Gary Parrish: Rising star Pat Kelsey quit for all the right reasons

Bleed,

your quote, "Interesting read:" summed it up perfectly.

Thanks again, as always, for your links that you share with us.

Doc

Go Gophers!!!

Not just interesting, but an excellent read. The story behind the story is that it shows how difficult it might be to get good coaches and good men to take the meat grinder jobs in the BCS. It doesn't strike me as coincidence that he cites two very successful coaches who are also good family guys at smaller schools, ostensibly with less pressure. The more guys like Few and Stevens that hit success, the better off the profession will be, and it will draw guys like Kelsey instead of sending them packing. It might make it harder to find a coach at middling BCS schools, but the sport will be better off.

In the near future, Kelsey will be volunteer coaching young kids in normal life situations. He will be a terrific influence on them without selling his soul or his family. Good for him.

He will be a terrific influence on them without selling his soul or his family. Good for him.

I second that. Big-time college coaching chews up and spits out a lot of good men. Nice to see when a guy recognizes that and walks away.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but a couple of commentors on the article also speculate THIS might have had something to do with his sudden departure from the spotlight and coaching ...

http://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2019

Seems like a girl is accusing Wake players of raping her, while coach Kelsey was at Wake

This also occured, in a place very familiar to Gophers fans, none other than Miami-Dade County...

and I don't want to insinuate anything about Kelsey in particular, but I think the timing is pretty strange considering when the event allegedly happened > Kelsey leaving WFU and this coming out> Kelsey retiring from bball. That could just be entirely chance/random though.

Yep...interesting timing for Kelsey to step down for "personal reasons"...

ETA: Xavier is facing major sanctions regarding recruiting soon from multiple sources, so that may be it, but VERY curious timing.

Is it conceivable to think that just Kelsey and Gaudio knew on the staff? That's the only thing I can think of. Maybe Battle was a whistle blower. If s*** is also going down at Xavier on the recruiting front and Kelsey is involved it would be hard to believe that wasn't going on here, too. Maybe the two major offenders are gone now. I think the whole staff and AD will (rightly) be under the microscope, but it will be key as to who knew what and when, and how it was handled.

Top Bottom