Athlon ranks Kill hiring as nation's best

Jike Spingleton

Traveling Champ
Reaction score
Apologies if already posted elsewhere, but I glanced through the Athlon preview at the newsstand yesterday and saw they ranked Minnesota's hiring of Jerry Kill as the best coaching hire of the offseason. Though they did say winning a Big Ten title at the U of M would be a tall order for anyone, they believe he will win consistently.

Weird year for hiring.

In hindsight...who would we have landed if we'd whiffed on Kill? (Shudder)

When looking at the other schools, the associated prestige with those schools and who they ended up hiring...all things being considered I think they are right. Both Michigan and Miami should have been able to bring in a top tier coach and were unable to. If they were not able to, that in itself makes me feel a lot better about who MN got. And then seeing how Kill and his staff have approached everything suggests they are laying a great foundation for a winning program.

Weird year for hiring.

No kidding! If you evaluate Kill up to this moment, talk to some of the players and high school coaches, he is just what this program needs.

No kidding! If you evaluate Kill up to this moment, talk to some of the players and high school coaches, he is just what this program needs.

So was Brewster according to many people. Let's wait for some results before we crown him. (c)Denny Green

I think Kill will prove to be a solid hire, but everyone (for the most part) loves a new coach, at least until their first game.;)

So was Brewster according to many people. Let's wait for some results before we crown him. (c)Denny Green

Why can't people be optimistic about Kill? Big difference between him and Brewster - one had head coaching experience at the college level coming in as well as a proven plan/system and loyal staff while the other was starting from scratch. From all accounts Kill seems like a wonderful person which also makes him easier to cheer for.:)

In the past he has shown to be able to turn programs around and win. He currently has an impressive 127–73. I know it is in the past and I do agree we have to wait for results.

When looking at the other schools, the associated prestige with those schools and who they ended up hiring...all things being considered I think they are right. Both Michigan and Miami should have been able to bring in a top tier coach and were unable to. If they were not able to, that in itself makes me feel a lot better about who MN got. And then seeing how Kill and his staff have approached everything suggests they are laying a great foundation for a winning program.

I respectfully disagree about the difference between Golden and Hoke. Golden came from a blue-blood program (Penn St.), coached at multiple BCS programs (BC, Penn St., Virginia), was a defensive coordinator at Virginia, and was a hot name for every coaching job that came open. He was young at the time of hire (41), had extensive experience on both sides of the ball (offense as a player, defense as a coach), took a moribund program and turned them into a MAC power in only 5 seasons, and his ascension to a BCS job at some point was inevitable. Miami only hastened the rise by sniping him away before Penn St. had the opportunity to do so. He could have definitely had an equal or better job by waiting if he had chosen that course.

Hoke, on the other hand, played for a MAC school, has never been a coordinator at any level above HS, and was a career DL/LB coach for 20 seasons before his alma mater gave him the call. He left his alma mater as quickly as he had an opportunity for what could be deemed (at best) a lateral move. He has zero experience at any level on the offensive side of the ball. His only qualifications for the Michigan job were that he coached there in the past and wanted the position. Aside from the fact that Michigan is his dream job, he is relatively old for a first-time BCS head coach (52), and he had to take this opportunity because he would be too old if/when it came around again. I don't recall ever hearing his name for any BCS candidacy before this previous hiring cycle.

Frankly, their pedigrees and coaching profiles could hardly be any more different.

Minnesota → hired at or slightly above its perceived prestige

Miami → hired at or slightly below its perceived prestige

Michigan → hired way, way, way below its perceived prestige

I do agree with your overall point, though. Given the vast disparity in current perceived prestige between Minnesota and Miami, Minnesota seems to have made the best hire of the three.

Weird year for hiring.

I am pretty convinced they had a deal with Edsall and he backed out at the last minute. However, Kill was a decent back-up plan (maybe a better fit in the end) and I also shudder to think who might have been 3rd on the list.

Just to clarify, I'm not negative on the Kill hiring just not going to get caught up in the practices and coach speak that happens every year at this time.

Just to clarify, I'm not negative on the Kill hiring just not going to get caught up in the practices and coach speak that happens every year at this time.

So you don't believe they're gonna work hard, take one game at a time, get better every day, take care of the little things or give 110%? Interesting.

Hoke, on the other hand, played for a MAC school, has never been a coordinator at any level above HS, and was a career DL/LB coach for 20 seasons before his alma mater gave him the call. He left his alma mater as quickly as he had an opportunity for what could be deemed (at best) a lateral move. He has zero experience at any level on the offensive side of the ball. His only qualifications for the Michigan job were that he coached there in the past and wanted the position. Aside from the fact that Michigan is his dream job, he is relatively old for a first-time BCS head coach (52), and he had to take this opportunity because he would be too old if/when it came around again. I don't recall ever hearing his name for any BCS candidacy before this previous hiring cycle.

QUOTE]
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Although not a BCS school, Hoke was HC at a couple of places and did fine. I think that Michigan made an OK hire.

I respectfully disagree about the difference between Golden and Hoke. Golden came from a blue-blood program (Penn St.), coached at multiple BCS programs (BC, Penn St., Virginia), was a defensive coordinator at Virginia, and was a hot name for every coaching job that came open. He was young at the time of hire (41), had extensive experience on both sides of the ball (offense as a player, defense as a coach), took a moribund program and turned them into a MAC power in only 5 seasons, and his ascension to a BCS job at some point was inevitable. Miami only hastened the rise by sniping him away before Penn St. had the opportunity to do so. He could have definitely had an equal or better job by waiting if he had chosen that course.

Frankly, their pedigrees and coaching profiles could hardly be any more different.

Minnesota → hired at or slightly above its perceived prestige

Miami → hired at or slightly below its perceived prestige

Michigan → hired way, way, way below its perceived prestige

I do agree with your overall point, though. Given the vast disparity in current perceived prestige between Minnesota and Miami, Minnesota seems to have made the best hire of the three.

My other point was that really no one had a A list hire...no one was able to lure any of the big names such as Peterson from their current schools.

There are always going to be Pollyanna as well as doomsayers, but I don't recall the reception Brewster got as being so warm. Especially in the media. If you're bored, you can do like I did last fall and start searching the internet for articles and posts about Brewster. The feeling on this board and others was pretty much wait and see, but for sure we have enough talent to get to a bowl (2007). I cringed when I read those posts, but when you think about it, that's the expectation of the average gopher fan after Mason's bowl streak.

Although not a BCS school, Hoke was HC at a couple of places and did fine. I think that Michigan made an OK hire.

Here's how I look at it. I think most would agree that Hoke and Kill are roughly equivalent coaches. They're close to the same age, they both have Division I-A head coaching experience, and Kill's superior record is somewhat mitigaged by Hoke taking over a more downtrodden program and having more DI-A HC experience. If you're a Michigan fan, are you content with hiring a coach that is basically the equal of the coach Minnesota just hired? I didn't think Hoke was worthy of the Minnesota job, let alone the Michigan job. Michigan was concerned with hiring a "Michigan Man" above all else, and because of that they vastly underhired according to their prestige. I don't think the average Michigan fan is accepting of their administration making an "OK hire".

I am pretty convinced they had a deal with Edsall and he backed out at the last minute. However, Kill was a decent back-up plan (maybe a better fit in the end) and I also shudder to think who might have been 3rd on the list.

I think you are right about Edsall. I am glad he backed out. He is a good coach and did a nice job at UConn, but I do not know if his personality and style would fit in as well as here as Kill. This is purely opinion with no facts to back it up. Nevertheless, I am much happier with Kill.

I'm optimistic about Kill's chances, but here's the thing. If Kill can't get it done, who or what will? I hope he wins here, because I think for the sake of our program he'd better win here.

I think you are right about Edsall. I am glad he backed out. He is a good coach and did a nice job at UConn, but I do not know if his personality and style would fit in as well as here as Kill. This is purely opinion with no facts to back it up. Nevertheless, I am much happier with Kill.

I tend to agree. We will get to find out to some degree. I'd say Maryland and Minnesota are roughly similar jobs, although winning the ACC is likely to be a much easier feat.

Why can't people be optimistic about Kill? Big difference between him and Brewster - one had head coaching experience at the college level coming in as well as a proven plan/system and loyal staff while the other was starting from scratch. From all accounts Kill seems like a wonderful person which also makes him easier to cheer for.:)

The naysayers are a profound minority. From my seat, optimism is at a fever pitch right now, and the vast majority of GH posters are really excited about 2011. You are not alone in your feelings of hope. I haven't seen any threads go south when discussing Kill's approach, his demeanor, his staff...

My only qualm with Kill is that he hasn't done anything at the highest level yet. That's not a knock, just a fact. He hasn't had a chance, and we are going to see firsthand how the Jerry Kill approach works in the Big Ten.

Go Gophers!

I'm optimistic about Kill's chances, but here's the thing. If Kill can't get it done, who or what will? I hope he wins here, because I think for the sake of our program he'd better win here.

I have pretty good confidence that Kill can at least get us respectable again at bare minimum, and if he's not able to take it any further and we're seeking more, we SHOULD at least be in better position to maybe go after another high quality coach, maybe one with extensive winning at the BCS level, than we were this time around.

I think Coach Kill has an excellent plan for success. I have no doubt that he wants the students to party and be involved with the whole gamit of game day experiences. The team would be better off if the fans can give them more than a butt in the seat and hands in the pocket approach to participation.

As for the team and victories. We shall see what transpires on the field. From my seat, it is hard to predict how dedicated the team is to prepare, practice, and be mentally and physically ready to challenge other B1G schools. Coach Kill has a very methodical approach to preparation, which would indicate to me a reduction of assignment errors of all types. That in itself would be a great step forward and is progress right now. If Coach Kill is as good at the X's and O's as his record indicates, then we may have the right guy in place to immediately be a game changer for the U. I can not count how many times opposing teams found the mismatch that crushed the Goph's in a single play. Coach Kill talks about resilency. If the team can bring that to the field, any mistakes that occur will not lead to dispair, but a rally point for more effective effort.

If a third of the student body showed up to tailgate for homegames with the alumni, we would have a much more lively crowd going into and coming out of the stadium. Atmosphere can give us a competitive advantage. Right now, I am still hoping that Kill gets his way to close off some blocks around campus to rally the student body.

I think the greatest thing Coach Kill is bringing to the table is his effort to restore the program, not to build the program. I will get excited when I hear that the U is having problems finding parking for all the buses coming from around the state.

My only qualm with Kill is that he hasn't done anything at the highest level yet. That's not a knock, just a fact. He hasn't had a chance, and we are going to see firsthand how the Jerry Kill approach works in the Big Ten.

Go Gophers!

I agree. Let's hope that his plan/system/approach translates well in the Big Ten.

Just think if Minnesota would have hired Mike Leach, Athlons may have ranked Minnesota's hiring as the best in the nation :rolleyes:

This may not fly on internet fan message boards during the preseason, but in the real world this is correct.

Every coach has a system. Every coach has a plan. Every coach talks big about this or that. That's the nature of head coaches.

A lot of Gopher fans are drooling over Kill after spring ball because he acts and says the opposite way and things of Brewster, who they came to hate.

But imagine if you will, what if the previous Gopher HC was a guy who was just like Kill? What if he had the same loyal staff that never changed, preached the same thing about hard work, honor, going to class, etc., always set realistic expectations and was first to blame himself when things didn't go right...yet he still lost too many games?

When the novelty of having a coach like Kill wears off - all that's going to matter are the wins and loses. That's what it always comes down to. Win a lot of games: it doesn't matter what system you run or what you do or say, you're a genius. Lose a lot of games: it doesn't matter what system you run or what you do or say, they'll hate you.

Are you saying that: Big Ten wins matter?

In the end, you are correct, the wins vs the losses will dictate the fate of the coach. ANY kind of a Big Ten win is something to be valued and treasured. This IS a tough gig.

The things that REALLY matter:

Graduate ever increasing numbers of Student Athletes.
Run a completely honest, clean and totally Big Ten/University of Minnesota rules compliant program.
Win a LOT of Big Ten Football games. The NEW standard that the gh posters seem to think should be a Big Ten winning percentage of at LEAST 50% or higher. Many on this board seem to think that should be very easy to achieve. Oh yes, and contend for the top three positions in the conference most of the time and win it all a couple of times a decade.

I fear too many Gopher Fans are a bit out of touch on their expectations.

Welcome Nebraska to the Big Ten Conference in 2011. Things just got a little bit tougher for Coach Kill. But, every challenge IS an opportunity! ; 0 )

From the East...

> Minny got a big jump on more "helmeted" programs by moving early and decisively on Brewster's ineptitude. To his credit, Joel M figured out relatively quickly that a Tubby clone was not available, focused in on the Kill package and most scribblers now praise the hire as a real coup.

> With his NIU record, Kill has already shown an ability to defeat BT competition (Minny included) and with a few more bounces his way, the W/L results might have been even better.

> Kill has a lot more in the tank than Brewster had in his first year. The defense returns most of the talent that defeated two good bowl teams at the end of the season: IL and IA; the offense has a deep pool of experienced/promising running backs and a very dynamic mobile QB; special teams (especially kicking) may be a real bonus in terms of high-level productivity.

> Surprise factor: most view Minny as the "same old, same old" rebuilding story with the same dismal results expected no matter who is at the helm. That perception will endure until the GGs start winning more than losing.

In the meantime, Kill seems to be working daily to change the internal culture of losing and mediocrity, stressing the need to get better at every level, taking a sensible approach to recruiting talent that actually wants to be at Minny and help restore the lost luster and being the state-wide cheerleader the program obviously needs to rejuvenate an apathetic fan base.

All in all, Holers have a lot more reasons to feel positive than negative about the Kill era thus far.
Expectations are rising. If Minny actually surprises USC, this could indeed be a very entertaining season.

So far, it appears that Kill is a good hire but as already mentioned coaches reputation aren't established during Spring Ball.

Now I may be easier to please than some here on the Hole, but this year I just want to see a competent and competitive team on the field that minimizes mental mistakes.

If this is done, wins will follow shortly.

Top Bottom