James manuel

Physically he is an absolute beast. He was also the nicest player at the spring game to the younger kids.

Attachments

• James Manuel.jpg
    James Manuel.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 117

More than looks the part, ran with the 1's all spring. Looks to have the edge on the starting spot next to Royston going into fall.

Royston will most likely get his job back at some point once he regains his playing shape and fitness, however, I think Manuel will be a very good replacement for Royston in 2012 and look forward to watching the kid make plays.

Royston will most likely get his job back at some point once he regains his playing shape and fitness, however, I think Manuel will be a very good replacement for Royston next season and look forward to watching the kid make plays.

What you talking bout Willis?:eek:

Royston will most likely get his job back at some point once he regains his playing shape and fitness, however, I think Manuel will be a very good replacement for Royston next season and look forward to watching the kid make plays.

Next season? Do you mean 2011 or 2012?

I am not sure they use the term free and Strong safety in this defense, but I don't believe the two safety positions are the exactly the same. I may be wrong, but my assumption is that manuel would replace the more run oriented safety position, rather than Royston. For a DB, he is huge, looks big enough to grow into a LB.

Any playbooks from a clinic Claeys talked at floating around? It would be nice to get a good feel for the terminology he uses.

My memory is hazy but I think each db is responsible for a portion of he field in coverage. MV had some articles back in December where he gave overviews of Kill's offense and defense at UNI. I think I will go back and look those over.

Hopefully I'm reading the white board correctly.

c - corner
w - will
m - mike
s - same
F - free
$ - strong safety

http://www.huskiewire.com/multimedia/videos/?id=82

I thought those videos were gone when I went to look at them again a month ago. They are good, and if I understood this one correctly, it would say the strong safety still has to be able to cover a deep sideline pattern, so both safety positions require speed.

It looks and sounds very familiar to the rolls roysten and theret had before. Safeties will roll up on either side and play close to the line, or cover the number two or play two deep. They may put roysten more on the wide side, or they may try to line up manuel initially to have him be the one that plays closer to the line, but given potential movement from the offense I believe you are right that they both need to be able to play physical and fast.

Top Bottom