Championship sites Chicago & Indy

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Bleed posted something similar on the football board. Noteworthy because Big Ten announced for the immediate future Chicago and/or Indy will be the exclusive homes of football (Soldier Field/Lucas Oil), men's basketball (United Center/Conseco) and women's basketball (Sears Centre in suburban Hoffman Estates/Conseco) championships.

Also, Big Ten men's hoops is considering playing a couple conference games in early December to avoid going up against bowl season. I'd be all for it, as it would insure some interesting basketball games for Gopher fans in the month of December.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...hampionship-sites-to-chicago-and-indianapolis

All or None?

Not clear to me in the story whether the league intends to award the tournaments and champoionship on a rotating basis or an all or none type deal. My wild guess is that the city that can come up with the most cash wins, fan enjoyment notwithstanding. Depending on how they sell football tickets, the outside game in Chicago could be a risk if they are betting on a lot of sales when the teams are known. If its advance, no blizzard in December will affect it.

I wasn't real clear, either. With regards to basketball, my hunch is they'll do what they did last time. They'll award the tournament on a 5-year (or perhaps 2-3) contract to one of the two cities.

Boring. Let it come to MSP, Detroit, etc. once in a while.

MSP

Boring. Let it come to MSP, Detroit, etc. once in a while.

I honestly think the Big 10 baskeball Tourney would have a hard time drawing 12,000 fans if it was held in the Twin Cities, unless the Gophers were a powerhouse.

We're just too far in the boondocks.

I honestly think the Big 10 baskeball Tourney would have a hard time drawing 12,000 fans if it was held in the Twin Cities, unless the Gophers were a powerhouse.

I don't know, after Chicago the twin cities are probably the biggest job market for college graduates in the midwest. I know a lot of people that have graduated from Big Ten schools that have moved to the twin cities for a job. As a result, there should be a lot of Big Ten alumni in the area that would probably be interested in going to the tournament to see their team. I agree though, geographically we are about the worst possible host for any of the Big Ten championships.

On an every-year basis maybe. But I think as a once-in-a-decade event it would do fine. We know Bucky fans will come. Iowa too if they're not awful. Similarly, Sparty fans would fill Detroit. It's not as though the place is jammed to the rafters in Indy or Chicago anyway.

Twin Cities

There would be a lot going against the Twin Cities:

> Arena availability. The calenders for both Target Center and the Xcel are already crammed due to State HS Tourneys and WCHA playoffs.
> No school is closer than a 4 hr drive, many would be over 10 hr drives requiring most to fly
> Minnesota weather in early March is sketchy at best
> The attendence for the past 2 NCAA Tourneys at the Dome has been marginal

I don't know, after Chicago the twin cities are probably the biggest job market for college graduates in the midwest. I know a lot of people that have graduated from Big Ten schools that have moved to the twin cities for a job. As a result, there should be a lot of Big Ten alumni in the area that would probably be interested in going to the tournament to see their team. I agree though, geographically we are about the worst possible host for any of the Big Ten championships.

Really? Lincoln? College Station?

Top Bottom