Parking Question/Construction

Breakin' The Plane

Reaction score
So, I've heard there's a great little super secret parking option that our group is going to try this season. Will the construction on Washington Ave. have a major effect on getting down to East River Flats (coming from west metro)?

The way I understand it, Washington Ave will be single lane forever coming from the west with all traffic except buses having to exit at East River Road. So yes, it will be very hard to get to the East River Flats along with anywhere on campus with LRT.

actually shouldn't be too difficult to get to the double-top secret tailgating nirvana of the East Bank Mississippi Flats area. If driving from the west just take 94E and take the Huron Blvd exit and take immediate L turn onto Fulton St SE and head back west for 4 blocks where Fulton runs right into East River Pkwy where it is about a 1/3 mile downhill to the parking area.

Besides, if you are truly tailgating you'll be there 4 hrs + before kickoff and one lane traffic on Washington Ave shouldn't be too taxing and you'll be directed to get off on East River Pkwy anyways and, badda bing, you are right there.

The way I understand it, Washington Ave will be single lane forever coming from the west with all traffic except buses having to exit at East River Road. So yes, it will be very hard to get to the East River Flats along with anywhere on campus with LRT.

I believe they're going to have to keep some cross streets open that will make it easy enough to get to (in addition to the 94/Huron exit option). Don't forget that there is a hospital and ER right next door to the Flats. I doubt they're looking to make it super difficult for ambulances to get there.

From the CCLRT website: Construction will close Washington to vehicle traffic between Pleasant and Oak streets until fall 2012.

Met Council CCLTR alerts

Completely. Use that knowledge in your journeys.

They are shutting down the East River Flats. I wouldn't even attempt to go there on gameday. :p

From the CCLRT website: Construction will close Washington to vehicle traffic between Pleasant and Oak streets until fall 2012.

Met Council CCLTR alerts

Completely. Use that knowledge in your journeys.

I guess in my head I was thinking more post construction (which means I stupidly ignored the point of the question :rolleyes:). So yea...I suck.

It's not any more difficult than it's ever been. Even coming from the west, you can still get off at East River Road and access it that way. All other routes are exactly the same.

Washington Ave Ramp?

Does anyone know how this will affect entering/exiting the Washington Ave. ramp this season.

Does anyone know how this will affect entering/exiting the Washington Ave. ramp this season.

It won't be affected at all. You won't be able to turn onto Washington Ave after you exit, however.

It's not any more difficult than it's ever been. Even coming from the west, you can still get off at East River Road and access it that way. All other routes are exactly the same.
OK. Thanks. For someone that's been a fan of the U since the days of Randy Breuer, I know little about the layout of campus. All I know is there has to be a better tailgating option than the Fair or the West Bank for us poor-type people.

Top Bottom