Gophers reportedly offer 2011 F Jared Guest

Reaction score
5th year high schooler from the Carolinas.. 6'8", has gotten bigger during high school... 3/4 type guy. Per @scoutsfocus, Tubby just offered. Maryland had interest...

@BigJayBee
6'8" F Jared Guest just finished a year of post-grad (ie, 5th year) prep. Has gotten bigger, had Maryland interest, Tubby offered #Gophers

So Ralph is for sure gone now? I thought there was an "outstanding player who wanted to transfer to the Gophers." Is this a sign the departures aren't finished?

Here is a little info on Guest's recruitment and a short video:

http://theterrapinnation.com/2011/04/08/terps-to-host-2011-forward-early-next-week/

I'd really prefer to hold on to any potentially open scholarship as the amount of Spring recruits i this program right now is embarrassing. On the other hand, Guests offers from Georgia, Clemson, and Xavier are better than many of the other Spring recruits we have taken.

looks like he has game like Paul Carter... could be a nice athletic 3/4 probably better then Ralph with what type of team we will have next yr.. I too think it would be wise to bank a scholarship or 2 but I think we have learned in the past we need all the players we can get with suspensions and academic issues

Without Ralph tha truth Sampson

PG-Andre Hollins/Julian Welch/Maverick Ahanmisi
SG-Austin Hollins/Joe Coleman/Chip Armelin
SF-Rodney Williams/Oto Osenieks/Guest?/Halvorsen (Walk on)
PF-Trevor Mbakwe/Andre Ingram/Dawkins (Walk on)
C-Mo Walker/Elliot Elliason

That is a very deep, long and athletic team ready to press and get into the faces of any team

(sorry if I missed anyone all this player turnover can be hard to keep track of)

looks like he has game like Paul Carter... could be a nice athletic 3/4 probably better then Ralph with what type of team we will have next yr.. I too think it would be wise to bank a scholarship or 2 but I think we have learned in the past we need all the players we can get with suspensions and academic issues

That is a very deep, long and athletic team ready to press and get into the faces of any team

(sorry if I missed anyone all this player turnover can be hard to keep track of)

I'd really like to have Ralph back, but if he were to leave I think Tubby might go a little smaller at times with Trevor at the 5 and Andre, Oto, or even Rodney at the 4. It seems like the potential is there for a team that could really get up and down the court.

It makes no sense, I have to believe it is a conditional offer based on what Sampson does. I can't believe Sampson has made up his mind yet.

I hear you JOVS, but again, I can't believe Ralph would have even considered going pro, so it is obvious he is not thinking clearly on the subject.

5th year high schooler....so he would still be a freshman when he arrives on campus right?

That's my understanding, Royal...would have 4 years of elligibility but will probably leave for the NBA after 3 years. :)

5th year high schooler....so he would still be a freshman when he arrives on campus right?

Yes. There are many such players in college ball. One recent example would be a Gopher frosh last year - Maverick Ahanmisi.

With a team this quick and deep, we better press much more next season and apply more pressure defensively. Seems like the times we do press it's already too late and we are in near desperation mode. This is one thing I never really understood about Tubby as defensive minded as he is.

Since Sampson is staying do we have a scholarship for Guest? Seems like the boat is full…

Since Sampson is staying do we have a scholarship for Guest? Seems like the boat is full…

If they want him, they can open up a scholarship.

Is Guest still planning a visit to Minnesota? Thanks

We may not always have a scholarship, but let's be blunt, there are lots of work-study situations available.

I have a grant for about 20 grand a year and also work in as a dining room assistant and an arboretum laborer for a salary of about 9.28 per hour. That is work study.

We may not always have a scholarship, but let's be blunt, there are lots of work-study situations available.

I don't believe you are eligible for other school scholarships/grants/aid once the athletic program expresses interest in giving you a scholarship. (That's not to say you aren't eligible for the Pell Grant and other non-school sponsored aid)

Top Bottom