Richard "Pinky" McNamara Passes Away‏

BleedGopher

Reaction score
From the U:

"Well-known entrepreneur, philanthropist, former University of Minnesota Regent and former Golden Gopher football player Richard “Pinky” McNamara passed away Monday.

From humble beginnings in Hastings, Minnesota, McNamara attended the University of Minnesota on an athletic scholarship and was a three year letter-winner for the Golden Gopher football team. McNamara graduated with a B.A. degree in 1956.

“There are few families whose name is more identified with Gopher Athletics than the McNamaras,” Director of Athletics Joel Maturi said Monday. “Obviously, Pinky has been so generous in his involvement with the university, serving as a regent, and his involvement in athletics, not only with his gifts, but also his presence both in the academic area and the athletic area. He was also incredibly involved with the alumni association and obviously enjoyed much success on the field as
a student-athlete. He befriended me personally on the day I arrived at the University of Minnesota and we developed a relationship and a friendship that was important to me and it's one that I will miss.”

Once he graduated, McNamara applied the patience and persistence he learned as a student-athlete to business and then entrepreneurship. He
found that he loved to turn things around—to buy floundering companies and bring them to their full potential. By 1988 he had founded Activar, an Edina-based umbrella company for 15 such resurrected companies.

Determined to share the fruits of his success, he made numerous gifts in support of improving student life, including the McNamara Academic Center for Student Athletes. In 1997, he received the University’s prestigious Outstanding Achievement Award. McNamara served as a trustee of the University of Minnesota Foundation and was named to the Board of Regents in 2001.

McNamara was responsible for the building of the College of Liberal Arts’ advising center, thanks to his 1992 gift of $3 million to improve undergraduate registration and advising. Six years later, another $10 million gift from McNamara was divided among the U’s College of Liberal Arts, men’s athletics departments, and the alumni center, which bears his name: The McNamara Alumni Center. That $10 million gift was one of the largest ever received by the University of Minnesota.

In addition to giving millions of dollars, McNamara and his brother Bob were instrumental in raising many of the funds necessary for the construction of TCF Bank Stadium. On the gridiron, McNamara lettered in 1954, 1955 and 1956. He led the Gophers in all-purpose yardage during the 1955 season.

A funeral is scheduled for May 31, with complete arrangements yet to be finalized."

Go Gophers!!

R.I.P. Pinky. Gopher fans owe the McNamara family much love.

Heart

I once saw some film of the 1954 team. On one play Pinky threw a lead block to spring the runner and then raced downfield to successfully throw another block and allow the runner to score. He was really something.

R.I.P. Pinky. Gopher fans owe the McNamara family much love.

Hard to argue with that. It's also difficult to come up with any other name of someone as generous to the U with his time and money.

Went from nothing financially to being successful. This guy was driven to be successful in whatever he did. At the same time wasn't a "snob" doing it. Hats off to thee...

Top Bottom