Gophers recruiting PF Perry Ellis

BleedGopher

Reaction score
TK: Is your list still Kansas, Kansas State, Wichita State, Kentucky, Oklahoma and Memphis? Did the coaching change at Oklahoma affect them being on your list?

PE: They are still on the list. Assistant coach Crutch (Chris Crutchfield) came to open gym in April and Coach Kruger has called and e-mails my mom. I stil have the same six on my list. Tubby Smith called me tonight though.

http://www.nationofblue.com/10-questions-perry-ellis-7047/

Go Gophers!!

If Ellis doesn't go to KU, they will torch the state. Actually heard someone in the stands say something to that effect last weekend at the Jayhawk Invitational.

Are there any other names floating out there for 2011 or are we pretty much done? If they have an idea that Ralph might go, I wonder if they're still looking at some others? Thanks in advance.

I enjoy his clothing line. I wonder if he is as good at basketball as he is at fashion design.

Are there any other names floating out there for 2011 or are we pretty much done? If they have an idea that Ralph might go, I wonder if they're still looking at some others? Thanks in advance.

Perry Ellis is a 2012 guy, but I haven't really heard any other names pop up for 2011 either.

I enjoy his clothing line. I wonder if he is as good at basketball as he is at fashion design.

He was born in Portsmouth, VA - home (for 59 years now) of the Portsmouth Invitational basketball tournament.

However, I doubt he played much basketball. Passed away in 1986 from AIDS-related complications.

It's been too long since I've been to a TJ Maxx.

TK: Is your list still Kansas, Kansas State, Wichita State, Kentucky, Oklahoma and Memphis? Did the coaching change at Oklahoma affect them being on your list?

PE: They are still on the list. Assistant coach Crutch (Chris Crutchfield) came to open gym in April and Coach Kruger has called and e-mails my mom. I stil have the same six on my list. Tubby Smith called me tonight though.

http://www.nationofblue.com/10-questions-perry-ellis-7047/

Go Gophers!!

Is it just me or does Tubby seem to be a step slow on recruiting a lot? It would seem to me that the only hope you have of getting the really highly rated guys is to work on them longer and harder than anybody else to build a relationship and loyalty. I have no background here so I could be wrong.

Is it just me or does Tubby seem to be a step slow on recruiting a lot? It would seem to me that the only hope you have of getting the really highly rated guys is to work on them longer and harder than anybody else to build a relationship and loyalty. I have no background here so I could be wrong.

It certainly seems to be consistent theme that the Gophers are late to the party on the recruiting scene. I know it worked with Andre Hollins, but it also appeared from comments Hollins made that he would have went to Stanford if another guard didn't commit first. I don't think Minnesota has to work kids harder and longer than anybody else to land elite talent, but the staff does not have the same cache as Duke, UNC, and Kansas to just pick up the phone and immediately jump to the top of a kids list.

Any decision making with limited resources and incomplete information presents a problem of risk vs. reward. Recruiting is no different in that regard.

One strategy is to commit the limited resources to recruiting a number of potential McD players from the get go. Considering our brand, facilities, the system Tubby runs, whatnot, in comparison with the other suitors’, it is far less likely to land them. After that, say, the second phase is to target good yet relatively lesser players we have a better chance with. However, they may already have established a better relationship with someone else by then. It is a high risk strategy with high potential reward.

Another strategy is to use the resources first to recruit good players we have a better chance with. After that, we can try to hijack even higher caliber players less likely available to us in the first place. Moderate risk with moderate potential reward.

Tubby has been moderate, and I would guess he is getting into the next phase for 2012.

From Perry Ellis' blog:

"Coach Tubby Smith called me a little over a week ago. I had heard he was going to be contacting me so I wasn’t surprised. He talked to my mom and me for quite a while. He is a great coach won a national championship at Kentucky so it was a pleasure to get the opportunity to talk to him."

http://www.nationofblue.com/nob-recruiting-journal-perry-ellis-may-16th-7278/

Go Gophers!!

From Perry Ellis' blog:

"Coach Tubby Smith called me a little over a week ago. I had heard he was going to be contacting me so I wasn’t surprised. He talked to my mom and me for quite a while. He is a great coach won a national championship at Kentucky so it was a pleasure to get the opportunity to talk to him."

http://www.nationofblue.com/nob-recruiting-journal-perry-ellis-may-16th-7278/

Go Gophers!!

Gophers will need two PF/C guys for next year to replace Ralph and Trevor, Ellis would definitley be a huge get for MN, him and Andre could be a great tandum in the Big10. Would be fun to watch!

I think the Gophers will sign a taller wing that can shoot and a big man for our two current 2012 recruits. You can see on the scout link (not that they are all knowing) that we have offered two 6’5” sf/sg and two big men. Seems like if Williams can shoot next year he will go Pro and if he can't then getting some help at sf would be smart.

Demarquise Johnson 6-5/185 DeJuan Marrero 6-5 210
A.J. Hammons 6-10/260 Khaliq Spicer 6-8/215

http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&yr=2012

Top Bottom