Rule changes: some good, some bad

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
I like using the NBA arc under the basket. Can't stand all the flopping that goes on, especially near the basket. This rule change will help the striped shirts.

Naturally, a rule that would prohibit coaches from calling a time out while the ball is still live was voted down. I absolutely hate that coaches can bail out their players when they get trapped, etc. Players should have to think for themselves on occasion, but no, the micromangaing head coaches have to control everything. Makes me puke when coaches go running to the official to get a time out because their players can't figure things out for themselves.

As for more replay, great, add that to the million time outs we have every game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=6480177

I think you misread the rule proposal. I believe the rule voted down was to allow ONLY coaches to call time out. Or maybe it was 2 seperate proposals. Either way I wouldn't want to see it change. Coaches just need to do a better job of teaching their players that it's not worth wasting a time out to secure a loose ball in a tie game 27 seconds in to the second half.

Whoops, I see it was a different article than I read the other day. So it was two different proposals. Have to say I don't like coaches being able to call time out when the ball is live either.

Something I'd like to see addressed as well is the player jumping out of bounds with the ball and calling time out befiore he hits the floor. Somehow this crept in to the game by default. Years ago a player doing that would NOT have been given the TO. But without any actual change in the rules, the interpretation just changed by default a while back.

Whoops, I see it was a different article than I read the other day. So it was two different proposals. Have to say I don't like coaches being able to call time out when the ball is live either.

Something I'd like to see addressed as well is the player jumping out of bounds with the ball and calling time out befiore he hits the floor. Somehow this crept in to the game by default. Years ago a player doing that would NOT have been given the TO. But without any actual change in the rules, the interpretation just changed by default a while back.

Just so you know this rule has been changed it was 2 or 3 years ago. I player can't not call a timeout when he is jumping out of bounds. In high school u can call a timeout and college u can not.

Just so you know this rule has been changed it was 2 or 3 years ago. I player can't not call a timeout when he is jumping out of bounds. In high school u can call a timeout and college u can not.

Then it must still be very SUBJECTIVE about what constitutes jumping ( guess I should include
falling) out of bounds. Cause I still see a lot of TO's granted to players that certainly look as if
they are not in control and are going out of bounds.

If you jump going out bounds with possesion of the ball, in the air you can't not grant a timeout. Falling out of bounds your feet are still on the ground so yes u could grant a timeout. Hope that clears it up for u alittle.

Top Bottom