Academic casualty free?

GoAUpher

Section 246
Reaction score
The bad academic situation Jerry Kill inherited with the Gophers football team came out a lot better than he expected after the spring semester. Still, Kill said some players have work to do in the classroom to reach team standards.
A bland, broad statement from Sid that seems to pass along good news.

“Team standards”is a euphemism for performing above and beyond the minimum requirements of U and/or NCAA eligibility, meaning that Kill has raised the expectations bar but isn’t so stubborn as to run players off who did what they needed to do. Is this the first sign of Jerry over-exaggerating a deficiency to get the team to work harder?
MV @ FBT reads this to mean that there were no academic casualties. His logic seems to make sense.

There doesn't appear to be any other articles about this yet. Anyone read something different that I might have missed?

Sorry, have been in meeting all day. Here's the official release from the U of MN:

Latest Academic Progress Report Positive for Gophers

Golden Gopher athletics programs continue to post strong multiyear Academic Progress Rate (APR) scores, according to the seventh round of NCAA APR totals announced by athletics department officials today.

For 2009-10, 21 of Minnesota’s 25 athletic teams recorded scores higher than 965 to rank among what the NCAA considers to be “high performing” teams. It is the second straight year that at least 21 teams have scored above the “high performing” threshold. As a result, the department earned an aggregate single year APR score of 976.8.

The Gophers’ multiyear rates, which include data for the 2006-06, 2007-08, 2008-09 and 2009-10 academic years, are also on solid footing according to the report. All 25 teams scored higher than the NCAA’s 925 cutline that can trigger scholarship reductions, with 24 of 25 programs posting scores better than 950.

“The latest round of APR scores show that we take academic progress and retention seriously at the University of Minnesota,” said Director of Athletics Joel Maturi. “While there is work to be done to develop more consistency in some areas, our student-athletes, coaches, faculty and McNamara Academic Staff should be commended for the academic progress that continues to be made.”

Teams ranking in the high-performing ranges for 2009-10 include baseball (1,000), hockey (989) and wrestling (973) on the men’s side and volleyball (979), basketball (1,000) and hockey (989) on the women’s side.

In addition, men’s gymnastics, men’s tennis, women’s cross country, women’s golf, women’s gymnastics, women’s soccer and women’s swimming & diving all recorded perfect APR scores of 1,000 for 2009-10, with women’s soccer earning a public recognition award for the second straight year for their academic performance.

The strong APR report is the second positive academic measurement for Gopher athletics to be released during the last academic year. During the fall, Minnesota posted a record-high NCAA Graduation Success Rate of 79 percent.

“Academic success and degree completion will always be high-priority items for this department,” Maturi added. “I am pleased that we are able to report strong scores in both the GSR and APR this year.”

APR scores are determined by eligibility and retention for each student-athlete on scholarship during a particular academic year. Student-athletes are awarded one point for each semester they are enrolled and one point for each semester they are eligible for intercollegiate competition. A student-athlete can earn a maximum of four points during an academic year. Additional points are not given for student-athletes that graduate at the end of the semester, but rather the student-athlete is awarded one point for retention and one point for eligibility.

The APR is calculated by taking the number of possible points for a particular sport for the four years and dividing that number by the total number of points earned from student-athlete retention and eligibility over the same period of time. The percentage is then multiplied by 1,000 to obtain the actual multiyear rate used in the report.

The purpose of the APR, according to the NCAA, is to provide a “real-time snapshot” of each team’s academic performance. The NCAA requires teams to maintain a minimum APR of 925 to avoid contemporaneous penalties that include the possibility of losing grant-in-aid for the period of one year if a student-athlete leaves school while academically ineligible. Institutions will not be allowed to award the grant-in-aid from the ineligible student-athlete to a different student-athlete. The contemporaneous penalties will only apply when a team below the 925 cutline does not retain an academically ineligible student-athlete.

The NCAA will release its nationwide APR figures tomorrow. For more information on the APR, please visit the NCAA website at NCAA.org.

University of Minnesota Academic Progress Rate Report – Spring 2011

Men’s Sports – Multiyear Rate/2009-2010 Score

Baseball – 981/1,000

Basketball – 955/863

Cross Country – 978/934

Football – 934/925

Golf – 971/975

Gymnastics – 990/1,000

Hockey – 981/989

Swimming & Diving – 979/990

Tennis – 970/1,000

Track & Field (indoor) – 977/975

Track & Field (outdoor) – 977/975

Wrestling – 961/973

Women’s Sports – Multiyear Rate/2009-2010 Score

Basketball –985/1,000

Cross Country – 992/1,000

Rowing – 988/970

Golf – 984/1,000

Gymnastics – 990/1,000

Hockey – 991/989

Softball – 977/942

Soccer – 1,000/1,000

Swimming & Diving – 970/1,000

Tennis – 993/969

Track & Field (indoor) – 982/977

Track & Field (outdoor) – 983/977

Volleyball – 985/979

Looks like (men's) basketball had far and away the worst 2009-10 APR score among Gopher teams, even worse than football. Yikes.

On the bright side, our 2009-10 basketball APR score (863) was better than UConn's (826), not that UConn should be anyone's measuring stick when it comes to all things APR.

Hard to say what really happened. But I wouldn't doubt if Kill cracked the whip as the program clearly was going down hill. Good job "players."

Kill has been using the media to motivate his players; academics just another example. I like the method.

Mens hoops could be in trouble and may face a loss of scholarship(s) next year if they don't improve. 863 is a very bad score. Transfers are accountable in the formula and Tubby has seen a lot of them under his short tenure.

I was concerned that the football score would dip below the 925 due to the high number of transfers under Brewster and Mason.

I would guess Coach Kill does not like these numbers at all. His NIU squads ranked in the top ten APR in the nation. He is correct when he has stated that there is a lot of work to be done in the classroom. Getting them to class is the first thing and that seems to be going well.

One year shouldn't kill Tubby's squad, but another year like that and yeah, it could be a problem. Their multi-year despite that is still 955 so they're pretty far and clear still.

I'm guessing Kill probably will struggle to ever see top 10 APR type numbers here, just with the way things are in major conferences, but I know he's gonna put a lot of effort in trying to get there, I'm sure.

Was Royce White academically ineligible when he left school? If so he could continue to be a problem for Tubby.

I think the Gary Russell situation was the main factor why the football team lost two scholarships a couple years back.

Looks like (men's) basketball had far and away the worst 2009-10 APR score among Gopher teams, even worse than football. Yikes.

On the bright side, our 2009-10 basketball APR score (863) was better than UConn's (826), not that UConn should be anyone's measuring stick when it comes to all things APR.

Devoe's transfer killed the basketball APR

Devoe's transfer killed the basketball APR

They also lost Cobbs and Paul Carter before the season even started (transfers). I'm not entirely sure how APR's factor in walk ons, but Dawson is transferring and Colton Iverson already has transferred for next season.

Guys I think you all are missing a very important point and I don't think any of the posts so far have addressed the original question. All the APR number are from the 2009-2010 school year. So Kill has had no effect on any of these numbers at this point. These are from Mason's last year through Brewster's third year. So it doesn't shed any light onto how players did this spring regarding grades so there may or may not still be some casualties from that but I really hope not. So while I like what Kill is doing in regards to darn near everything we still don't have any information on if it is working or not.

Also, basketball could be in a ton of trouble because this doesn't include Joseph or Iverson and when you are only talk about 13 guys that can earn points having a couple transfer from a basketball team has a much bigger impact then from the football team, especially if Devoe's grades weren't in good standing. So they could end up with two consecutive years below the 925 which would put them dangerously close to losing a scholarship.

You do not lose a point (i.e., 0/1) just because someone transfers. You can absolutely have many kids transfer and go early to the NBA, yet still have an APR score of 1000.

Well then I guess I misunderstood what retention meant. I thought it implied that they still had to be enrolled in your school and making progress towards graduation until the life of their scholarship was up. But I could be wrong.

You do not lose a point (i.e., 0/1) just because someone transfers. You can absolutely have many kids transfer and go early to the NBA, yet still have an APR score of 1000.

So long as they are above a minimum level of academic standing. This was a good change though. Penalizing schools b/c a kid with good grades transferred or went to the NBA was stupid.

Kill made a comment on KFAN that 49 players or so had above a 3.00 this spring.

There a bit more discussion on the APR in a thread in the Basketball Forum, but with regard to football, the figures from Monday (that are included in this thread) were outdated. The current figures are 935 and 928, respectively (up 1 and 3 points from the Monday articles around town).

Top Bottom