Fire up the rumor mill - Gary Williams to retire

Lonergan

I'll predict a longshot, Mike Lonergan. Briefly was an assistant for Williams @ Maryland and he's done a superb job at Vermont. He built a D-III power at Catholic U in D.C., so he knows the area.

http://www.mikelonergan.com/bio.asp

I've often thought Maryland would be the one job Tubby would leave for. I still do. However, I don't think Maryland wants to go from one legendary but over-the-hill coach right into another one. They can, and should do better.

This does beg to question, where's that contract extension, Joel? Still 'with the lawyers, I'll bet, huh? :cool:

We need a Keith Olberman-style calendar to monitor this. '365 days since Tubby's contract extension. was 'with the Lawyers.'

I heard from a reliable source who is close to the situation that Maryland will go after Tim Miles from Colorado State.

And yes, Tubby would leave Minnesota for Maryland. I've never said Tubby would go to any of the previous schools that had openings, but Maryland is the one job Tubby would bolt the U for. If Maryland offers Tubby, I think he's gone. I've heard that Maryland is his dream job (not UK).

I've often thought Maryland would be the one job Tubby would leave for. I still do. However, I don't think Maryland wants to go from one legendary but over-the-hill coach right into another one. They can, and should do better.

Even though Tubby is from Maryland, I've never heard that he had an attatchment to the school. He went to coll. in NC, and has never even been an assistant in the ACC. Moot anyway as your post so eloquently points out.

And yes, Tubby would leave Minnesota for Maryland. I've never said Tubby would go to any of the previous schools that had openings, but Maryland is the one job Tubby would bolt the U for. If Maryland offers Tubby, I think he's gone. I've heard that Maryland is his dream job (not UK).

What source do you hear that from? Never seen anything about it before. And seriously, did ANYONE think UK would be his dream job again? Or did you mean it wasn't even when he took it?

Even though Tubby is from Maryland, I've never heard that he had an attatchment to the school.

Tubby was offered a scholarship to play hoops at Maryland, was ready to go play there, and then the scholarship was pulled after a coaching change (I believe when Lefty took over). He ended up at High Point.

I've heard he's always wanted to go back and "prove" he belonged at his homestate school Maryland.

And, I agree with most, Maryland will not pursue Tubby now. Ten years ago? Yes.

What source do you hear that from? Never seen anything about it before. And seriously, did ANYONE think UK would be his dream job again? Or did you mean it wasn't even when he took it?

For a self-proclaimed "long time Gopher fan" you sure seem to reference "UK" a lot in your posts. I don't know a single "long time Gopher fan who calls Kentucky "UK." I do know a lot of KY fans who do, though. I don't know a lot of Gopher fans who paid so close attention to the OSU-KY NCAA game that they would cite it multiple times in the first two days of posting all the while proclaiming KY's superiority of OSU, either. But, you sure have.

But, hey, I'm probably barking up the wrong tree. I've done that before.

Tubby was offered a scholarship to play hoops at Maryland, was ready to go play there, and then the scholarship was pulled after a coaching change (I believe when Lefty took over). He ended up at High Point.

I've heard he's always wanted to go back and "prove" he belonged at his homestate school Maryland.

And, I agree with most, Maryland will not pursue Tubby now. Ten years ago? Yes.

Even 2 years ago maybe. Gary's decline and Tubby's struggles make it a non-starter. They are peas in the same pod. Think about it this way: How excited would we be if Tubby left and we hired Gary Williams to replace him? Tepid at best, and MN is not Maryland.

For a self-proclaimed "long time Gopher fan" you sure seem to reference "UK" a lot in your posts. I don't know a single "long time Gopher fan who calls Kentucky "UK." I do know a lot of KY fans who do, though. I don't know a lot of Gopher fans who paid so close attention to the OSU-KY NCAA game that they would cite it multiple times in the first two days of posting all the while proclaiming KY's superiority of OSU, either. But, you sure have.

Yes he is a Kentucky fan posing as a Gopher fan who is "concerned" about the direction of the program under Tubby. I think he's on borrowed time here though.

Type UK and Kentucky 10 times each, see which one you use. Plus my friend there uses it exclusively, it rubs off.

As for UK-OSU, am I the ONLY Gopher fan that watches basketball outside the Big 10? I'd talk about UConn-Butler too, but I don't see the relevance in making a BT comparison. I watched every minute of Kansas-VCU too(still amazed at that one) but can't see any relevance there to a BT discussion either. BTW, I don't think KY(if you prefer) was superior to OSU, I'd bet the
Bucks would win 4 of 7. But the point was that OSU was the overall #1 seed, and KY was able to
physically push them around in a way no BT team did. So I don't think OSU was the dominating team we wanted them to be as the cream of the BT.

KY was able to physically push them around in a way no BT team did. So I don't think OSU was the dominating team we wanted them to be as the cream of the BT.

Well, I watched the game, too, but did not come away from it with the same feeling you did. The game was basically a draw (62-60 final; OSU led 58-57 with 1:30 left in the game). KY outrebounded OSU by 1 (31-30). I don't think KY out-muscled OSU. Sullinger had 16 rebounds. Craft had 6 boards and 4 steals. The fact of the matter was OSU lost simply because it shot poorly (especially by their standards - Buford was 2-16). They just never seemed to get it going. I don't think it had to do with KY pushing them around.

But, you likely watched it with much more interest than did I, so I'll defer to you and your analysis.

what in the hell do we have to do around here to get rid of this whathavewedone guy? Is this gonna be as hard as getting rid of dboy???

Washington Post:

Pittsburgh’s Jamie Dixon, Arizona’s Sean Miller, Notre Dame’s Mike Brey and Villanova’s Jay Wright are expected to be high on Maryland’s target list as the school looks to replace Gary Williams, Maryland’s winningest coach who unveiled his plans to retire Thursday. Others who could be in the mix include Gonzaga Coach Mark Few, who has been a friend of Gary Williams for some time, Minnesota Coach Tubby Smith and Virginia Commonwealth Coach Shaka Smart.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...-as-head-coach/2011/05/05/AFYMZe2F_story.html

Go Gophers!!

From Shooter:

"DON'T PRINT THAT

No doubt the Gophers' Tubby Smith will be among coaches prominently mentioned as a possible successor to Gary Williams, 66, who on Thursday announced his retirement as Maryland men's basketball coach.

Smith, 59, was born in Scotland, Md., a couple of hours from the university. Although it's believed that the Maryland job is one that would interest Smith, people close to him say he has not expressed interest in it because it hasn't been open when he has been available.

Smith, who has been at Minnesota for four years, no longer has a contract buyout penalty if he were to leave the Gophers.

Smith, who is signed through 2014 at Minnesota for nearly $2 million annually, might be worth $2.5 million a year to Maryland. The Maryland job is easily considered among the top 20 in the country, and there will be a long line of coaches seeking it.

Smith hasn't been thrilled at Minnesota about a delay in getting a practice facility that he has been seeking. Meanwhile, contract extension negotiations between Smith's representation and Minnesota attorneys has been ongoing.

If Smith, who is headed to Saturday's Kentucky Derby, were to leave Minnesota, the top candidate to replace him would be former Gophers guard Flip Saunders, 56, who resides in Medina and has two years remaining as coach of the Washington Wizards for $8 million. Saunders might be willing to return to his alma mater for the right deal.

Saunders' son Ryan, a former Gophers guard, is an assistant with the Wizards, as is Don Zierden, whose son Isaiah is a junior guard at Benilde-St. Margaret's and a Division I prospect. Don Zierden would be expected to follow Flip to Minnesota."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_18003955

Go Gophers!!

It sounds like Brey or Wright might be the top candidates.

From Shooter: If Smith, who is headed to Saturday's Kentucky Derby, were to leave Minnesota, the top candidate to replace him would be former Gophers guard Flip Saunders, 56, who resides in Medina and has two years remaining as coach of the Washington Wizards for $8 million. Saunders might be willing to return to his alma mater for the right deal.

Saunders' son Ryan, a former Gophers guard, is an assistant with the Wizards, as is Don Zierden, whose son Isaiah is a junior guard at Benilde-St. Margaret's and a Division I prospect. Don Zierden would be expected to follow Flip to Minnesota."

I'm all for Flip to be the next Gophers coach. Granted he's loaded; would he give up 4 million?

At this point of his career, Tubby should be concerned about his legacy. I am not sure if Tubby can stomach some negative connotations of his leaving for Maryland. If Maryland offers and Tubby takes, that will be a “slick” move.

If the slick move does happen, however, it may not be the worst way to end an era.

The character issue cuts both ways. The local media will continue to pound upon the issues about character and bang for the buck, and people will only tolerate them if Tubby produces results. And, it is unlikely that Tubby will produce results that are meaningful enough for the bang for the buck crowd any time soon. At the same time, one does not want to work with/for people who question his character and integrity. Can the Tubby era march on like that? Under the circumstances, the Maryland thing may be alright for all the parties involved.

Even though Tubby is from Maryland, I've never heard that he had an attatchment to the school. He went to coll. in NC, and has never even been an assistant in the ACC. Moot anyway as your post so eloquently points out.

Shouldn't you be over on the Maryland board warning them of the doom and gloom that is sure to follow four years later if they do hire Tubby?

You don't have to wait four years and then spill your crocodile tears and rehash a memory that will then be eight years old about how a "friend in Kentucky" (wink, wink) knew all along the path they would be travelling.

No, really...head on over there.

Shouldn't you be over on the Maryland board warning them of the doom and gloom that is sure to follow four years later if they do hire Tubby?

You don't have to wait four years and then spill your crocodile tears and rehash a memory that will then be eight years old about how a "friend in Kentucky" (wink, wink) knew all along the path they would be travelling.

No, really...head on over there.

I agree. You could become the Paul Revere of Maryland hoops. Much more worthwhile then hanging around jerks like us who won't respond to your idiocy, er, well thought out opinions with constructive critiques.

Sid on Tubby:

"Tubby won't leave

It's interesting that every time a top college basketball coaching job develops, the name of the Gophers' Tubby Smith is always mentioned.

Now it's Maryland with Gary Williams retiring.

Well, I talk to Smith three or four times a week when he is in town, and it's obvious if somebody calls him, he is going to listen.

He did listen to Missouri during the week of the Final Four, and even though the Tigers made him a great offer, he rejected the position. He could have had the Georgia Tech job if he had shown some interest in it and had his agent make the phone call. But he didn't make a move.

Right now he is all excited about opening a branch of his Tubby Smith Foundation here and about his inaugural golf tournament in September at Edina Country Club, among other things, to raise money for children in need.

I believe it will take a fantastic offer for Smith to leave, but it won't happen.

Furthermore, if he did move, the Gophers wouldn't need a search committee to name a successor, because there is no doubt that former Gophers player Flip Saunders, now the Washington Wizards coach, would be offered the job immediately by Joel Maturi, as Saunders was before Smith became interested in 2007.

And I'm convinced that this time, Saunders would leave the pros to become the Gophers coach. And if he didn't, there is a good chance another ex-Gophers standout, one Kevin McHale, would be standing in line."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/121448324.html

Go Gophers!!

Kevin McHale as the next Gophers coach? More vintage, priceless stuff from Grandpa Sid. I wouldn't have Flip near the top of my list, either, but at least that would make some sense. I'm surprised homer Sid didn't throw the name of Ryan Wolf (who I think is in jail) in there as well!

Top Bottom