Iowa State dismisses Calvin Godfrey

Reaction score
Hoiberg's Halfway House has a new vacancy. Godfrey, who went to Cooper as a senior (came to the Twin Cities from Milwaukee), was arrested with some weed over the weekend. He had been suspended during the year for a bit this February, but was allowed to stay on the team...

The Mayor has now said his goodbyes. Calvin is out at Iowa State.

Godfrey averaged 5.7 pts and 5.4 reb in just over 20 minutes per game as a freshman.

GoCyclones.com article

How long until the ESPN reality show 'Real Hoopsters of Ames'?

How long until the ESPN reality show 'Real Hoopsters of Ames'?

Seriously, this is a show I would stay home to watch live, I wouldn't even leave it up to DVR.

Too bad he couldn't straighten himself out. I remember seeing him play a year ago, thought he had a great inside presence that we could really use. Then I interviewed him...and knew we just couldn't take another risk, as that was the season we had 1/2 our players on the bench.

Seriously, this is a show I would stay home to watch live, I wouldn't even leave it up to DVR.

Too bad he couldn't straighten himself out. I remember seeing him play a year ago, thought he had a great inside presence that we could really use. Then I interviewed him...and knew we just couldn't take another risk, as that was the season we had 1/2 our players on the bench.

I admit, I'd watch too, if only to hear some Royce White tunes. :D

YES! I can't wait any longer for the Brown and White Entertainment debut album!

Weed in Iowa? Who woulda thunk it?

When do we just start calling all of them I-O-Weed-Jans?

Speaking of Royce, I saw him at the Pulley Tournament this past weekend. I overheard him comment that he is very excited about the Cyclones team for next season. It will be interesting to see how Royce and the band of new players perform for the Cyclones next season.

What do you get when you combine a University of Iowa strength and conditioning coach with an Iowa State University basketball player? Rhabdomycannabis :eek:

After apparently giving Godfrey a second chance, Freddy showed him the door. Godfrey was a productive player as a freshman, so it's not like they were getting rid of a scrub off the end of the bench.

I think it's fair to question Hoiberg about all the transfers, head-cases, etc., but I don't see what he did wrong here. He bid adios to a productive player for enjoying the wacky weed. ... that's a lot more than a lot of coaches would have done.

After apparently giving Godfrey a second chance, Freddy showed him the door. Godfrey was a productive player as a freshman, so it's not like they were getting rid of a scrub off the end of the bench.

I think it's fair to question Hoiberg about all the transfers, head-cases, etc., but I don't see what he did wrong here. He bid adios to a productive player for enjoying the wacky weed. ... that's a lot more than a lot of coaches would have done.

Fair to question Hoiberg and not question tubby?

Tubby didnt dismiss those that enjoyed a bit of the sticky bud.

Fair to question Hoiberg and not question tubby? Tubby didnt dismiss those that enjoyed a bit of the sticky bud.

You do realize I'm crediting Hoiberg for his action vs. Godfrey, not condemning him? Apparently you didn't catch my drift and read between the lines of what I was saying (if indeed it was the wacky weed that got Devron/Devoe in trouble -- I don't know the facts).

Point being, we shouldn't be so quick to judge other programs, and how they handle their discipline. We have no way of knowing the inside scoops of what exactly went on in these individual disciplinary issues (Devron, Devoe, Godfrey), or the severity, but looking at it from the outside (and without knowing the real poop), yes, I agree, I'd say Freddy/ISU handled it with more of a stern fist than Tubby/Minnesota did.

Not directed at you BB, I just get a little tired of the overkill here, people judging, throwing stones and taking enjoyment out of other schools having problems like Iowa (football), Iowa State (basketball) & Ohio State (football) to name a few, like Minnesota is the King of Purity. We've had our share of problems as well.

We don't know what Devoe did or didn't do but we do know Bostick was charged and convicted of possession of marijuana. More worrisome was he was also charged with felony assault of a police officer. These charges were dropped but read in which means they could be re-opened if desired (as I understand the concept).

This all happened in August of Devron's first year with Tubby- not a great way to start your NCAA career. If you want to see the details, click the link and then search Bostick's name. FWIW, Bostick just got charged for driving an unregistered vehicle.

http://wcca.wicourts.gov/index.xsl

To be fair, every case is different. It sounds like Godfrey was a bit of a headcase and Hoiberg was likely releived to have an easy out. In contrast, Bostick always seemed to have very postive energy even though he must not have been happy with his PT.

Then I interviewed him...and knew we just couldn't take another risk,

?

Cus'd, sound tupid, lq on da breth, smok'd-up, slapped your a$$?

\\\\\\\\\\\

Freddy sent a message to his other ALC players, good for him.

The same site also indicates Jordan Taylor should stop being a passenger or taking passengers on his scooter.

I have no clue as to how Hoiberg recruits - but I'm guessing it's one of those things where he's willing to take a 2nd chance on kids, but looks like there's a tight leash. I have no problem with that. He's building a program, just like how Brewster had a to take a chance on a lot of kids - some work, some don't. I do respect the fact that Hoiberg did get rid of him, I think that also sets the standard for the other players. Most coaches wouldn't do the same, I completely agree with that, SS.

You do realize I'm crediting Hoiberg for his action vs. Godfrey, not condemning him? Apparently you didn't catch my drift and read between the lines of what I was saying (if indeed it was the wacky weed that got Devron/Devoe in trouble -- I don't know the facts).

Point being, we shouldn't be so quick to judge other programs, and how they handle their discipline. We have no way of knowing the inside scoops of what exactly went on in these individual disciplinary issues (Devron, Devoe, Godfrey), or the severity, but looking at it from the outside (and without knowing the real poop), yes, I agree, I'd say Freddy/ISU handled it with more of a stern fist than Tubby/Minnesota did.

Not directed at you BB, I just get a little tired of the overkill here, people judging, throwing stones and taking enjoyment out of other schools having problems like Iowa (football), Iowa State (basketball) & Ohio State (football) to name a few, like Minnesota is the King of Purity. We've had our share of problems as well.

Yup - realized it right away.Some folks get tired of tubby not being held to standards.

BB: ".Some folks get tired of tubby not being held to standards."

So you don't think Tubby upheld standards with the DeVoe situation?

BB: ".Some folks get tired of tubby not being held to standards."

So you don't think Tubby upheld standards with the DeVoe situation?

he let the kid get away with $hit for a while, didnt he DR?

How about the standards for winning Dr?

he let the kid get away with $hit for a while, didnt he DR?

How about the standards for winning Dr?

1) 7 game suspension early. 2nd chance and ready for another suspension and DeVoe ran away. Keep it up, dog breath.

2) If those are the only standards that you live by then you are one sorry SOB. Have a good life, BB.

Top Bottom