USC Report on ESPN: First, first look: Minnesota

Where do they get their information?

The following is what they said about the offense......."Offense: Minnesota's most talented offensive player is the explosive MarQueis Gray, who spent last season as a receiver behind Weber but came into college as a dual-threat quarterback. He's officially a quarterback again, being converted back to that spot this offseason, but he's yet to secure the No. 1 job. Assuming he does, Gray's running will immediately become a fairly large portion of the Gophers' offense, with talent out at receiver scarce. The best returning receiver there is senior Da'Jon McKnight."

This is quite the opposite what the coaches are saying. This is just another example of the superficial reporting that is very common today.

Wow I didn't know that Tinsley led the team last year with 9 tackles.

@Killjoy
What that says is not untrue. None of the coaches have said Gray will be our starting quarterback game one. While Limegrover has said he is the leader for that spot at the moment and Kill has talked up his work ethic and ability nothing has been set in stone. What is written in that paragraph you pulled up is factually correct.
That said unless Shortell shows up and is amazing Gray would have to be the guy.

Understanding Jerry Kill

@Killjoy
What that says is not untrue. None of the coaches have said Gray will be our starting quarterback game one. While Limegrover has said he is the leader for that spot at the moment and Kill has talked up his work ethic and ability nothing has been set in stone. What is written in that paragraph you pulled up is factually correct.
That said unless Shortell shows up and is amazing Gray would have to be the guy.

One of the reasons I posted this is to see how people would respond to my comment. Some people seem to have a hard time understanding what is behind Jerry’s comments and what the messages are that he is sending his players.

The first is that you have to win the position every day, not at one point in time. This is because Kill wants all his players striving to get better every day.

He has made it very clear that he expects the players to continue to improve this summer. If they don’t, then they are taking a step backwards and have let the team down and can’t be counted on. Kill has said that he wants to see who is willing to pay the price before deciding on who will start. That he said will be answered during fall camp.

He also wants to be able to play multiple players during a game and therefore doesn’t like to use the starter tag too much. The use of multiple players is part of his strategy to win the battle of the fourth quarter by being the strongest team at the end.

Yes, your assessment is correct and you seem to understand that Kill may not have "crowned" Gray but that it is his position to lose as you stated above. That is as close as Kill is going to get in naming a starter before fall camp.

The first is that you have to win the position every day, not at one point in time. This is because Kill wants all his players striving to get better every day.

I understand that, every coach wants that, you still have to get those that are the best players on Saturday on the field, not those that are the best on Monday. Hopefully they will be the same but that is not always the case.

Interesting Question

I understand that, every coach wants that, you still have to get those that are the best players on Saturday on the field, not those that are the best on Monday. Hopefully they will be the same but that is not always the case.

You have raised a very interesting question. As a coach do you play the best player who may not be doing the things that he is being asked to do during the week or do you not play him until he accepts the coaches will? In reality it is a little more complicated than this but it will have great implications on the rest of the team's attitude etc.

How the head coach establishes the culture of the team is critical. I expect that Kill would say you do it my way or it is the highway (Actually he has said that). Kill has also said more than once he wants team players. He also wants them to be athletic.

I would be very curious how others view this question and the answer to it.

So basically your first post was wrong Killjoy.

LOL - You must be a black and white guy. The point is that Gray has secured the job. Coach Kill and Limegrover wouldn't be making the statements they have been making about Gray unless they believed that. Another word, it is Gray's to lose, but Kill isn't going to say that because that is not how coach Kill operates. The real problem is that the article was written by somebody who really doesn't know that much about the team and coach Kill. If he did, he would have qualified his statement about Gray.

I don't know if you are looking for an argument or you are just unwilling to look at what is truly going on when Coach Kill communicates. The man has a very clear reason for everything he says and does. Some people just don't look beyond the actual words to see where he is going and how he is going to do it. He is building a new culture and that requires people to change their models/beliefs. If he were in the business world he would be the takeover guy that would be brought in to restructure the company.

Well, IF killjoy has Coach Kill all figured out and explains how coach Kill is...

it looks as though it might be a pretty long season in 2011. Why, killjoy may very well be Coach Kill speaking himself. killjoy even tries to post trick lead statements so that he can tell us all exactly how coach Kill thinks, motivates and runs his football program. It is pretty obvious...killjoy IS Coach Kill!!!!! wink, wink, wink. laugh, laugh, laugh, IF killjoy is Coach Kill it is ALL over... Ditch macturi before he can screw up even more than he already has... killjoy wouldn't make a good Big Ten, high school or even Pop Warner football coach. What a horrible personality for a football genius killjoy...or...I mean...this person who speaks Coach Kill speak has. I think someone had better keep an eye on this killjoy character. He is trying to speak for Coach Kill and I just don't think he can do Coach Kill justice.

Now, be sure to tune in to killjoy's EVERY insight on Coach Kill! Remember killjoy: it is the Big Ten wins minus the Big Ten losses that make or break every spokesman for every football coach at the University of Minnesota. How many Big Ten games will Coach Kill win in 2011 killjoy???? It really DOES matter a whole bunch... In your opinion, killjoy, just WHAT does Coach Kill think about Big Ten football and the importance of winning a LOT of Big Ten Football Games at the University of Minnesota????? ; 0 )

; 0 )

LOL - You must be a black and white guy. The point is that Gray has secured the job. Coach Kill and Limegrover wouldn't be making the statements they have been making about Gray unless they believed that. Another word, it is Gray's to lose, but Kill isn't going to say that because that is not how coach Kill operates. The real problem is that the article was written by somebody who really doesn't know that much about the team and coach Kill. If he did, he would have qualified his statement about Gray.

I don't know if you are looking for an argument or you are just unwilling to look at what is truly going on when Coach Kill communicates. The man has a very clear reason for everything he says and does. Some people just don't look beyond the actual words to see where he is going and how he is going to do it. He is building a new culture and that requires people to change their models/beliefs. If he were in the business world he would be the takeover guy that would be brought in to restructure the company.
Sounds like we have a Jerry Kill version of FOT. I apologize for not understanding how "Coach Kill" operates. I am truly jealous of your superior understanding of Coach Kill.

imtheidiot

Now, be sure to tune in to killjoy's EVERY insight on Coach Kill! Remember killjoy: it is the Big Ten wins minus the Big Ten losses that make or break every spokesman for every football coach at the University of Minnesota. How many Big Ten games will Coach Kill win in 2011 killjoy???? It really DOES matter a whole bunch... In your opinion, killjoy, just WHAT does Coach Kill think about Big Ten football and the importance of winning a LOT of Big Ten Football Games at the University of Minnesota????? ; 0 )

; 0 )

You seen to believe that by demanding Big Ten wins is how you turn a program around. That may be true in your simplistic mind but that is not how it works.

If you would take time to look at what Jerry has done in the past and what he is trying to do here you might learn something. I expect the reason you don’t is that you don’t have a clue as to how to implement something or change a culture. How do I know this? That is because only a simplistic person would say the same over and over and over again and believe that he is doing something worthwhile. Yet you still continue to spouse your simplistic rhetoric that does nothing to improve the program. Real change requires hard work, not simplistic slogans.

Article

As accurate as any I have read. Why the angst? Must we spin positivity all the time during change? Not at all. We are who we are. A little honesty and integrity can go a long way in the transitional period.

Sounds like we have a Jerry Kill version of FOT. I apologize for not understanding how "Coach Kill" operates. I am truly jealous of your superior understanding of Coach Kill.

You've lost any possibility of respect with your gay bashing in the BB forum.

Top Bottom