Homecoming vs. Nebraska to be at 2:30 CT on ABC

Yes! The home schedule this year is outstanding...and now our tailgating/game prep schedule keeps improving too. Nice that Homecoming will be an afternoon kick - how many years has it been since we could say that? And a whole morning/early afternoon of tailgating, parades, etc. before the Nebraska game? Very exciting.

Kip-Yesss-napoleon-dynamite-387.gif

All good except for the ABC part.

:confused: Okay, I've been up for five hours so that might explain it but that sailed way over my head. :eek:

Potential headache for folks not in B1G footprint, that's all. Not sure ABC/ESPN's handling of the regional ABC games is clear yet with all of the new conracts with the PAC 10, etc. Having to watch games on 'ESPN3' sucks.

All good except for the ABC part.

I was way off base when I stepped into this discussion when it came to night games so I do so here with trepidation. But I almost positive that in the 2:30 slot the B1G contract with ABC/ESPN calls for every ABC game to be simulcast on an actual ESPN channel (not ESPN3 only) for the 2:30 games. It was my certainty about this that got me all confused with night games. :)

Potential headache for folks not in B1G footprint, that's all. Not sure ABC/ESPN's handling of the regional ABC games is clear yet with all of the new conracts with the PAC 10, etc. Having to watch games on 'ESPN3' sucks.

Nebraska doesn't play on ESPN 3(the certainly didn't leave the Big 12 to play on ESPN 3). The PAC10 contract doesn't start with ESPN until 2012-2013.

I was way off base when I stepped into this discussion when it came to night games so I do so here with trepidation. But I almost positive that in the 2:30 slot the B1G contract with ABC/ESPN calls for every ABC game to be simulcast on an actual ESPN channel (not ESPN3 only) for the 2:30 games. It was my certainty about this that got me all confused with night games. :)

It's been that way in the past, I wouldn't assume it will be going forward. ESPN/ABC have a lot more Pac 10 games to show now and may not be able to accomodate it. If the B1G wants to get ESPN to let them not have 11 AM CST kick-offs they may have to give up something small, like 'mirroring' ABC games on ESPN.

Edit: I see someone indicates the Pac 10 deal doesn't start this year. So perhaps it will stay the same. I hope so. And I hope DirecTV doesn't dump them on a crappy standard def. alternate channel.

Nebraska doesn't play on ESPN 3(the certainly didn't leave the Big 12 to play on ESPN 3). The PAC10 contract doesn't start with ESPN until 2012-2013.

Not sure I get your point? Obviously they would be on ABC in most of 'Husker Territory.' Nebraska is 'too good' to play an ABC regional game? They played in many such games in the Big 12.

It's been that way in the past, I wouldn't assume it will be going forward. ESPN/ABC have a lot more Pac 10 games to show now and may not be able to accomodate it. If the B1G wants to get ESPN to let them not have 11 AM CST kick-offs they may have to give up something small, like 'mirroring' ABC games on ESPN.

Edit: I see someone indicates the Pac 10 deal doesn't start this year. So perhaps it will stay the same. I hope so. And I hope DirecTV doesn't dump them on a crappy standard def. alternate channel.

As you note, this would seemingly only be an issue if the contracts are renegotiated to make it so. Right now my understanding was that it ESPN is bound by the contract to mirror the ABC game on a 4 letter controlled channel. If that's the case then adding the Pac-12 doesn't have anything to do with it other than possibly forcing the mirror game beyond ESPN/Deuce down to U or Classic (again, if allowed by the contract).

Not sure I get your point? Obviously they would be on ABC in most of 'Husker Territory.' Nebraska is 'too good' to play an ABC regional game? They played in many such games in the Big 12.

I think he's saying IHO they're too good to get relegated to ESPN3 if they are playing a B1G opponent.

I think he's saying IHO they're too good to get relegated to ESPN3 if they are playing a B1G opponent.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the way it works is that the game would be on ABC in the Nebraska and Minnesota areas but if you live in the northwest, northeast, southeast, etc. then you'd have to go to ESPN360 (online streaming) to get the game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the way it works is that the game would be on ABC in the Nebraska and Minnesota areas but if you live in the northwest, northeast, southeast, etc. then you'd have to go to ESPN360 (online streaming) to get the game.

Unless something major changed with the conference's TV contract you're incorrect. The game would be on ABC in the Midwest and on ESPN or ESPN2 everywhere else. I'm sure it is available online via ESPN3 as well, but that isn't the only mirror source for the afternoon ABC games.

That not true, the game will be shown in the Big Ten markets, the game will be on ESPN or ESPN2 for the rest of the country. Big Ten does reverse mirror with games on ABC, they usally put those games on ESPN for the rest of the country.

Appreciate the giffage in this thread. This place needs to be livened up a little bit.
Changsnap.gif

A few more hours of tailgating! WOOHOOO!!!!!!!

D52V2904-x365.jpg

That not true, the game will be shown in the Big Ten markets, the game will be on ESPN or ESPN2 for the rest of the country. Big Ten does reverse mirror with games on ABC, they usally put those games on ESPN for the rest of the country.
Are you sure that's always the case? I think it depends on what other games are played on ABC/ESPN. For example, last season I had to watch the Nebraska v. Okie St. game on ESPN3. ABC played Wisconsin @ Iowa, but the reverse mirror game on ESPN was Ga Tech @ Clemson.

As for as this game, I love the 2:30 p.m. time slot. "Can't Wait!" -Bart Scott

Thanks for the corrections. Now that I think about it, that sounds correct that the main game for the region is on ABC and the other games are on ESPN and ESPN 2.

Except SEC on CBS and Notre Dame on NBC.

Boy, I am sure glad we got that cleared up.

Are you sure that's always the case? I think it depends on what other games are played on ABC/ESPN. For example, last season I had to watch the Nebraska v. Okie St. game on ESPN3. ABC played Wisconsin @ Iowa, but the reverse mirror game on ESPN was Ga Tech @ Clemson.

As for as this game, I love the 2:30 p.m. time slot. "Can't Wait!" -Bart Scott

All the conferences don't have the same "mirror" deals as the B1G. The Pac-10 didn't even have a deal in place to mirror ABC games at all until they got their new commish this past year.

Here's a link to the B1G TV appearances last season. Every conference game on ABC @ 2:30 is listed with an ESPN/ESPN2 mirror except for the 11/20 Iowa/OSU game. Don't know if that is a typo, if there was no mirror, or if it got national play (unlikely).

Here is a map of how things looked for the 11/13 games. They typically put a map like this out each week, though they aren't always easy to find online.

Top Bottom