Doogie to break some news on Tubby?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Two tweets from Doogie:

"Tubby Smith news coming. It's a story @Joe_Schmit & I have been working on for a few days. Details soon. #Gophers"

"Sensitive story w/ Tubby that was impossible to go with without something directly from him. Waiting on statement from him. Details on @KSTP"

Go Gophers!!

Is this what journalism is these days? "I think I might be onto something, I'm not sure enough to actually say it but I wanna say I'm onto something in case someone else breaks the story so I can act like I was first!"

Is this what journalism is these days? "I think I might be onto something, I'm not sure enough to actually say it but I wanna say I'm onto something in case someone else breaks the story so I can act like I was first!"

The wording of his second tweet leads me to believe it is health related. If it is (pure guess on my part, Doogie is hoping we all make guesses I imagine, otherwise why the tweets?) then I would hope for Tubby's sake that he is able to announce this news on his own terms, and not forced to do so because of media pressure.

Hopefully it's not health related and rather something more trivial.

Go Gophers!!

Impossible to run with without something from him... if I played that game, would've run with it middle of last week.

Tweet from Myron:

"U set to release statement soon on Tubby Smith news and soon-to-be-aired @DarrenWolfson @KSTP story"

Go Gophers!!

Easy psycho, Doogie is generating buzz for his network and being responsible about it.

To the, "is that what journalism is these days" guy:

WE DON'T NEED YOU.

YOU DON'T GET IT.

I'm all for breaking a story if there is a story, but I'm not a fan of saying there might be a story if you're not sure. If you need to wait for confirmation, you're not sure.

Tweet from Myron:

"U set to release statement soon on Tubby Smith news and soon-to-be-aired @DarrenWolfson @KSTP story"

Go Gophers!!

Whatever it may be. the very fact the U is set to release a statement on Tubby means it is serious.

Could be something with tubbys health, Saul's health, his marriage, wife's health, taking the Texas a&m job, practice facility (there was some kind of ground breaking on campus today), NCAA violations, accusations from former players, he paid Wade to break rondos arm. all sorts of things. Who knows.

I'm all for breaking a story if there is a story, but I'm not a fan of saying there might be a story if you're not sure. If you need to wait for confirmation, you're not sure.

Nothing wrong with giving us a heads-up so we watch for releases of information when the time is right. The only thing I am sure about is that I am not sure of anything in the future, so I just wait for the news without trying to prognosticate nor complain about being told to be on the look out for something.

I'm not going to rip Doogie... but I'm a bit hesitant to get too worked up about this.

It is sweeps right now for news stations.

Which could mean Joe Schmidt really has something and has spilled a lot of time into it--- or it could be a ton of hype.

I agree with Bleed in that it definitely seems health related. The way Doogie phrased his tweet it seems very unlikely that it is basketball related.

Prostate cancer. Hopefully he can battle through this.

Tweet: "Tubby statement: battling prostate cancer. #Gophers More on @KSTP."

Godspeed Tubby!!

Get well Tubby! Best Wishes

Myron tweet: "Tubby battling prostate cancer, according to U statement. Underwent procedure April 21, says he's "cancer free.""

Doogie tweet: "He is cancer-free. I feel bad for the tease. Really not my nature. It's a story that we waited on for days because of the sensitive nature."

Doogie tweet: "Ran out of characters. Needs to be stressed that Tubby is CANCER-FREE. #Gophers"

Go Gophers!!

This is a perfect example of what journalism has become. Sending out something on Twitter so the masses start guessing about what the release is instead of waiting an hour or two to confirm and release the real facts. It will only get worse as the media is more concerned about being first rather than being accurate.

Pan

FWIW, I side with you on this. Having just seen the statement released by the U, the Doogie tweets seem like a cheap attempt to be first.

OTOH, I do not think of Doogie as a journalist.

IMHO.

Hopefully KSTP got huuuuuggggeeee ratings tonight.

jhan1308l.jpg

This is a perfect example of what journalism has become. Sending out something on Twitter so the masses start guessing about what the release is instead of waiting an hour or two to confirm and release the real facts. It will only get worse as the media is more concerned about being first rather than being accurate.

I'm 99.9% sure that Joe Schmit and Doogie received confirmation on this and could easily of released the facts. I think they absolutely held on to it, and took the higher road as this was sensitive and health related.

High road ?give me a break,how about giving them medals.

The higher road would have been to release the information when the facts were in place.

I'm 99.9% sure that Joe Schmit and Doogie received confirmation on this and could easily of released the facts. I think they absolutely held on to it, and took the higher road as this was sensitive and health related.

GL, I totally agree with you on this, and your wording about taking the higher road is called scruples and ethics. That is more than some our gossip mongers on the comment sections have. They told us something was coming about Tubby, increased our awareness and curiosity, and then gave Tubby the respect he deserves by allowing him to release the news his way. Good job Doogie and Joe.

Doc

@CDH27 -- had the details last week to have done something on Friday a.m. But a story like this needed something from Tubby, not those close to Tubby. I care about getting the story right, not first... but I'd be lying if I didn't want people to watch Ch. 5, & go to kstp.com and 1500espn.com.

All the best to Tubby as this caught early.

Top Bottom