The top 20 college hoops jobs

Memphis and Gonzaga are not top 20 jobs. Otherwise I think that list is pretty good.

Thought it was pretty good as well, though I'd have Illinois in there somewhere. I think part of the appeal of Memphis other than good crowd support is the public's perception (fair or not) that Memphis will pretty much admit anybody (see Derrick Rose) if they can dribble a basketball. Coaches like coaching at big-time programs where they'll get any pea-brain they want (cough-cough: Mississippi State comes to mind).

I would switch Purdue with Illinois. If a coach ever locked down Chicago's top talent they could end up number one in the Big Ten. Their fan base is also just as passionate as Purdue.

I would switch Purdue with Illinois. If a coach ever locked down Chicago's top talent they could end up number one in the Big Ten.

1) The Purdue campus is closer to Chicago than the Illinois campus. Closer to basketball-rich Indianapolis, too. (Although, I agree Illinois is a better slightly better gig).

2) I'm not sure it is possible for any one single coach to truly lock down Chicago. Even programs with dirty, deep pockets might not have enough funny $$$$ to buy off all the AAU coaches it would take to truly get all of Chicago's talent each and every year. Programs can go get a couple of guys a year, but it gets pricey dipping into Chicago too much. Plus, if you did get all of the talent, it would harder to hide the cheating. (I say this mostly jokingly, but there is a small slice of truth in it)

I don't feel Texas is a top 10 basketball school, from a recruiting base they are no better than Illinois and haven't had near the success. The other school on the list is Memphis, I just question that.

I think that Cameron Indoor was one of those old relics that has some serious flaws and is outclassed in many ways compared to more modern facilities, but it is tailor-made for basketball and the fan atmosphere is always top notch. I don't think you should say Duke has "unbelievable facilities" - they have unbelievable fan support, but you have to separate that factor and not ignore the reality that their home arena isn't all that - it's kind of like the Wrigley Field of college basketball.

I don't understand the inclusion of Gonzaga - the writer says "we had to put a mid-major in here somewhere" as the justification for the pick. That is some horrible logic. I don't think many coaches would rather be at Gonzaga if they had a choice between them and the likes of Washington, Illinois, and Pitt.

I think that Cameron Indoor was one of those old relics that has some serious flaws and is outclassed in many ways compared to more modern facilities, but it is tailor-made for basketball and the fan atmosphere is always top notch. I don't think you should say Duke has "unbelievable facilities" - they have unbelievable fan support, but you have to separate that factor and not ignore the reality that their home arena isn't all that - it's kind of like the Wrigley Field of college basketball.

I don't understand the inclusion of Gonzaga - the writer says "we had to put a mid-major in here somewhere" as the justification for the pick. That is some horrible logic. I don't think many coaches would rather be at Gonzaga if they had a choice between them and the likes of Washington, Illinois, and Pitt.

The difference between Cameron and Wrigley is at Cameron, the player experience 10000000x better. I've toured both. Wrigley's home lockerroom is small and warn down. Cameron has the combination of a historical facility for fans and state-of-the-art facilities for the players. Duke's lockeroom is crazy nice and Duke has one of the nicest practice facilities in the country. Cameron isn't just what you see on TV. It's a much larger complex with attached basketball buildings that make most blush. Duke funnels much of their athletic budget into the program. From a recruiting perspective, Duke's facilities are very hard to match. Not to mention the aura of Cameron on gameday is better than any place I've seen.

Top Bottom