can nationally.
Expose them locally by playing them and either beating them or even playing tough, and you may take some shine off their reputation, as the freshest thing in people's minds will be the recent game against the gophers where "they didn't look that great". Get blown out and you'll likely increase their rep here, but probably no further than what many in this town already think of them.

The Cretin pipeline to them really bothers me though. How the coaches there can talk about supporting the U and gopher football out of one side of their mouth and then send many of their top kids to ND and seemingly get away with it sucks. Let's hope Kill can help end that sad and frustrating tradition.

Let's play em, beat em, and build that recruiting wall around our state!

Cretin kids going to Notre dame do so because of religion. Nothing more, nothing less. Religion.

Cretin kids going to Notre dame do so because of religion. Nothing more, nothing less. Religion.

I seriously hope you are joking and my sarcasm detector is just broke. So Michael Floyd went there because he is such a devout and die-hard Catholic. It wouldn't have anything to do with tons of national exposure and an amazing education to go along with it. Also a huge alumni network that opens doors later in life might be a strong selling point.

Bob is right. We have a very hard time keeping our top kids away from ND. Playing them increases their presence here. Beating them means little because they're perceived as 'down' right now and with the BTN and ESPN almost all of our games are nationally televised already. I see little upside to this matchup

Bob is right. We have a very hard time keeping our top kids away from ND. Playing them increases their presence here. Beating them means little because they're perceived as 'down' right now and with the BTN and ESPN almost all of our games are nationally televised already. I see little upside to this matchup

I don't know.
At what point is the perception of them being 'down' become simply that they are not what they used to be? They've been god-awful for a very long while now. If Kelly doesn't win big sooner rather than later they'll be moving on again.
Nebraska hasn't yet recovered from it's perceived 'down' period, they're quality and a top 25 program, but certainly not where they used to be.
The pro sports market of the TC doesn't shine much of a harsh light onto ND's poor showing lately, if they come in and stumble a few games, even by winning in the process, I think it makes them seem less than what their tradition and rep has been and still is here due to lack of coverage and discussion in the local sports scene.
Then again, top football kids will go there for religion no matter what.:rolleyes:

How many of you have ever set foot upon the Notre Dame...

Campus? How does their undergraduate academic reputation look? How many kids want to go away to college? What is the price tag on a year of tuition, room and board at Notre Dame?

Notre Dame has a pretty nice total package when they start offering scholarships. As do some other places such as Northwestern, Stanford, and a few other places. Especially IF the perspective student athlete is a pretty well-prepared soon to be high school graduate.

The U of M needs student athletes who really DO want to be student athletes at the U of M. There are some very nice things about the U of M too. It all depends on what the individual kid REALLY WANTS. There is more to it all than just football, and and some kids are able to sort through the process very well when left to their own devices.

There is so much fear, paranoia, jealousy, envy and mostly lack of self esteem around this board some times. The University of Minnesota has plenty of incredible things to offer. It IS different than Michigan, OSU, PSU, iowa, wisky, Nebraska NU and all the rest of the Big Ten schools. It IS different than Notre Dame.

Don't be so lacking in self confidence.

I hope that EVERY perspective student athlete finds a perfect fit...or...at least knows how to make the school they pick a perfect fit for them. Hell, IF every Minnesota kid who might get a scholarship offer from a d-1 school wanted a scholarship from Minnesota, we wouldn't have enogh scholarships to go around...AND...then some of you people would actually want to offer scholarships to kids from states OTHER than Minnesota... You can't get them all...you can't keep them all....and not everything goes your way. You win some and you lose some. Just learn how to COACH 'EM UP!!!!!

Wow! What a bunch of silly-little control freaks we are around here sometimes...
; 0 )

Maybe this board needs a sarcasm color for everybody to follow.

Lets useGREEN.

Thank you.

I agree there is no way the Cretin kids are going to Notre Dame because of their religion.

The logic of some people. We haven't played Notre Dame in most posters lifetimes, and they consistently take our top recruits, and you're worried about playing them now because it might aid their recruiting? I can't think of a minnesota kid in the last 20 years that had a ND offer that stayed home.

I think there were one or two.

Please don't break out laughing when I write this: but wasn't Chuck Rios a big-time recruit?

This is the funniest thing I've ever read.
What percent of d1 football players from cretin are catholic?
Over under 60% I'll take the under.

What percent of notre dame football players are catholic?
Over under 45% I'll take the under.

While Cretin kids do not have a tendency to go to ND because of religion exactly, you cannot ignore the Catholic to Catholic aspect. As a product of K-12 Catholic schooling before coming to the U there is certainly a trend of Catholic high school kids going to Catholic colleges. Both the Valedictorian and the Salutatorian of my class went to ND. You can also see it in the fact that such large groups of graduates of Catholic high schools end up at St. Thomas, St. John's/St. Ben's, and St. Mary's. While it may not be due to religion per se, the affiliation of the school is a factor you cannot disregard. If they like the Catholic school aspect of Cretin, they will be more likely to go ND, regardless of their personal religion. And from my experience, most people do tend to like large aspects unique to Catholic schools even if they are not Catholic themselves.

While Cretin kids do not have a tendency to go to ND because of religion exactly, you cannot ignore the Catholic to Catholic aspect. As a product of K-12 Catholic schooling before coming to the U there is certainly a trend of Catholic high school kids going to Catholic colleges. Both the Valedictorian and the Salutatorian of my class went to ND. You can also see it in the fact that such large groups of graduates of Catholic high schools end up at St. Thomas, St. John's/St. Ben's, and St. Mary's. While it may not be due to religion per se, the affiliation of the school is a factor you cannot disregard. If they like the Catholic school aspect of Cretin, they will be more likely to go ND, regardless of their personal religion. And from my experience, most people do tend to like large aspects unique to Catholic schools even if they are not Catholic themselves.

And don't discount the influence of the parents as well. My next door neighbors are a strong Catholic family whose oldest sons all played football for Cretin. None were good enough to play DI but they all played for Catholic D3 colleges. Now their youngest son looks like he might have the potential to go DI. If he turns out to be good enough to get an offer from Notre Dame his mother and father will put huge pressure on him to go there. Not because of ND's football history but because it is a highly rated Catholic University. Religion is still important to a lot of people. The U won't even get a second look from them. If you don't grow up in that kind of family you will never understand it.

How many of you have ever set foot upon the Notre Dame Campus...

And have you, Wren? The campus is not more impressive than Duke, BC, Stanford, Cal, Northwestern or Minnesota (Stanford is not my thing, but some people might like the Spanish influenced architecture). There is nothing outside the campus of notre dame. South Bend is a vanilla city. Most of the cities around there are just waiting for the last person to leave to turn out the lights.

Oh yeah...I've been there a few times...

You can have your opinion and hate all you wish, but, I'd say it was a pretty "wow" place.

But, what ever you say...you can have your impressions of places...because they are your impressions. I'll have mine.

Hell, unregistered...if you think Notre Dame's Campus sucks...well...you and I have REALLY different ideas. That's fine. You have your ideas and I'll have mine. But, I have always been impressed each and every time I have been on the Notre Dame Campus. MUCH more so than a LOT of other campus settings such as Northwestern, Michigan, THE Ohio State, iowa, wisky, MSU, Purdue, Illinois and even MINNESOTA... Vanderbilt... Tulane colleges and universities large and small are all different in person than what I have expereinced and what I have seen about Notre Dame. I don't know about Duke, because I haven't been there or at places such as Harvard, Yale or Princeton. Not UCLA or EVEN Texas Tech or Texas El Paso (WINK, WINK, WINK...joke) It is just really unique, when compared to any college or university that I have experienced visiting. There is a real presence and a LOT of tradition on that ND Campus. And I have never...not even ONCE rooted for Notre Dame in a football game. I always hope that they lose in football. In fact, they NEED lots of football fans just like me to always root against them and feel passionate about hoping the Fighting Irish always lose in football. People like me just give their passionate fans a reason to be even more passionate about the Fighting Irish and feel as though they are taking on the whole world! That's kind of how they like things. That's kind of how they unify, I think. They really do appreciate all the efforts of all of us who root passionately against them. It bands them together...puts their backs against the wall. They have been going through tough times in football. They will need to do something to have some real success again...Michigan, if they continue to struggle will be in the same boat as Notre Dame in that regard. They can NOT afford too long a down-turn. But, they both have a lot of "TRUE BELIEVER" type fans...especially Notre Dame. All across the nation. A "short walk in the wilderness..." is something both Michigan and Notre Dame could fairly easily recover from though because of their fan base and their resources when it comes to football...

But that campus...WOW! Yes, I DO like their school, their campus and their attitude. Walking through the various QUADS that make up that campus has just got a different feel to me from virtually any college or university I have ever visited. Realizing that when a student attends Notre Dame, they become a four year resident in ONE dorm...they stay there throughout their four years at ND. I've never seen a school that had quite as much tradition. Now, are they the best University in the country academically? Of course not. Rather than being a reasearch, graduate school factory, they are more all about undergraduate programs and some professional schools. They don't have a Medical School. But, they are very good at what they do. The faculty and the Administration all know WHO they are...WHAT they are...and HOW they are. They expect the students to take that into consideration when they consider being accepted at Notre Dame. They tell ALL perspective students that they should carefully consider all their options and to be certain that IF they are accepted and IF they decide to attend Notre Dame that those students understand Who Notre Dame is , What Notre Dame is and How Notre Dame is. (Not so much humility in that part of the selection process, but, I really do kind of like that about Notre Dame. I think MORE colleges and university staff and administrators should be thinking more in those kinds of terms of "endearment..." to their schools.) There are so many traditions all around that campus. That school just has a very different feel to it. I realize that wouldn't be for everyone. I kind of like that though.

You like the places you like and I'll like the places I like and we'll both do JUST fine...

But, I still say: when you put together the academics, the cost of tuition, room and board and all kinds of other things that go into putting a value on a football scholarship, a full-ride to Notre Dame just might be a fairly hard one to turn down. It's certainly one of the top ten out there. Re: their football program, they realize that a great deal of the growth and tradition and resources came to their school BECAUSE of their football program. They will always play the Armed Forces Acadamies becuase (especially Army and Navy) maintained series and games with them when they were struggling to make an identity for both their University and their football program. During the World Wars...especially the 2nd World War, they were a training campus for Military Officers...as were many university settings...with Michigan being one. The money the University got during hard economic times helped keep the doors of the University open and growing. There is a sense of history in so many things they do around that place. And, they like who they are, what they are and how they are... ; 0 ) They NEVER did abandon their football program and kick that program off campus when the going got a little tough. In fact, they realize that part of who, what and how they are has a bit of it's roots in that football program. Unlike administrators here at the University of Minnesota, the Good Fathers at the University of Notre Dame have managed to see the worth in how their football program has helped their University to grow, prosper and thrive.

And, Duke might be a pretty nice place...but...if you were serious about your football...it certainly wouldn't be a top pick. Now, if you cared more about the academics and atmosphere and put a cost value on the scholarship package, Duke might be pretty nice.

But, if you say Notre Dame sucks, you are certainly entitled to your opinion... I agree the U of M is very nice...virtually all of the Big Ten campus settings are pretty nice. I like the U of M better than a number of the Big Ten campus settings.

Sorry though unregistered dude or dudette, which ever your case may be...it is entirely possibly that you and I have entirely different tastes and that we each define tradition differently. That's a damn good thing as far as I'm concerned!!!!!!!

BUT, the thing is, unregistered dude or dudette: it's those gosh, gol-darned, hard to please hot-shot football recruits that have to be impressed with the place. Neither you or I will turn the head of too many of the football coaches from those hotsey-totsey campus settings like Notre Dame, Stanford, NU, Duke, OR Minnesota, will we? Who the heck knows what impresses a high school football star?????

As for me, I'm a University of Minnesota Golden Gopher Football Fan. But, when I see the way the administrators at the University of Notre Dame have held high the history of their school and their football program and how they also know WHO they are, How they are and WHAT they are in everything they do, I really wonder why the hell the administrators at the University of Minnesota have not managed to catch that spirit...that confidence and that ATTITUDE?????
; 0 )

Another unbelievable comment by wren

CWCWCW and Oneoldgopher - The two of you recently expressed to me your dislike at the way I comment to and about wren. My question to the two of you is how can you defend this guy after reading his 1:28 pm response to Unregistered User?

From his response to User it is clear that he didn’t even take the time to comprehend what User was saying to him. Instead, he posted another one of his exceedingly long diatribes.

This inability or unwillingness to understand what is being said to him happens over and over. How many times has wren gone berserk after people have made legitimate comments about Adam Weber?

As long as Wren continues to behave the way he does he deserves everything he gets. That the reason why he has been banned from several blogs before including this one. He brings it on himself.

Top Bottom