Sports Illustrated recruiting article

Lincoln gopher

Reaction score
I don't think it has been discussed, but SI had a long article about basketball recruiting in last week's edition. It talked about the time and travel spent by assistant coaches. A couple of comments that caught my eye, were made by Scott Duncan who was an assisant UCLA and in charge of recruiting. He is now at Wyoming. He said that with mid majors it is about evaluating talent, in other words finding the kid who will play for them and maybe rise to the top talent wise, but yet under the radar of the big schools. At UCLA, they knew who could play for them, but had to battle every other major school for the kid. On a side note, UCLA was desperate for a point guard and went after 5 of them last year. They ended up with none of them.

This article goes along with the recruiting theme (read: excessive amount of time) at big-time schools. Kudos to this Xavier assistant for putting his family first.

No question, big-time D-I sports like basketball & football can chew you up and spit you out. I would still argue that big-time basketball & football coaches as well as Athletic Directors -- as quality of people as most of them are -- are required to to sell at least a portion of their souls to win big in their profession.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...1/xavier-assistant-chooses-family-over-career

Top Bottom