Miller Staying at Arizona

Not clear on your point. Miller actually met with Maryland, which would constitute more than a rumor

I'm thoroughly shocked. Surely an East Coast native would crawl naked on broken glass all the way to College Park just to have the opportunity to take over the reins of such an elite job. They wouldn't even have to pay him.

I'm thoroughly shocked. Surely an East Coast native would crawl naked on broken glass all the way to College Park just to have the opportunity to take over the reins of such an elite job. They wouldn't even have to pay him.

I'm sure if Georgetown or Pitt were open, he'd have interviewed for them too, seeing as how they're better than Maryland. :cool:

I can virtually guarantee that Miller would take the job at Pitt if offered. And yes, it is a better job. Maryland and Georgetown are about the same.

I can virtually guarantee that Miller would take the job at Pitt if offered. And yes, it is a better job. Maryland and Georgetown are about the same.

If Maryland offers the job to Dixon of Pitt and he accepts it, maybe Miller will get his chance at Pitt and leave Arizona. Or maybe he will turn that down too. I won't make any gurantees.

My preference would be that Maryland offers it to Tubby Smith and he accepts.

In addition to Miller turning the job down, Mike Brey's taken his name out of consideration and Brad Stevens expressed no interest, according to Gary Parrish.
http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/29157629

I'm not a big Tubby booster, but for those who wish for his departure, I can't see how his leaving now would be good at all for the program. In fact, it could be downright disastrous. A few things that I think most Gopher fans wouldn't want to see:
* Joel Maturi making the hire, particularly when a coach may look at his status and determine him to be a lame-duck (if not just plain lame, as many on the board would claim)
* Picking through candidates at this late juncture in the off-season when mid-major coaches are increasingly choosing to stay put. Flip Saunders might be available, but is he a sure thing on the college level? Would the fan base be alright with Tim Miles?
* Very likely the top recruit in this class (Andre Hollins) might ask out from his commitment. He seems to be a pretty big key in next season bringing anything above mediocrity. You also wonder if further attrition for a program that's been pretty damn attrited would occur.

As bga said after the season ended, the program needs for Tubby to turn things around and get this ship righted. Otherwise, the program's looked upon as a dead-end, regardless if that's fair or not, because even Tubby S. couldn't succeed here (national pundits p.o.v., bank on it)

I still would imagine there's a few names the Maryland AD will be considering before he gets to Tubby; but if he's already had to cross Miller, Brey, Jay Wright, Jamie Dixon, and Stevens off the list. . .well, we're getting a bit far down the list now, aren't we?

Reports here in the DC area are that Maryland is now looking at Texas A&M head coach, Mike Turgeon.

Reports here in the DC area are that Maryland is now looking at Texas A&M head coach, Mike Turgeon.

If he turns them down, I'll be shocked. Then they may really get down to Tubby on the list. But it sounds like the AD is pretty adamant about going 'young.'

I do not believe Tubby has been a failure at the U though his performance over the last four seasons surely has not been as good as I expected it to be. It largely is a hyperbole by the bang for the buck crowd. If Tubby leaves the program today, you won’t see many accusing us of being a death trap for coach. The only reasonable conclusion of the Tubby era would be that he perhaps has been overpaid for the job he has done -- I am using “perhaps” because our program is not a type that a straight shooting coach can turn around so easily. Nonetheless, that doesn’t qualify as the failure many here love to argue for. If the next two seasons prove to be a miss, then I would agree that Tubby has failed.

However, dissolving peacefully the partnership between the U and Tubby at the moment may not be such a disastrous idea under the circumstances. Though I hope for otherwise, there is a good possibility that Tubby will not be able to achieve next season what needs to be done in order to keep things from being in complete disarray. If we crash next season in performance and recruiting, then things can get really ugly to the point that Tubby may essentially be a lame duck without palatable outside offers. That is something I want to avoid for the program because it will needlessly put us in limbo over the next few years. The most sensible thing is to wait and see how things unfold next season. However, I would not cry over it if Tubby were offered by Maryland and accepted it because right now we can still redirect our course without having to sacrifice too much. To me, one year of going interim at worst and losing a marginal top 100 prospect, if indeed coming true, still are not much of sacrifice in the grand scheme of things.

Top Bottom