Shooter: Orono's Jordan Smith likely walking on at Wisconsin

BleedGopher

Reaction score
"Jordan Smith, who helped lead Orono to the Class AAA high school boys basketball state championship this season, has visited Wisconsin and Butler, and it appears he'll become a walk-on at Wisconsin. Early in the season, there was talk that Smith was interested in attending Harvard."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_17994460?nclick_check=1

Go Gophers!!

That's too bad (for UW). Jordan did interviews with two of the UW recruiting sites last week saying how excited he was to be joining the UW program, but I suppose it's hard to turn down a scholarship offer. He and Zach Bohannon (transferring to UW from Air Force) would have been a really nice pair of walk-ons for the program.

The kid's a bit of an enigma. Played for Chris Carr and is well versed in play making but more of a shooter and he's a very good shooter. Decent 2 guard size but not an elite athlete. Never has struck me as a physical kid but in the right offense I could see him having a really nice year.

I'd be curious to hear what some think the differences between Zierden and Smith might be. I see very similar kids.

I think Zierden can create better. A little more physical, more elusive off the dribble, and a bit more edge and attitude.

Jordan Smith has a ways to go before he could become a Big Ten contributor.

Ryan James tweeted on this as well, he is still planning to walk-on with the BADgers ... he is now the enemy!

enough with these dam punks going to wisconsin!!

cant tubby keep these kids? even as walk ons?

enough with these dam punks going to wisconsin!!

cant tubby keep these kids? even as walk ons?

I think it has more to do with Tubby not WANTING them. He rejected Anthony Tucker as well, being he likes his guard depth.

Julian Welch (Jr.) -PG
Andre Hollins (Fr.) -PG
Maverick Ahanmisi (So.) -PG
Joe Coleman (Fr.) -SG
Chip Armelin (So.) -SG
Austin Hollins (So.) -SG

To Mn via Marquette and Miami Dade.......

No different than Monson getting Humphrey, Rickert, Boone after the fact.

well, im sick of the sconi's getting 4-5 solid minnesota players, no matter what the circumstances are.

Yeah. Tubby has a fantastic record of picking the "right" Mn kid.

Wisconsin offered both Rodney and Royce (Didn't offer Trevor or Coleman). Does that mean they can't "pick" them either?

Wisconsin wanted both Rodney and Royce, they didn't get them. Tubby did.

Tubby has not lost an instate kid to Wisconsin since he got here. I don't know where some posters get the idea that this has been a problem. The problem has been talented kids transferring for various reasons (some Tubby shares some blame in) and replacing them with Spring recruits of questionable talent.

Wisconsin offered both Rodney and Royce (Didn't offer Trevor or Coleman). Does that mean they can't "pick" them either?

Wisconsin wanted both Rodney and Royce, they didn't get them. Tubby did.

I was scouring the gopher website for Royce's stat line for the past two years. Can't seem to locate it. Please provide me with the data to back up "Tubby did".

Also, please show me the stats that indicate Williams had a better year than say, Jordan Taylor or on pace for a better career than say Jon Leuer.

Emotional outbursts aside, Tubby has yet to prove he can recruit the Mn kid well (and keep them on the damn roster).

I was scouring the gopher website for Royce's stat line for the past two years. Can't seem to locate it. Please provide me with the data to back up "Tubby did".

Also, please show me the stats that indicate Williams had a better year than say, Jordan Taylor or on pace for a better career than say Jon Leuer.

Emotional outbursts aside, Tubby has yet to prove he can recruit the Mn kid well (and keep them on the damn roster).

http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=17...dURL=http://minnesota.scout.com/2/748828.html

There is Royce committing.

Taylor and Leuer were already committed to WI when Tubby came. That has been well documented on this website before. Nice try, troll.

In addition to RW/RW, Tubby got the best (ranked) player out of MN this year.

http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=17...dURL=http://minnesota.scout.com/2/748828.html

There is Royce committing.

Taylor and Leuer were already committed to WI when Tubby came. That has been well documented on this website before. Nice try, troll.

In addition to RW/RW, Tubby got the best (ranked) player out of MN this year.

Tubby admitted that he did not pursue Taylor because Nolen was on the team. Bruzewitz was not recruited and was a starter for the Badgers.

My complaint with Tubby and his staff is that none of his recruits is being developed. Recruiting is only a part of being a head coach of a Big 10 program. Player developement is just as important.

Tubby admitted that he did not pursue Taylor because Nolen was on the team.

wikipedian_protester.png

Hoffarber, Nolen, Johnson, Westbrook, Joseph, Mbakwe, Sampson, and RWjr. have all noticably gotten better, some more than the others, but thats not necessarily all tubby's staff's fault.

Tubby admitted that he did not pursue Taylor because Nolen was on the team.

What about the fact that Taylor gave his verbal commitment to Wisconsin before Tubby's final season at Kentucky had even begun?

What about the fact that Taylor gave his verbal commitment to Wisconsin before Tubby's final season at Kentucky had even begun?

Tubby did not say (as a prior poster implied) that he did not offer Taylor because he had Nolen, Tubby's biggest REGRET, he said, was not trying harder to convince Taylor to change his commitment.

(However, this is from Sid ...)

And looking back to his first year of recruiting, Smith said the one regret he had was that he didn't try to get potential All-America guard Jordan Taylor of Wisconsin to change his commitment and come to Minnesota.

With Taylor in the Gophers lineup, rest assured the Badgers would be a lot less potent and the Gophers would have won a lot more games.

"We had Nolen coming in at the time, and I didn't want to recruit another guard," Smith said about the Taylor situation.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/117471068.html

Tubby did not say (as a prior poster implied) that he did not offer Taylor because he had Nolen, Tubby's biggest REGRET, he said, was not trying harder to convince Taylor to change his commitment.

(However, this is from Sid ...)

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/117471068.html

Careful... you're inferring that he did try. Would you be comfortable with a coach who tried hard to get kids who had publicly committed to change their minds?

I think Tubby did not try, at all, to convince Taylor to change his commitment and that Smith's comments were simply meant as a compliment to Taylor.

Smith made virtually no effort to convince Taylor to change his mind despite numerous attempts from his AAU program to Smith in the month's prior to his official commitment to have him refocus his recruiting efforts.

Careful... you're inferring that he did try. Would you be comfortable with a coach who tried hard to get kids who had publicly committed to change their minds?

I think Tubby did not try, at all, to convince Taylor to change his commitment and that Smith's comments were simply meant as a compliment to Taylor.

You are correct, my apologies.

You do wonder, though, if maybe he should have offered Bruesewitz.

Tubby has not lost an instate kid to Wisconsin since he got here. I don't know where some posters get the idea that this has been a problem. The problem has been talented kids transferring for various reasons (some Tubby shares some blame in) and replacing them with Spring recruits of questionable talent.

You do wonder, though, if maybe he should have offered Bruesewitz.

No, you don't. We had Paul Carter and Damian Johnson on the roster and were recruiting Rodney Williams and Royce White. The recruiting class of White, Williams, Mbakwe, and Cobbs left no room to even consider a Bruesewitz offer.

Carrot top is going to be a star next year. I respect that prediction as much as I respected Gottlieb's prediction for Illinois.

No, you don't. We had Paul Carter and Damian Johnson on the roster and were recruiting Rodney Williams and Royce White. The recruiting class of White, Williams, Mbakwe, and Cobbs left no room to even consider a Bruesewitz offer.

OT: What was the story with Locket in that class? Did Tubby not recruit him that hard or did he just not want to be a Gopher?

I understand why Tubby liked Rodney (He is still looking for his Gophers Tayshaun Prince) and we will see next year how good Rodney is, I'm not giving up on him, but knowing what we do now to have Locket over White or Cobbs would have been great.

Top Bottom